“Getting there”

Cortina Inn and Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Mendon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Years ago, as a child with my folks, we couldn't afford to stay here.Now, after a very unfortunate outbreak of Legionnaires , The Cortina is on a come back. I was quite excited to go, especially since they accept pets and our dog ALWAYS travels with us. The rooms do need more attention (and cleaning) and the showers could do with a good scrubbing, even some camping sites I have been in were cleaner. But, the bed was comfortable, the sheets clean and the staff very nice. Having breakfast each morning was great. We especially enjoyed the huge firs place where we could sit and enjoy or wine and chat with other guests. The folks here are undertaking a HUGE project to get The Cortina back to her full and former self. I know it will take a while but in the meantime, they are doing a heck of a job and we will be back next winter! (Or maybe even this summer for a nice little vacation).

Room Tip: Downstairs is the best!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 March 2012

This was out third stay at the Cortina Inn after a three year break to ski elsewhere and it was a pleasure to see it back up and running, albeit some of the hotel was not fully open, but this did not detract from our 10 day stay there.
We travelled with family and friends from the UK and also met up with friends from the USA who all thoroughly enjoyed their stay here.
We never encountered any problems with attitude from any memebrs of staff. In fact from my own experience the opposite was the case and the staff would go out of their way to assist you, with recommendations for local restaurants, which ones to avoid ect, which is always a bonus when local knowledge if proffered.
The reception area is large and clean with hot drinks (Coffeee/Apple Cider/Tea and Chocolate) along with freshly baked cookies avaiable for Apres Ski, all at no extra charge.
The inclusive breakfast was hearty and with a diverse selection of, Waffles (cook yourself), english muffins, bagels, scrambled egg, saussage, corned beef hash (on occasion) along with fruit juices and cereals. It is now run on a self service basis a change from our previous stays there, but we encountered no issues in the dining area with the exception of some guests being unbale to read or understand the simple directions on the waffle maker and clogging it up and not even having the decency to clean it up. The catering staff particulalry Maurice deserved praise for his patience as this was left to him to clean, on more than one occasion each day.
Our room, a queen with bunk beds was very comfortable and looked over the rear of the hotel, which in my opinion is the best side to chose as there is some minimal traffic pollution on the front aspect, but I stress minimal.
Access to the hotel is easy from the main route 4 with sufficient parking available and Killington is approximately a 10-12 minute drive away. If you prefer something offering a more diverse night out with shopping, turn right out of the hotel and head into Rutland which is approximately 10-12 minutes int he other direction.
There is a good ski storage area immediatley on entry through the main doors fo the hotel and locks are provided by the hotel for secure ski storage, boots cannot be stored here.
There is upgraded gym equipment on the basement level along with a table tennis tabe. The pool area is clean as is the spa and is well utilised by all, the only minor point I encoutered was the spa was a little too hot, but this was quickly resolved after a discussion with the reception.
A negative in my humble opinion was the lack of bar which resulted in our party having to rely on our own drinks. In the greater scheme of things not important to some, but us Brits do occasionally like apres dinner drinks, but having to drink in the main lounge area where access to some bedrooms are, curtailled somewhat letting our hair down, nevertheless we did still enjoy ourselves. We were informed the bar would be up and runing by next year, which is not unreasonable as I believe the hotel did suffer some water damage during the floods last year.
If you are looking for somewhere local with Character for a drink fo meal, trun left out of the Hotel and after about three miles you will come the the Inn at the Longtrail, which serves Guinness, and spookily Longtrail Ale, defo worth a visit. If you want a decent Chinese/Japanes.....head into Killington and the Sushi Yoshi, you won't be dissappointed, if it's a weekend make sure you book.
We will be returning in the future along with family and friends and I would llike to commend the new owners of their improvement thus far.
Thanks for making our holiday special :-)

