“OK nothing special”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Chester
Mattawamkeag, Maine
“OK nothing special”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I was there for a total of 12 weeks while working in the area, room was pretty quiet, clean, there was no restaurant on the site but plenty of restaurants closeby.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Troy, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 November 2010

My wife and I stayed 3 nights while in the area for a Richmond Nascar weekend.
The staff was friendly and helpfull. Nice clean hotel , Good breakfast, easy access to the track and highways ...
Over all , a VERY relaxing and enjoyable stay at a very reasonable rate.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fan001
Virginia
Reviewed 10 June 2010

I stayed at this HI for two nights during the week on business in nearby Hopewell. All in all no major complaints, but certainly nothing stood out to me to make me want to stay here again. The service at check-in was speedy with no surprises but the front desk was not friendly or very helpful outside of check-in. I was in a king room which was a little on the small side. The furnishings seemed new but the rest of the room, like the common areas of the hotel, was noticeably much older and outdated. It was clean and the bathroom was clean enough (a few hairs here and there). The bed was on the firm side but after a long days work, I had no problems with the sleep I got on it. A/C was newer and worked fine. The breakfast was your typical pre-prepared foods with the signature HI Express cinnamon buns which were not on par with ones I've had before. There are not that many restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the hotel but plenty within a 15 minute drive. Went to an italian place (Caeser's ?) down Rte 10 West that was good and fairly priced. The internet connection in the rooms is not great but good enough for the usual web surfing. To sum it up, I was looking out my window at the Courtyard next door that was another $20-40/ night and if I was going to be in the hotel for any significant amount of time, I'd opt to stay there but for a quick one or two night business trip this HI works fine but in the future I will try somewhere else that is comparably priced. .

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
washington, dc
Reviewed 15 February 2010

My spouse and I stopped at this hotel late one night on a trip down I-95. I like Holiday Inn Express brand so I was confident when we pulled into the parking lot. I've stayed at HI Express hotels all over the country. I also like Marriot and Doubletree brand hotels.

I went into the hotel lobby and noticed how dated everything seemed. The desk clerk was on the computer in the middle of the lobby. I didn't even know he worked at the hotel. He wasn't dressed professionally by any means of the imagination. I booked a room and immediately regretted it. It was $99 a night so that seemed kind of cheap but based on my experience that stay was not worth that amount of money. I immediately noticed how lumpy the bed was. The sheets were thin and there were only a few cheap pillows on the bed. I barely wanted to move in this bed because I've watched to many 20/20 specials about hotel mattresses so I didn't want that thin sheet to move at all. I went to set the alarm clock and noticed that first the clock wasn't on but then the alarm clock was covered in dust. I just used my cell phone as opposed to touching that dusty alarm clock. Next I went into the bathroom and noticed that the toilet had not been scrubbed. The fact that the toilet broke that night kind of explained that.

My spouse and I got out of that hotel bright and early the next morning. We avoided the free breakfast offered by the hotel and went to cracker barrel.

I say this hotel is a no go. We were comped $10 for the broken toilet and the desk clerk the next morning was very polite. This hotel is just not what Im used to from Holiday Inn Express. it needs some major renovating. I can be a hotel snob from time to time but my husband will sleep anywhere and he noticed how bad it was. We arrived late at night with no reservation however I've done this on several occassions (in fact this is how I prefer to travel). I think I will be reevaluating that travel policy because of my experience at this hotel. Avoid this hotel and go to the Marriot hotel right off the highway.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2009

While not upgraded like some was still clean, comfortable and acceptable.
Ample breakfast. Desk clerk very helpful. And..as a member of Holiday Inn's Priority Club we received goodie bags, cookies, some chips and bottle of water. Very nice.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed 21 January 2009

I'm not a big Holiday Inn fan, but we took a chance on this one and are happy we did. The facilities are in good shape, the rooms are well appointed, the breakfast is excellent given the price, and the rooms were reasonable quiet. One other plus is that the curtains used, while not totally blocking out the light, did a sufficiently good job to retain darkness. All in all, this is a great bargin for the price.

• Liked — The rooms were nice and the breakfast was excellent for the price
  • Disliked — Nothing stands out
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2008

This is a typical Holiday Inn Express. Not a luxury 5 star hotel, but a good, comfortable place to sleep for the night. The bed was comfortable, the air conditioner was cold, the water in the shower was hot.

There's a nice little sitting area - this would be a comfortable place to stay for a few days, since it's not just a bed a four walls.

The breakfast was typical HIE fare - good for a continental breakfast, but if you were served that for a Sunday brunch, you'd be upset.

The front desk help was nice, even willing to print boarding passes for us since the community PC and printer were being used.

I rated this a 4 star because I've come to expect that all HIEs are nice. This one was not exceptionally nice compared to others of the same brand, but it was typical and representative of a good brand.

Once again, I apologize for the photos - they were taken with my cell phone.

• Liked — You get what you expect
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank CSL63