“Fascinating and Wonderful Place to Visit”

Thomas Jefferson's Monticello
More attraction details
Owner description: Monticello and its many historical rooms, gadgets, furniture, buildings, and artifacts tell us a lot about Thomas Jefferson, the president who built it and lived there.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We really enjoyed this. There is more interesting history to the place than I expected. TJ did a lot of unusual things with the architecture, and many of the rooms are uniquely designed. The grounds are beautifully kept, and as authentic as they can make them to the time TJ was alive.

They are very aware of issues of slavery and freedom, and do talk about it with sensitivity to the subject.

The mountains in October are truly incredible.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,124)
All reviews
in 183 reviews
"vegetable garden"
in 64 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Monticello has deep roots to American history and is a world heritage site and worth a visit...however I left feeling like they sugar coated and glossed over the slavery aspect. We did the walking tour of the enslaved people and our guide did a fine job of denouncing slavery and explaining Thomas Jefferson's contradictions. The house tour moved quickly and was interesting and the grounds were pretty. I think the entrance fee was appropriate for what you get --- it does take a fortune to run such a plantation. We spent 4 hours there and did everything there was--- Buy tickets on line to save a bit of money.

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

While on spring break in Wiilamsburg, we decided to take a day trip to Monticello and I'm glad we did. This is one of the more thought provoking historical tours one can take.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

It was a great visit. I loved it. BUY YOUR TICKETS ONLINE. It's way cheaper. If your physically able walk up to the house from the parking lot. You'd see his grave on the way. We did the family friendly tour and I wish we didn't. Don't get me wrong, the guy did a GREAT job. I just selfishly wanted to know more. Our tour was for 3:00 and I wish we went earlier. Id love to explore the grounds more and I'd have liked to do the tour about slavery. Explore as much as the grounds as you can. There's so much great stuff to see.

1  Thank Brian G
See more reviews
Reviewed April 2, 2018

Learn about the many contributions Thomas Jefferson extended to the state of Virginia including some scandalous, colorful drama during his life in Monticello. The estate is about 5,000 acres and 95% of the artifacts are original and well preserved. The home was very opulent for its time. Shuttle bus takes you to the top and back down. Cafe, museum and gift shop at the entry point. Ample parking.

1  Thank TravelBees8