Room Tip: Rooms at the back and away from the lounge area are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I spent President's Day weekend at the Cortina...our first stay there since our honeymoon 27 years ago! We were thrilled to see the Cortina has the same Vermont charm it had so many years ago. While some visitors might prefer a totally new and renovated inn, I believe many will appreciate the new owners' mix of preserving some classic elements of the inn, while they continue to update other areas.
We stayed in a queen fireplace room on the second floor in the front of the building, with a beautiful mountain view from our balcony. The bathroom was completely renovated. The room had newer carpet, curtains, flatscreen tv, and a wonderfully efficient newer heater/ac. The gas fireplace also provided heat. Our tall, 4 poster bed had an amazingly comfortable mattress; obviously newer. The wood furniture was a bit worn, but clean and sturdy nonetheless, while fitting-in with the Inn's overall mountain/ski resort theme. Our room had a cathedral ceiling with one complete wall of rustic brick. The room had one chair.
The spacious atrium of the Inn has a nice seating area which completely surrounds a large fireplace (which seemed to be always lit). The aroma of the fireplace greeted us upon entering the Inn...and for us, fresh-baked cookies and hot drinks, too!
The indoor pool and spa were clean. Towels were provided at the front desk. The pool was actually larger than most indoor pools that we have encountered in other hotels. However, the seating around the pool was limited.
The lower level of the Inn provides some activities and exercise equipment. Renovations in this lower level appear to be underway. Everything looked adequate...we saw several children playing games; adults were exercising.
We noticed the Inn is pet-friendly. I believe the pets stayed in first floor rooms, so owners could use their room doors to take the dogs directly outside without encountering guests in the hallways. We never heard barking, and there is plenty of open space outside for walking dogs.
The restaurant at the Inn served a buffet breakfast during our stay, which included hot items such as scrambled eggs, bacon, french toast or pancakes, waffles and potatoes. (Breakfast was included with our stay.) The breakfast area was clean, with pleasant servers tending the food areas. Our only disappointment here was disposable flatware and plates.
I would recommend this hotel for couples or families. The children staying at the Inn seemed happy when they returned from skiing as they ran for a dip in the pool. And many couples, like us, enjoyed relaxing around the firplace with books, and conversation.
It would have been nice to have a full service restaurant offering dinner. We understand this will be available in the future.
Overall, we had a nice stay at the Cortina! ~ It is a welcoming Inn for families and couples.
We hope the new owners will continue to improve this gem!

Room Tip: Front rooms have mountain view.
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I'm not sure where to start about this place. I booked through Killington.com and thought I was getting a great package. We only stayed one night and were there to ski, so we weren't very picky about lodgings.

When we arrived, they couldn't find our reservation -- even though we had picked up our lift tickets under the same reservation just fine. Luckily they had one room left, a suite, and unhappily put us there. The suite cost substantially more than the room I had already paid for, and they were obviously trying to figure out how to recoup the money. We waited 20 minutes while they tried to sort out the problem.

When we did get to the room, the heat didn't work, there was no blanket on the bed, and the room was dirty. In fact, the "tell us how we're doing" comment card was covered in grease and crumbs. Disgusting. When we went down to complain, they got the heat to work (thank goodness) and handed us a blanket...which we later discovered was COVERED in toothpaste. I will say that the bed itself was clean and comfortable.

When we checked out in the morning, we were again forced to wait 20 minutes while the staff attempted to figure out our reservation. They kept assuring us we didn't owe anything, but it was unclear why they were making us wait. We walked out and told them to call us if there were issues. I got home and saw a charge for $300 on my credit card from the inn. I called furiously, and the manager told me to take it up with Killington.com. I recommended that THEY take it up with Killington.com, since I was the guest and had paid for what I bought. Management could clearly care less about their guests. I plan on calling AmEx next to dispute the charge.

A total nightmare and headache. DO NOT STAY HERE.

