“Average food but a great view and atmosphere.”

Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 62 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: As old as the hills . . . The Peaks of Otter have drawn settlers and travelers to the region for more than 8,000 years. The community whose vestiges remain to be explored today had its beginning in 1766 when Thomas Wood arrived from Pennsylvania.The wife of one of Wood’s descendants would open her home as the area’s first lodging for travelers in 1834. By the late 1800s, Peaks of Otter would be home to some 20 families, a school, a church, and a resort hotel. In the mid 1900s, the location was selected for special attention as the National Parks Service developed recreation and service areas along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Abbott Lake was constructed and the Peaks of Otter Lodge opened in 1964.Today, we invite you to be part of the future of this storied natural and cultural destination as it continues to attract visitors and travelers in the 21st century.
Reviewed October 23, 2018

Nothing special in the way of entrees and the food was somewhat pricey. The view of the lake and mountains are spectacular and peaceful. Staff was friendly and informative.

Date of visit: October 2018
JeanH2572, Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Greg, thank you for your feedback. This is always important so that we can continually strive to improve the guests experience. Please come back and visit again!

Reviewed October 15, 2018

We were here with our daughter and two grand daughters. Except for special events the restaurant doesn't take reservations except for tables of six or more. The Friday night buffets are famous and draw big crowds.

My wife and I had drinks at the bar while we waited for daughter to arrive. The barkeep was friendly, but overwhelmed as he had the bar crowd to take care of plus all the restaurant orders. He did mix a perfect dry Bombay Sapphire martini for me.

The bar has several high top tables at the window and a couple of comfy sofas in addition to about 5 or 6 bar stools at the bar.

Our full party arrived at the dining room check-in at about 7:30 and were greeted by one of the best hosts we've met anywhere, especially at a park facility. We were seated promptly. We noted that there was a wedding party in the room (for a Saturday wedding) plus several large tables with birthday party-ers. Since it was Friday, it was buffet night.

Our server greeted us promptly and took our drink orders that included my wife's and my wine order.

The buffet was labeled Surf and Turf... with a carving station for Roast of Beef... then an assortment of fried chicken, ribs, fish. mussels and popcorn shrimp... with rice, mixed veggies, corn and Mac & Cheese. The salad bar by this time was a little wiped out, but had been refilled when I had mine salad after the main course. And a very nice dessert bar.

The beef was flavorful, but there were no medium rare cuts left, so the meat eaters all had medium cuts. The fried chicken was excellent as were the popcorn shrimp. The veggies were OK, but the Mac & Cheese was excellent... as were the desserts.

Our wine came as we were finishing our main courses were complete, because the bar was overwhelmed. One might ask as to why there was only one barkeep when there was such a big crowd.

We came back for the very good breakfast buffet. The French Toast was especially good as it was fresh and hot.

The second night we came at 7:00 and were seated promptly and ordered off the menu and everyone went with a cut of beef. The cuts were tender and flavorful, but most were slightly overcooked from our medium rare order. But... it did take an hour to get our food, but we enjoyed our time together.

The time delays we incurred for each of our dinners are difficult to rate. We kind of expected it, so we were prepared. My suggestion is to relax and enjoy the company of your dining partners and enjoy the incredible views.

Date of visit: October 2018
JeanH2572, Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2018

Thank you for such a detailed review of the Peaks! It is always important to us to receive feedback from our guests for our continuous improvement of our service standards. I'm glad you enjoyed so much of what we do have to offer and I apologize for the some of the delays you incurred, but your take on it to enjoy the company of your dining partners and views carries much wisdom. There are some nights we can't always be fully prepared for even with much careful planning. Please come back and visit again!

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

Arrived late afternoon for an overnight stay at the lodge so rather than trekking into Bedford we decided to eat at the restaurant. Bartender Jamiel was helpful and patient as we couldn’t decide what we wanted to order. My wife eventually ordered the soup of the day which was chicken gumbo. Which she enjoyed. I on the other hand ordered a Cesear salad with shrimp which were to be grilled. More than enough shrimp and the dressing was very good however the shrimp were no grilled, not a big deal. Had breakfast the next morning my wife opted for eggs bacon and requested an unlisted combination that was a pancake. She enjoyed it and said it was her best breakfast on our trip. Very convenient and good food.

Date of visit: October 2018

Thank you for your four bubble review. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the Peaks and the food during your visit. Please come back again!

Reviewed October 4, 2018

The staff was very friendly and we ordered the nachos as an appetizer with our beers. The nachos were excellent with toppings throughout the layers of nachos. I had the catfish and my wife had the eggplant.

Date of visit: October 2018
JeanH2572, Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2018

Thank you for your 4 bubble review. It's always good to hear from our guests with their feedback.

Reviewed September 29, 2018

If you miss that good old food in your college dining hall, run don't walk to the Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant.
While we were suffering through a 2 1/2 hour ordeal, we heard 3 different tables complain about their food. Sadly, all they got was "We are so sorry."

Date of visit: September 2018

I am going to start my response with "I am so sincerely sorry". I'm not sure what happened with your experience, but I do appreciate all feedback from our guests. Our menu is designed with the intention to enjoy your dining experience at Peaks of Otter, and I do take all feedback back to the kitchen to review. If you would like to provide more details about your experience, please contact me at the Peaks of Otter Lodge phone number.