“One of the Worst Hotels I've stayed at.”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the Worst Hotels I've stayed at.”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

To dovetail on 1YoungMommy's review, I too found the hotel small, not very clean and in need of a renovation. This was a get what you pay for hotel, little money little anything. I arrived at 11 pm after a 15 hour drive, just wanting to sleep but it was an awful room, bed, bathroom etc.
The night clerk was rather rude and indifferent when I checked in. Normally can find at least one plus on a hotel but not here. To add to it, the hotel is in the back of another center which was very hard to find using signage and gps.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Disney_Traveler_9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Virginia
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We got a deal via Travelocity and based on the price I paid, I believe it was a good value. The continental breakfast started at 6 am which was perfect for our early start and it offered bread, donuts, bagels, muffins, yogurt, juice drinks, coffee, oatmeal packets, waffles (already made), but it does lack fruit. We had no problem finding a place to sit at that early hour. I did ask for a blowdryer (the rooms are not equipped with one) and there was none; so bring your own if you think you will need one. Also, bring your own shampoo, conditioner and lotion (I think hotel offers shampoo). This is a bare bones experience, but we didn't stay in room much to need more. The fitness room is a joke - I don't think any of the equipment was working properly or fully. This hotel is close to many restaurants and Walmart and drugstores. If I paid more for this room, I probably would be disappointed but since it was a bargain - can't complain.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for one night while taking a tour of VA Tech. Very good value for the price. The room was small, but that was really all we needed for one night. We loved the windowseat! The room was fairly clean (we found one or two black hairs on the sheets, but that could easily be overlooked), and though there was not a hairdryer in the room, the clerk at the front desk offered us one when we checked in. Breakfast was simple and fast, and checkout was easy. Probably the only complaint I would have is the wifi. This hotel advertised free wifi in every room, but the signal was so poor in our room (which was located on the third floor), that the internet was practically unusable. After losing the signal in our room repeatedly, we had to go down to the lobby to use the wifi. That was a dissapointment for us. Most likely the internet would have had a better signal if we were on the first or second floors, as the signal was very strong in the lobby. We did enjoy the nearby shopping and wide selecion of restaurants nearby. The Panera Bread near the mall was very good, and not crowded at all! Overall, this was a clean, affordable hotel that had most of what we needed. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Might not want to stay in a room on the third floor, we believe that is what caused problems with wi...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We decided to check out the Microtel on a recent trip. With a name like "micro" I was thinking small, so I went in expecting that. What I did not expect was the lack of decor (mirrored wall behind the bed), the strange TV placement (on top of a tall built in) and the lack of furniture. The bed was very poor quality, the AC did not work propperly and our unit was less than clean. The saying "you get what you pay for" is definately true in this case. When we checked in to a Days Inn the next night the difference was like night and day. That's right I said Days Inn. Based on the experience we had we won't be staying at this chain again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed here as a stop over point on our way down South with our family of two teenage boys. Upon check in late at night, we were standing behind a couple who were giving a sob story about how they didn't realize the hotel didn't accept pets and they had a reservation there for a week and they had their pit bull with them. They said it was too late to go anywhere else and after only a few minutes debate, the front desk clerk allowed them to stay. WHAT!!!!!! You will note on the hotels website that they do not allow pets. Not true.

Since it was late at night, I was too tired to argue with the desk staff and waited until the morning until we went to check out. I told the woman at the desk of the situation last night and was extremely upset that they allowed pets to be in the hotel after we specifically chose this hotel as it was advertised as not allowing pets. The response from the front desk clerk was, "I wasn't here last night, so I don't know. I'll have to check into it." I said, well, I am not happy that you allowed pets here and you advertised you didn't. She said nothing else and when I asked to speak to a Manager, none was on duty. That was the end of it, and we left.

Overall, the hotel is a Microtel, seemed clean, but beds were horribly hard and very basic. i would not recommend this hotel to others, especially if you have allergies to pet hair as they clearly allow them!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you are allergic to animals
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Christiansburg, Virginia
Reviewed 2 July 2011

When I began my relocation to the Christiansburg area at the end of March of 2010 I was thrilled to find the Microtel Inn in Christiansburg, VA. It was an excellent value for the money, with weekly rates. It was my home, during the week, until June. I had the pleasure of getting to know the hotel staff. Ruby, at the front desk, did an awesome job of keeping the breakfast area very well organized and clean. Checking out with her was always very fast! I am very appreciative for the hotel and the staff for their friendliness and helpfulness.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
MD
Reviewed 18 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights because we got a great deal on Kayak. It was not that great. The room was clean but VERY SMALL! THe beds were HARD AS ROCKS! The continental breakfast was a carb fest and not much variety. They has cereal, donuts, danishes, bagels and juice. No fruit or anything healthy. The front desk staff was pleasant. Free HIgh speed internet did not work well at all! Overall- not bad for one night if you don't mind a hard bed with bad breakfast. But it was cheap- 47 dollars per night.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansburg
11.6 km away
6.8 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Christiansburg
0.5 km away
Hampton Inn Christiansburg/Blacksburg

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg? Share your experiences!