2  Thank Anonymous131360745
jbhakta, Manager at Cortina Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I do apoligize for the mistake that we made during your stay with us. After some intense review of what led to the problem, I am happy to say that we have identified , and corrected the problem. If you have any other recomendations that you think we could improve upon please feel free to post them or contact us directly. In the future if you ever find your self in the killington area again, please be sure that you are always welcome here at the Cortina Inn.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

My research into lodging options for Killington turned out to be somewhat futile. I couldn’t find a well-reviewed resort so now that I have stayed in one; I want to build up their positive feedback. I chose the Cortina Inn based on Traveler photos here on TA as well as location. Regardless of past reviews I felt comfortable that more recent reviews since the renovation and ownership change have been positive. We checked in late Friday night around midnight after a long drive from NYC. There was a person on staff at the front desk who checked us in happily & provided guidance on where we could get a nightcap close by. The outside of the resort does not do any justice to the lovely renovations that were done since Cortina recently transitioned. It helped that in this very warm winter it began to snow as we entered the Rutland area. The check in area is Vermont quaint with fireplaces, old wooden skis and a central area with a comfortable & charming seating area around a common fireplace. Our room on the first floor was recently renovated with flat screen, new carpeting, new and very comfortable beds and renovated bathrooms. The room was quiet for being right near a main common area. Outside our room #104 was the entrance to the indoor pool & whirlpool which looked lovely and clean. We dropped our bags and drove less than a mile for a drink at McGrath’s Irish Pub – what a find.
We both slept quite well during our 2 night stay after sampling the free cookies at the check-in area. There was hardly any sound and we awoke to the included breakfast prior to hitting the mountain. It wasn’t spectacular but it did the trick. There was watery coffee but decent eggs, bacon, toast, cereal, apples & pancakes. We found stronger coffee on our way up to the mountain. The drive to Killington is less than 10 minutes & the area around Cortina has its own options for dining. Most notably Snow Angel which a great new dinner spot. Overall our stay was quiet, private, comfortable and close to the mountain. We were a couple alone and although it wasn’t 5 star, it felt romantic and New England-ish for us. We would absolutely go back.

Room Tip: Breakfast is okay but the Sun Up bakery on the way to the mountain has way better coffee. Super-cut...
Reviewed 10 January 2012

aVery nice and cozy. The rooms are renovated and clean, the pool is nice and big. They welcome you with cookies and coffee or tea. Great fireplace in the middle. The only complain I have about this hotel is that they don't serve breakfast (which is free) past 9a.m. We like to sleep late, stayed there for 2 night and did not have a breakfast once...then we had to ride to the town to get it. They do allow pets with a 25 dol per day fee :)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank kaska1
Reviewed 28 December 2011

My extended family and I used to travel to Cortina annually 10+ years ago--my husband and I even got engaged there. It was so disappointing to see it fall into disrepair and close. We couldn't have been more thrilled when we learned that it was operational again and under new management. We booked 4 rooms for a weekend in December and really had a great time. We are excited to see the new owners bring it back to life as they continue to make improvements and get the entire hotel functional. My kids LOVED the pool and jacuzzi. The open space by the fireplace was great for relaxing and the kids played games on the floor and explored. The renovation on the rooms currently open has been done well. New carpets/drapes/flat screen televisions/mattresses. The beds were amazingly comfortable. The full breakfast included with the price of the room was the perfect start to our day.

By far, the best part was the attentive service. Manjari was amazing and we really enjoyed talking with her and hearing her plans for the rest of the renovation work. We had several kids in our party and we wanted to take advantage of the fresh snow with some sledding--we only brought 2 sleds, though so Manjari ran out to the local Walmart and purchased a slew of new sleds for us to use. Top notch customer service! There was a gentleman on staff who has been with the inn off and on for the last 2 decades--he seemed to do a little of everything. If he wasn't making fresh cookies to put out in the afternoon (coffee and cookies every afternoon was a welcome treat!) he was hanging more Christmas decorations or heading somewhere with a tool box to fix something.

I came across a few negative reviews of the inn on-line but I think the hotel's troubled past under different ownership has put some people on the defensive and looking for something to complain about. The new management is really going all out to make the Cortina Inn a place to return to again and again. My family and I plan to rekindle our annual tradition of spending a weekend there each December.

Room Tip: There are some adjoining rooms that are convenient for families traveling together. If you are trav...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank fonz101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mendon
0.1 km away
1.3 km away
The Vermont Inn
The Vermont Inn
#1 of 3 in Mendon

Been to Cortina Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!