“Trapp Family Lodge - Broadway in Vermont”
Review of Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I travel to Vermont for business and instead of staying at a hotel beside the highway, I drive the 10 miles to paradise, The Trapp Family Lodge. Not only is it the most relaxing, but has great food, staff and most of all ski trails, that are wonderful anytime of the year. Also, if you love the Sound of Music, the walls are filled with framed Playbills, posters and photos to add to this lovely place.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but if you can afford a suite, go for it and have the bellman light the fir...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 January 2012

My Husband and I did a last minute exchange with Interval Int'l to the Trapp Family Lodge for our Anniverssary. We had been there 19 years before and i had learned how to Ski at Stowe.
I have to say the Main Building is nice but the guest houses are not a 5 star. they are stock in the 80's. The furniture except for the couch i am sure is still the same.
The outside of the units is dagerous if your coming home after dark there is not very good lighting. When it rained and turned to ICE we had to sand ourselves otherwise no services.
We did call twice with problems in the unit once the TV and they came very quickly the other time a smoke detector that kept going off for no reson again service was quick.
The veiws are amazing and if you want a quite time then go here but do not expect a 5 Star at the Guest houses.
We did have a wonderful week even with almost killing ourselves in the dark as we skated on the ice out side or builiding !!!!lol

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GrandmaHop
Reviewed 24 January 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge at least 10 times over the past 5 years. We have never been disappointed. As a matter of fact, their staff and service seems to get better every time. My sisters and I brought my mom and her friend there last year and had the best time! We look forward to staying again real soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the mountain so you have a beautiful view. If you are looking for a handicap acc...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peggy D
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge in mid-January for five days, with our two toddlers in a "Family" room. It was a fantastic trip. Some hotels say they have old world charm but really, it just means a falling down shack. This is absolutly not the case at Trapp. Once you walk in, you feel like you're in someone's very large home in Austria.

There are pictures of the Von Trapps all over the place and each room is serenly decorated. Its not the Four Seasons or the Ritz - the window curtains, for example, are something from the 70's - but it is beautiful, charming and everything works. Our room also had a fridge and microwave, which is fantastic when you have little kids. The rooms stay warm throughout. The staff was very friendly and heplful but the restaurant was inconsistent. One night we had a great dinner and two nights later, the food was overcooked. The breakfast buffet on the other hand, rocks! Not a ton of selection but the basics (eggs, bacon, pancakes, pastries, oatmeal, cereals, fruit etc.) cooked extremely well. No soggy bacon here (the quality of the bacon can make or a break a place for my wife!).

My favorite thing about this hotel is that they have a common room in almost every wing and I would have loved to have explored every nook of this place. One night, my wife and I wandered around and saw a perfect common room with a roaring fire (almost all of them have fireplaces lit up at night). We just sat and read while our children were with their grandmother.

The pool and fitness center are also great but parents be warned that they are housed in a seperate building so you have to walk with your children across the road to the facility. So, bring a set of clothes for them to wear to and from the building. The actual facilities are modern. There are lockers, showers, towel service and the indoor heated pool was my kids' second favorite thing to do (other than learning to ski). The fitness room was good: four treadmills, a couple of bikes, and some free weights and weight machines. There is also a rock climbing wall which I never got a chance to use (how cool is that?!).

Stowe Mountain is a short 15 min car ride and all the major restaurants are also 15 mins away. If you have small kids, check out Stowe Dogs for hot dogs and Pie-casso for amazing pizza. The Trapp Bakery/Deli is also nice and they actually made a chocolate ganache birthday cake for my wife. My wife is a foodie and we both agreed that it was one of the best ganache cakes we had ever eaten. Of course, our kids gobbled it up. Blue Moon Cafe on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired as far as the food.

Overall, I would highly recommend a stay at the Trapp Family Lodge.

Room Tip: The Family rooms are great for parents with little children. You can put them to sleep in their own...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2012

My family has been going to the TFL ,for the past 6 years! We always stay in the Guest Houses, because having a kitchen you tend to save $. This year it seems like they are letting the Guest Houses get Run Down. The carpet is from the 80's, burning holes, stains! Mold in and around the bath tubs. Activities have extra fees, $5 to climb the Rock wall (really). We love the location, just wish they wouldn't Nickel and Dime you for Everything..

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Stoweogunquit
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My three sisters and I went to the Trapp Family Lodge to celebrate a special birthday. From beginning to end it was perfect! When we made our reservations, we told the hotel we were celebrating a birthday and they arranged to have a bottle of champagne with a special note for the birthday girl in t he room when we arrived. The lodge is beautiful, every corner is clean and charming. We were amazed at t he number of plants and fresh flowers on a (VERY) cold January weekend. Our room was spacious (plenty of room for four people) and comfortable, and had a small balcony off of it with a view of the mountains, very picturesque. We ate lunch in the lounge one day, and dinner in the dining room one night and the service and food was excellent. It was below zero for much of the time we were there, and we are not skiers, but there were many people outside cross country skiing and snow shoeing and we did brave the elements long enough for a delightful sleigh ride! Inside, there were plenty of spots to warm up next to a roaring fire with a hot chocolate or cider. It is a bit of a drive into Stowe (you could not walk, especially in the winter) but the town has lots of shops and restaurants to choose from. This is a special place, for a special occasion, it was not inexpensive, but definitely worth the splurge!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2012

My family have been coming to the Trapp Family Lodge for the past 10 years. We usually visit 1-3 times per ski season. This lodge has a European feel to it with great service, clean rooms, a great restaurant, and wonderful views. We have ventured to other lodges in Stowe and keep coming back to the Trapp Family Lodge as our favorite. My teenage daughters like bringing friends and staying in a Villa is perfect. This place is and will always be something we look forward to at the end of a long drive to Northern Vermont.

• Stayed: January 2012