“Wish I had a picture”
Review of Maya Restaurant

Maya Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Maya Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 623 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 7th St. NW
Reviewed June 19, 2018 via mobile

The food is not only exquisitely scrumptious, it's beautifully presented. This has become a secret 5 star restaurant. They are always looking to up the ante; the next best way to present a dish you thought you knew and loved, but believe me, I have never been disappointed. The is filled oops and aahs and OMG, this is so good. Go...be amazed.

1  Thank Ann B

Reviewed June 5, 2018

Definitely a fan of Maya! I've been several times, normally dinner and drinks, but also for Tuesday lunch special! I've tried a lot, but learned overtime that the trout was always my favorite - consistently cooked to perfection and seasoned perfectly, love the saltiness from the capers - and began sticking to that. My favorite sides are the collards and whipped potatoes (with gravy), and I absolutely recommend them. Otherwise, I would skip the cornbread and mac, and go for the grits, a starch, or some greens (the leafy or collards, over just the steamed, unless that's what you're feeling). Also a fan of the fried oysters and pimento fritters as a starting share plate! I think the mushroom plate has some good tastes, but overall was a bit of a miss.

I wouldn't say its authentically "southern," but the menu items are made in that vein, even if the entree menu ultimately just showcases Charlottesville's access to quality meat (as many restaurants here do), but with more southern-inspired flavors and/or cooking styles. They do have some solid southern cooking staples, but Maya understandably lacks the homey and heartfelt experience and history of eating somewhere more "authentic" (and greasier) like Mel's Cafe, which can't be expected to necessarily translate well into a sit-down restaurant experience anyway. Maya is great at what it's supposed to do, in this sense! I'm really glad I had access to southern-inspired food through a restaurant with tasty and trusted entrees and sides like Maya!

2  Thank lenaschulhofer
Reviewed May 30, 2018

We drove from Texas to Virginia, eating in many cities along the way, and only the barbecue in Alabama at Saw's came close to this place. Great location on Main street within walking distance of our hotel - Residence Inn Marriott. The food was outstanding, the service impeccable. Mary was our server and so wonderful.

2  Thank Bethy_Texas
Reviewed May 15, 2018

The food at Maya was very tasty and well priced. My pork tenderloin was delicious and so were the appetizer and dessert. The wine list is good but somewhat limited. The service was professional but not exceptional. The setting is decent. Overall, I find Maya to be an excellent restaurant and very good value. I recommend it.

2  Thank Roger A
Reviewed April 21, 2018

On a recent trip to Charlottesville, we had a terrific meal. It's a cozy bar setting with a friendly helpful staff who helped me negotiate the menu for GF. Delicious ribs fell off the bones. Lovely dessert selection. I will definitely return.

2  Thank theatregoer2018