“Family vacation in Chincoteague”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Chincoteague Island
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We found this motel to be very nice. The room was very clean,had very nice decor and comfortable beds. The price was right and the staff very friendly and helpful. This motel is conveniently located to the downtown area and the rest of the Island shops,restaurants and the Federally controlled preserves. My family would definitely stay here again .Thank You for a very nice stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 115,it was freshly painted,had nice furnishings,clean and comfortable beds.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
abvichincoteague, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Chincoteague Island, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Dear Freda O,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. I am excited to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms, comfortable beds, and nice decorations. We hope that you stay with us again the next time you visit Chincoteague Island.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

My mother has severe allergies to air fresheners and some cleaning products, so finding a hotel is always a challenge when I travel with her. Most of the time hotel managers and desk clerks are very understanding and helpful, even when we can't rent a room from them. Not in this case. We asked to see a room, and when my mom left it coughing I went in to return the keycard and say we wouldn't be renting a room. At that point the man behind the desk told me that my mother had mental problems and that his rooms 'had no allergies', then he began to shout and only got more rude from there. When I walked out he was still throwing his arms up in the air and complaining. Terrible, terrible experience. The hotel looked like a filthy dump anyway, so it's a good thing we didn't stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank scribblingface

Dear scribblingface,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. I deeply apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. In the future, I recommend that you call the hotel in advance. That way housekeeping staff can specially prepare a room for your Mother to prevent this incident from happening in the future. Your Mothers health is important and this would help prevent her from having allergic reactions.

Thanks

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Website photos of the property are not accurate. In reality, this place is more like the Bates Motel (from Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho). The bathroom was disgusting. Wet, dirty towels over the shower curtain rack and hair in the tub. I informed the manager and he made excuses, but was unconcerned. But the worst was yet to come.

I received a very creepy call on the room phone that evening from a guy who identified himself as a permanent resident of the hotel. He said he "saw me arrive and wanted to say hello." As a female traveling alone, I can not describe how disturbing this was. I immediately called the manager who, again, seemed unconcerned and full of excuses.

After spending the night with one eye open and the chair wedged under the doorknob, I couldn't wait to check out. The same manager appeared, barefoot and dressed in a sleeveless undershirt. This is what he wore while preparing the continental breakfast. It also cleared up the mystery of the origin of the bathtub hair.

This hotel is one of the first ones you see when you cross the bridge. Keep driving.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank Carol R

Hello Carol R,

Thank you for taking time to share a review with us. I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with us. Let me first start by saying that out of courtesy, I personally check on each and every guest within 10 minutes after checkin. This way, I can identify any potential issues which you may encounter during your stay. I would never intend to harm anyone. Our rooms have been recently updated with new night stands, desks, armoirs, headboards, drapes, bed frames, mattresses, mattress covers, and painting. We hope that you stay with us again or another one of our Americas Best Value Inns in the future.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

I just spent the last weekend at the Americas Best Value and was very please with what i received for my money! Check in was quick,the room(105) was immaculate and the bed was as comfy as my bed at home. The room has a fridge and microwave, as well as a coffee maker, so you can have your morning brew. The only thing was not being able to reach the front desk when the people in 103 came back from the bar at 245AM and proceeded to shine their headlights into my room as well as loud, drunken talking, outside and in the room. I finally popped my head out the door and said "excuse me" and got the "did we wake you up? we just returned from the pub". I told them if the needed to talk, to go to the pool area, as it was away from my room.
Over all, I would return again and bring a pair of earplugs. BTW, my second night was blissful!

Room Tip: I didnt choose my room, but the location of 105 is away from the road and drunks aside, very peacefu...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Dear IMS8456,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. I am glad to hear that your room was immaculate! We take great pride in exceeding guest expectations. I am also sorry to hear about noisy neighbors outside of your room. Please call the front desk in the future so that we can take care of any issues you encounter during your stay.

Americas Best Value Inn- Chincoteague Island, VA

Reviewed 11 November 2011

This is an old fashioned motel where one parks outside one's room. Our room initially smelled musty but quickly cleared when we turned on the AC. The room was simple, small but clean and surprisingly well decorated (spreads and curtains were much more attractive than some large well regarded chains; looked pretty new). The beds were comfortable and there are room darkening drapes which were useful in the am. Microwave and small fridge are supplied. The pool is sparkling. There are tables and chairs near the pool and chairs outside of the rooms which were pleasant while enjoying cocktails after a long trip.

Raman, the manager, is charming, professional and helpful. [he suggested a much needed and clean place for my retriever to swim in the channel across from Assateague which made him very happy after a long drive. :-) ] Continental breakfast was nothing to write home about but the coffee was good. It is close to Assateague, the museum, and within walking distance of restaurants and stores. One point I should have heeded but didn't fully comprehend: Raman recommended leaving my dog in the room when we went to Assateague. Since we were continuing our trip following that excursion, we opted to take the dog in the car. Bad idea! Be aware that not only does Assateague not allow dogs (which I knew and did not intend to let him out of the car) as a wildlife refuge, it will NOT even let you on the island if there is a dog in your car. We had to turn around and leave. Should've listen to Raman.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MEB2009

MEB2009,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Should you return to the area, we would love the opportunity to serve you again.

Americas Best Value Inn- Chincoteague Island, VA

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Hard to believe that this was the same place that I had viewed on line-photos must have been of another hotel. The room was dirty and even smelled-don't think it was cleaned since being built. Add to that broken, damaged furniture and that was a recipe to leave-which I did.

Room Tip: Don't book or stay here!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
8  Thank BKBRN

Dear BKBRN,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. I apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Please know that Our rooms were recently updated with new night stands, desks, armoirs, headboards, drapes, bedframes, mattresses, mattress covers, and painting. Are you sure that you have the correct hotel? All claims will be further investigated and the appropriate action taken. We hope that you stay with us again or another one of our Americas Best Value Inns in the future.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Americas Best Value Inn and Suites is a nice little place to stay. For the cost it is the best deal, but I would like to mention that the place is been updated and trying to be a great place that is close to most everything. The wifi is okay for the first few rooms, but I don't know anything beyond room 110. The continental breakfast is only during the high season and ends before October. Room 110 smelled like it had been smoked in at some point and time, but over all the beds were nice and the place was pretty good. The rooms all had mini-refrigs and microwaves and decent tvs and personal a/c units. I would rate it higher, but the room was a wee bit smoky.

Room Tip: People have smoked in room 110 at some point and time. Though it says no smoking you could tell it h...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear theleesons,

Thank you for sharing a review with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our updated rooms. We take great pride in exceeding guest expectations. I am also sorry to hear about the smoke odor. Perhaps your room was located next to a smoking room? You may want to request a room away from the smoking rooms in the future to help prevent this issue from happening again.