“Nice outdoor seatings”
Review of Zo.ca.lo

Zo.ca.lo
Reserve with OpenTable
Zo.ca.lo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 628 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2nd Street NE and East Main Street
Reviewed June 7, 2018 via mobile

We were seated at a shared wrap around table (wrap around a big tree) outside. Very nice atmosphere. Little bit off the main pedestrian mall but still close to the actions.
Food were fantastic. We had lamb loin and rockfish. Tasty.

Reviewed May 27, 2018

Surpassed my expectations! There was a bridal party in the dining room with us; it had no effect on our service or noise level. Julia was responsible for multiple tables but made us feel like we were the only table she had - unbelievable! The soft shell crab special was amazing and wine recommendations spot on! We will be back!

Reviewed February 21, 2018 via mobile

Absolutely delicious! Although we usually don't eat at restaurants located in any sort of mall, we read the reviews, and had to try it. Nice ambiance, great service, food was fantastic. We shared everything, and they split the serving on to each plate, without hesitation. One of Charlottesville's many gems. We will be back.

Reviewed February 18, 2018

The TA description says Zocalo is "American" and I guess if American is everything, then it is, but we'd say it was more Latin (Central to South American). They have a great variety of offerings - all kinds of meat (duck to beef to pork) - and ways to prepare and present them (all delightful), but it tends to be rather spicy, and by that we mean muy caliente, not calor (it's HOT). And to be sure, this is the type of food we like, so keep this in mind. And the bar serves up lovely cocktails and a wide variety of wines and beers. The margarita flight is worth exploring. We had a tapas dinner, meaning we ate off the appetizer menu and got to try many of their choices - yummy. The decor was very modern (minimal with some paintings) and upbeat house music was playing, so we think it attracts the urban hipster crowd, but we're definitely not that and we were very comfortable and welcomed, so don't let the scene stop you from great food. After dinner we went to the Postmodern Jukebox show next door at the Paramount Theater, and then came back for more drinks - I guess we liked it ;-).

Reviewed November 13, 2017

I came here with a large business group. Not my choice of restaurant and I freely admit to having zero tolerance for hot spices (whereas others just love them). First time I came here - same group - 6 months ago I had a horrible experience with a cocktail that had "pepper infused bitters" buried in the list of ingredients. 4 people at the same people sent it back - I suffered both in terms of burning in my throat for the rest of the meal, and further down mu gastronomy for the rest of the night.

This time I thought I was being careful. But even the simple salad I picked to start had something buried in the dressing. Two bites and I put in aside. The cucumber martini I had was good...but the second one was different and had some sort of spiced ingredient added. If I noticed it on my second one and not on my first that's a pretty good sign the ingredients changed.

Others in the group enjoyed the food, but those folks all admitted to enjoying "spicy" food.