“Whats with the smell?”
Review of Mad River Grill - CLOSED

Mad River Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Seafood Steakhouse located on Sugarbush Access Road in Warren, Vermont with a wide variety of pizza's, burgers, and barbecue. Craft beers on tap and a full service bar.
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Upon entering, the smell never leaves you. Then the staff looked wired. Then theres no pizza because "the pizza guy who got his job back hasn't shown up for work". Then they charge you for premium steaks and the cuts suck. Then i asked to substitute the garlic mashed potatoes for french fries and they charge me a $2 charge. The only good thing about dinner was the wine. Would i recommend? Hell no! Would i go back? Never! Stay away or bring your own scented candle. Its $200 i'll never get back. I should have just thrown $200 in the fire.

3  Thank billyrod1

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Something seemed off with the hostess, we wonder if she had been drinking or was on drugs? Very odd behaviour. Our waitress Jessica was friendly and attentive. Food was ok. Hubby enjoyed his pasta dish, my beef tenderloin was nothing special, the brussels sprouts were good though. Not many people in the restaurant. I saw a couple enter and wait several minutes, maybe 5 minutes, they were not acknowledged and left. Noisy kids not tended to by their parents was an annoyance too. We won't return to this restaurant.

1  Thank Halifaxian
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

As soon as we walked in we were hit with a terrible smell. A cross between a nursing home and cleaning products. Strange decor too dark and lots of taxidermy.
We wanted pizza but were told the guy making pizza hadn't shown up for a few days. Not a good sign.
We left without ordering dinner.
There have been many restaurants at this location but nothing lasts.
Pretty sure this one won't either

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We always spend a week at Sugarbush resort with several weekend trips sprinkled in during the ski season. We try to go to several different restaurants, as we enjoy the loyal ties to local farmers and use of the specialties that Vermont has to offer. This place has the worst service of any place we have ever been. The hostess was rude, the waitress was sarcastic, and the food was just mediocre. My husband never got his food. I had finished my dinner, and they came to give us the check, and we told them he didnt even get his dinner yet!!! It took forever to even initially get served, and another twenty minutes to get our drinks! My husbands beer looked like someone drank the top third of it. The waitress was like oh it just settled. Then we asked how long it had been sitting there to settle like that. She sarcastically replied oh i drank out of it first. My husband told the guy making the pizzas to start looking for another job because this place will not be open for very long. When we got our check after he finally go this dinner, the waitress never came back again!!!! So he took it up to the hostess to pay it. She ignored him for a while. I packed up the baby and went out to the truck and waited and waited. He finally came out. He said he told her about our experience and she could not have cared less. The real kicker was that they were not even that busy!!!!!!! My brother in law is a ski ambassador and charters buses and sets up trips all season long to this area. I will definitely tell him to keep his buses away from this restaurant!!!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We ate at this place under the prior owner and were curious to see how the new place staked up.
The food was generally excellent. There were a couple of misses but the wings, crabcakes and salads were all excellent. The service is a bit of a mixed bag - the staff mean well and are very nice but they seem a bit understaffed so it is hard to get their attention for things like water...but they make up for it by being nice and they are definitely trying hard. And again the food was overall very good and the ambiance is nice so there's really not much to complain about. I will be back.