“Wonderful, simply wonderful”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2016

My boyfriend and I have become regulars at Free Range. The reason is very simple. The food is great, the people are friendly and the prices are fair.
The menu isn't over the top. Straight forward and delicious. We like the curry dishes, the sandwiches and I love the short ribs. The bartender Ashley is a sweetheart and the owners are delightful. Anne and Rick (they are both cute btw) always seem to be at the door and waiting to invite you in. So whether you are a regular in this area or just plain your first trip I encourage you to try Free Range.

Date of visit: January 2016

Reviewed February 24, 2016 via mobile

When my wife & I ate in the Resturant we were really pleased with the congenial atmosphere and the food. We stopped in to split a sandwich & salad and they more than met expectations. The Ruben was superb, piled high with lean meat, sauce & sauerkraut on rye bread. The beet salad was also superb with greens, yellow & red beets, and maple walnuts. Both selections were enough to satisfy us even though they were single servings. Both the waitress & the owner treated us and made us feel welcome.
We also took our in- laws to the Resturant over the weekend for dinner. We started with the maple cocktails and they were superb. Don't miss them. We males had the pork chops which were huge and delicious. I had to take some home. My wife & her sister had the steak which came with fries. They were somewhat disappointed because of the grease under them, but the steak was excellent!
All in all, a good Resturant with high quality, good food and a pleasant atmosphere! We will go again soon.

Reviewed February 23, 2016

My family needed to get out of the house so we took a ride to Chester to walk around. There is always the book store to stop at or some shops to check out. Six of us stopped for lunch at The Free Range Restaurant. Lunch was good. I found that the fish had a light batter and the fish tasted real fresh. The others were pleased. We didn't have dessert there because we wanted to try the pie at the pie bakery up the street. The restaurant happens to have the same pie but we told the baker that we would stop back to pick up dessert.

Reviewed February 23, 2016

This is the kind of place you expect to find in a larger city. Interesting combinations, deep flavors, local emphasis. Off to a great start with a "Vermont and Stormy" cocktail, great French Onion Soup and tasty, large entrees. Service is good and they are honest with you if the chef is a bit behind. Lovely atmosphere and meal.

Reviewed February 7, 2016

I was dining in Ludlow last week. The lovely person sitting next to me said if I got to Chester to get to The Free Range and mention her name. I wasn't skiing today so drove down for brunch. I liked the look of the place the moment I walked in. Add being greeting by multiple smiling faces and I'm already happy! I had planned to read the NYT while I dined by myself. But remembered to mention the woman who sent me to Free Range. Imagine my surprise when she herself appeared a minute later! She was dining there, too and invited me to join her. What I hadn't gleaned was she worked there! So not only did I have company, but I met the owners, the servers ... felt like family! And that was before the food! I started with a lovely Mimosa. (had I known at the outset there were blue cheese olives in the Bloodies I might have started with that instead! :-) ). One of the specials was a biscuit with country gravy, a favorite of mine after spending time in Georgia. It was delicious. So was the crab cake Benedict my new friend shared. All wonderful! If I didn't have a drive back to my place, I would have stayed for another beverage and more chat. There are other items I want to try in the future. Thank you, all!

Date of visit: February 2016

Been to The Free Range? Share your experiences!