“Nice anniversary visit”

The Downtown Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The Downtown Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 629 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Price range: US$16 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd
Description: The Downtown Grille, located on Charlottesville's historic downtown mall, serves only the finest in Midwestern corn-fed beef and fresh seafood. The restaurant has an extensive wine list which has been honored by The Wine Spectator with the Award of Excellence every year since opening in 1999. The Downtown Grille's lovely architecture and warm professional staff lend a superb ambiance to an already exquisite dining experience.
Reviewed April 25, 2016

My wife and I toured several wineries this past weekend for our anniversary and based on a friend's recommendation, we booked a reservation for two at the Downtown Grille. Our reservation was for 6:30pm and I called ahead the same day to request a table on the patio since the weather was gorgeous. I'd advised the calltaker that this was our anniversary dinner. We arrived about 15 minutes early and were shown to our table promptly, which was a plus. We were seated and greeted by our server, who was professional and nearly flawless, except he was just a little stuffy for our liking. I understand that this is an upscale restaurant, but I didn't witness any of the outside servers or the female manager actually smile one time. Our server was professionally courteous, and he was on point with everything else. The food was truly very good. My wife and I each ordered a salad, and then my wife ordered the NY strip and I ordered the broiled seafood platter. We shared a side of au gratin potatoes, and we each ordered a dessert. My wife also had a mixed drink with her dinner. My seafood platter was fairly fantastic. I did find a shell in my crabcake, which isn't anything to fuss about for me, it happens. The scallops were the best I've had at any restaurant ever. The fish was sound, and the shrimp were delicious. I tasted my wife's steak, and it was also delicious. The salads were average salads. The au gratin potatoes were sinful. For dessert, my wife ordered the creme brulee and I ordered the key lime pie. I've never had better key lime pie anywhere; it was fantastic. My wife enjoyed her dessert as well. I got the bill and it was around $130. My wife refused to let me fake a seizure and flop around like a fish to avoid paying...

In short, fantastic food. Above average service, albeit slightly stuffy. We didn't get a "Happy Anniversary," from our server, which feels like it might be a nice thing to recognize at an upscale place. We did enjoy ourselves. Will we be back? Probably not. There are a lot of places out there to eat and we'd like to try some more. Though a great meal and nothing to complain about, no "wow factor."

Reviewed April 25, 2016

My wife and I had a fantastic meal in February 2016. From the wine list to the dessert the entire meal was enjoyable. Next time I will opt for the bone in Rib Steak.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed April 14, 2016 via mobile

I love stake and Downtown Grill has great steak! What makes this place even better is an attentive and friendly wait staff!! The place is not cheap and everything is a la cart but I thought it was worth every penny

Date of visit: April 2016
Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Grille, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2016

Thank you Bobby!

Reviewed April 13, 2016

The service was very good, but the food was very average. This is mainly a steakhouse, which I rarely order out. I had beef short ribs which I found fatly and greases. My wife had shrimp and grits, but they couldn't hold up to the ones we had the night before at Hamilton's.

Reviewed April 4, 2016

Nice staff. Great tasting scallops and mushroom risotto. Scallops tender not chewy, risotto creamy not mushy. Nice atmosphere, pretty quiet. My hubby had the 24 oz steak and he enjoyed it. Pricey but a good option if you want a nicer place.

Date of visit: April 2016
Allison D, Guest Relations Manager at The Downtown Grille, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2016

Thank you - we're very happy you and your husband enjoyed dining with us!