“Not quite what I expected”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We decided to check out the Microtel on a recent trip. With a name like "micro" I was thinking small, so I went in expecting that. What I did not expect was the lack of decor (mirrored wall behind the bed), the strange TV placement (on top of a tall built in) and the lack of furniture. The bed was very poor quality, the AC did not work propperly and our unit was less than clean. The saying "you get what you pay for" is definately true in this case. When we checked in to a Days Inn the next night the difference was like night and day. That's right I said Days Inn. Based on the experience we had we won't be staying at this chain again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed here as a stop over point on our way down South with our family of two teenage boys. Upon check in late at night, we were standing behind a couple who were giving a sob story about how they didn't realize the hotel didn't accept pets and they had a reservation there for a week and they had their pit bull with them. They said it was too late to go anywhere else and after only a few minutes debate, the front desk clerk allowed them to stay. WHAT!!!!!! You will note on the hotels website that they do not allow pets. Not true.

Since it was late at night, I was too tired to argue with the desk staff and waited until the morning until we went to check out. I told the woman at the desk of the situation last night and was extremely upset that they allowed pets to be in the hotel after we specifically chose this hotel as it was advertised as not allowing pets. The response from the front desk clerk was, "I wasn't here last night, so I don't know. I'll have to check into it." I said, well, I am not happy that you allowed pets here and you advertised you didn't. She said nothing else and when I asked to speak to a Manager, none was on duty. That was the end of it, and we left.

Overall, the hotel is a Microtel, seemed clean, but beds were horribly hard and very basic. i would not recommend this hotel to others, especially if you have allergies to pet hair as they clearly allow them!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you are allergic to animals
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2011

When I began my relocation to the Christiansburg area at the end of March of 2010 I was thrilled to find the Microtel Inn in Christiansburg, VA. It was an excellent value for the money, with weekly rates. It was my home, during the week, until June. I had the pleasure of getting to know the hotel staff. Ruby, at the front desk, did an awesome job of keeping the breakfast area very well organized and clean. Checking out with her was always very fast! I am very appreciative for the hotel and the staff for their friendliness and helpfulness.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights because we got a great deal on Kayak. It was not that great. The room was clean but VERY SMALL! THe beds were HARD AS ROCKS! The continental breakfast was a carb fest and not much variety. They has cereal, donuts, danishes, bagels and juice. No fruit or anything healthy. The front desk staff was pleasant. Free HIgh speed internet did not work well at all! Overall- not bad for one night if you don't mind a hard bed with bad breakfast. But it was cheap- 47 dollars per night.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Once you find the large white building off the beaten path, one finds very clean, friendly and basic needs! 20" old fashion tv, basic bedding, furniture and decorations. The cost reflects, "what you pay is what you get". would stay again, for that simple fact.

Room Tip: call direct to hotel...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2011

Stopped for a quick overnight in route to Shenandoah. Small austere room. Spotlessly clean. No sign of bedbugs. Has some wear on it, marks on the wall someone unsuccessfully tried to remove, cracked mirror on wall above the bed (wonder how THAT got there...). For Memorial Day weekend, remarkably quiet. Watch Travelocity. Booked me into a smoking room, which front desk graciously corrected. Lots of chain restaurants and shopping close by.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I am a long term customer of this hotel and checked in on April 22, 2011, for a two night stay. My stay was very disappointing. I specifically asked for a quiet room. When we arrived the room was over 80 degrees and it was a hot day outside and air conditioning had not been turned on. Room did not cool down until midnight.

Between 1 and 3 am the room above made noises with their cabinets. Other folks in my room are heavy sleepers and slept through it so I did not wake them with a phone call to the front desk. Big mistake! In addition, strong light shone through the window curtains keeping the room too bright all night long.

On Saturday morning a con man approached me in the parking lot asking for money to pay for his room at the Microtel. As he was menacing I gave him $20. Another guest said this had happened before at the Microtel and went inside to tell the manager. When I went in Ruby said she did not have time to call the police. How could this be? So Isked about the noise, she said it did not count as I have not called the front desk! No solution for the bright light in the room.

Because this was such a bad set of circumstances, I asked Ruby at the front desk for a discount consisting of one "of" the two night stays. On Sunday when I checked out I found a $13 discount was applied to one night. Ruby said I had asked for a discount "on" one night. I disagreed and Ruby then attempted to convince me that I had not asked for a full discount "of" one of the two nights. I chose not to argue.

I then sent an email to the manager, at the email address Ruby gave me, but no response was provided. This used to be a good place to stay, but I guess with teh recent purchase by Wyndam it not a good place any longer!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BCTravel091
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansburg
1.9 km away
1.2 km away
Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg
7.0 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Christiansburg

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg? Share your experiences!