The Stowe Inn
Golden Eagle Resort
#11 of 24 hotels in Stowe
0.6 km
View Hotel
All reviewsriver housethe main housecovered bridgenew englandliving roommain streetmountain roadshort driveski triptavernpianofireplaceskiing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

If you have high expectetations at budget prices, then read the negative reviews and skip this place. In fact, please do that - I prefer not to be in the same lodging as people like this. The Stowe Inn provides an excellent motel experience with historic feel at an unbeatable price.

1. The price. Wow... a place like this in Seattle would be considered a premium experience commanding fifty more a night than the discounted rate I paid.
2. The front desk. I forgot the gentleman's name. He proved to be a better (and free) concierge service than any 4-star place I've been too. He had lots of knowledge of the area and gave us very good recommendations for antique shopping, dining, and outdoors activities. Plus, he gave my family a room upgrade!
3. This is a historic hotel. Don't expect 5-star B&B, but expect the room to have an antique feel with modern amenities. It has all-wood sleigh beds and New England craft comforters mixed with the creature comforts most of us want - climate control (albeit noisy), fridge, and TV. Only the bathroom seemed out of place looking average for a motel.
4. Clean pool isolated from view from the road. Many motels make the mistake of having the pool roadside to attract perverts... I mean, customers.
5. Great location to walk to several quality restaurants and shops.
6. The lobby is awesome. Classic New England feel and separate from the front desk. I felt like I paid for a Super 8 and got a huge room with a downstairs living room all to myself! It had couches, magazines, puzzles, and a fireplace, all in a warm New England setting.
7. Beer... they know people stay there because they are visiting Alchemist or Hill Farmstead. They are perfectly fine with beer geeks enjoying these world class beers as they walm around the property.

1. The previous tenant's towels were hanging on the backside of the door. It is easy to miss when cleaning, so we just put it on the floor. However, what else did they miss? I didn't see anything else, but I always wonder.
2. I had the DND sign up, and they still cleaned my room. I am particular in not wanting anyone in my room when I am gone; but it was nice to come back to beds made and fresh towels.

1. The restaurant is not in service at the moment. This was no problem for my family, but I do think it is imperative they mention that up front. There are many seniors and limited mobility people who travel and need full service lodging to include restaurant services.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2017

Horrible experience, starting with a very old and smelly room. When I saw that the towels were dirty, I understood that they have not been changed.
Many hairs on the bathroon and on the towels !!!
Even for free, I will never come back to this place.
Internet did not work in my room (received the wifi signal but internet did not work)

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JM B
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

If I could give this Inn a rating of zero I would...

We planned to stay at the Stowe Inn for my husband's graduation. We read the reviews on multiple sites, and booked over the phone. When we arrived at the hotel, we were given a room that needed attention and cleaning. I checked the bed, and the sheets had not been changed. After speaking to the front desk, they sent he house keeping. They "changed" the sheets and left. They never changed the pillowcases or blankets. When we came back later that night we noticed the room (bathroom) was in disrepair. Mold, hair ever where, outdated and unclean. The sheets and blankets had black spots, the carpet had a brown trail into the bathroom. The air conditioning unit contained dirt and mold. There was not one clean space in the room. No one was working the desk at the time, and it was late so we stayed and got up early to check out. At check out, I spoke to the desk clerk about the condition, and showed him pictures. He told me he would have the General Manager contact me. I called everyday for the past week and heard nothing. I finally reached him today, he told me to send him the pictures and see what the owners say. This hotel is in such disrepair that it should not be open for service! Beware, and stay away! DO NOT waste your money and stay here.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tara-Rose J
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

This property is not as described. We arrived to a "restaurant undergoing renovations" and a room in bad state of disrepair (and just plain filthy). It sells itself on "New England Charm" but don't be fooled by Trip Advisor Awards and Historic Place plaques from days gone by. This hotel his dirty, dated, dingy and in terrible disrepair. We had a three night reservation for an appalling room and tried to cancel extra days (we had paid more so we were NOT in the "non-refundable" category) but owner refused, said it had to come from booking.com. Called booking.com to get the refund, sent the photos they requested and Booking said we were due a full refund and should not stay. Hotel refused the refund and said we were picking out "small details" and the repairs were only minor roof repairs. Also stated restaurant was serving, when there was a sign that it was closed and the checkin said closed for repairs! Owner claimed a breakfast was served that did not exist (unless you call a carafe of coffee and powdered creamer "breakfast"). The clerk at the desk said he would give us a refund if he could, that she, the owner, needs to put some money into repairs. Don't book here: mold, exposed electrical, water damage, dead insect accumulation, red algae growth, caked-on bathroom filth, trash and dirty sock left by previous travelers, broken door lock...the list goes on...not as pictured and not as described. We have pictures -- but owners response was to deny and accuse. We are out just under $500 because we couldn't stand to stay two more nights. Too nasty.

This hotel is in a sad state of affairs.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank CTShore
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

Great stay!! Last minute decision to spend the night out and what a great place. In room fireplace, jet tub, beautiful decro. Super friendly staff, amazing room, and very comfortable! Thank you Stowe Inn :)

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends