Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Christiansburg
Delaware
“Non-Smoking-NOT”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Husband & I have stayed here many times. They changed the rooms so the first floor is all non-smoking, The other two floors have smoking rooms on both ends of the hall. The smoke smell is very strong throughout the hall. We had the last room in the hall before the smoking room. The only available room on the first floor was across from loud vending machines, which I knew would prevent me from sleeping. So, we endured the horrible smell from the elevator to our room. I can't believe the management doesn't realize people renting a non-smoking room don't want to have to smell smoke to get to their room.

The room itself, a queen suite,was fine as always.Nothing fancy but fancy isn't expected at Microtel. The cleaning in the bathroom was bad. There were at least 20 hairs in each corner next to the tub plus dust & in all bathroom corners.
Breakfast is minimal but they did have fresh fruit, a nice touch. Coffee is not drinkable in my opinion. There is a Sheetz nearby so good, reasonably priced coffee is available there.
We'll never stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on first floor unless you want to smell cigarette smoke as soon as you exit the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 20 April 2012

First, let me say I'm picky about where I stay. I like places that are clean, quiet, comfortable, and have good customer service. I was unsure about staying here because I had never stayed at a Microtel. However, I just needed a place to sleep for the night en route to Washington, DC, so I read the reviews and decided to give this property a try.

Needless to say, I made the right choice. Although not fancy or loaded with amenities, the hotel was clean, the bed was very comfortable and it was indeed quiet. The hotel is located in a nice business park, so there is little noise. It also seemed safe. The three employees I encountered were very nice, and all spoke English! The rooms are small, but well-designed and functional. Wi-Fi worked well and was free. Flat-screen TV was mounted above closet and the bathroom was a little nicer than expected. Continental breakfast was above average.

Unless you require a large room, this property provides a great bang for your buck.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor, which was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BornInTheUSA1
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I have been staying at this hotel 3 to 4 times a year for the past 3 years while my daughter has been attending Virginia Tech.

This is a typical Microtel facility; meaning it is no frills, clean, well located and offered at a value price. We almost always get the room with two queens since it is only 7$ more than the single queen and provides slightly more space. Yes, the rooms are small, there are no desk lamps, no blow-dryers in room etc. This is a budget hotel but being a Microtel it has a stark modern feel and is fairly new. They also offer a decent complimentary continental breakfast. The staff is almost always really pleasant and helpful, with the lone exception being the last time we were there (I hope that is not a fore-bearer of things to come).

The advantages of this Microtel are that it is very conveniently located: just 10 minutes drive from Virginia Tech and only a few minutes from all the shopping and restaurants that you could ever want. We have stayed at other hotels that are slightly closer to VT (8 minutes by car), but almost twice the price. We have also stayed at hotels that are walking distance to VT. This is nice, but are even more than twice the price. I think better to save your money to go to the "Our Daily Bread Bakery" for breakfast and Cabo for fish tacos (both in Blacksburg).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank wormula
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We had a room with 1 queen bed, and although the room was small, there was adequate places to put our stuff. The mattress was very comfortable, but I found the pillows to be too soft. It was very clean. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happywanderer856
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 March 2012

To dovetail on 1YoungMommy's review, I too found the hotel small, not very clean and in need of a renovation. This was a get what you pay for hotel, little money little anything. I arrived at 11 pm after a 15 hour drive, just wanting to sleep but it was an awful room, bed, bathroom etc.
The night clerk was rather rude and indifferent when I checked in. Normally can find at least one plus on a hotel but not here. To add to it, the hotel is in the back of another center which was very hard to find using signage and gps.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Disney_Traveler_9
Virginia
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We got a deal via Travelocity and based on the price I paid, I believe it was a good value. The continental breakfast started at 6 am which was perfect for our early start and it offered bread, donuts, bagels, muffins, yogurt, juice drinks, coffee, oatmeal packets, waffles (already made), but it does lack fruit. We had no problem finding a place to sit at that early hour. I did ask for a blowdryer (the rooms are not equipped with one) and there was none; so bring your own if you think you will need one. Also, bring your own shampoo, conditioner and lotion (I think hotel offers shampoo). This is a bare bones experience, but we didn't stay in room much to need more. The fitness room is a joke - I don't think any of the equipment was working properly or fully. This hotel is close to many restaurants and Walmart and drugstores. If I paid more for this room, I probably would be disappointed but since it was a bargain - can't complain.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for one night while taking a tour of VA Tech. Very good value for the price. The room was small, but that was really all we needed for one night. We loved the windowseat! The room was fairly clean (we found one or two black hairs on the sheets, but that could easily be overlooked), and though there was not a hairdryer in the room, the clerk at the front desk offered us one when we checked in. Breakfast was simple and fast, and checkout was easy. Probably the only complaint I would have is the wifi. This hotel advertised free wifi in every room, but the signal was so poor in our room (which was located on the third floor), that the internet was practically unusable. After losing the signal in our room repeatedly, we had to go down to the lobby to use the wifi. That was a dissapointment for us. Most likely the internet would have had a better signal if we were on the first or second floors, as the signal was very strong in the lobby. We did enjoy the nearby shopping and wide selecion of restaurants nearby. The Panera Bread near the mall was very good, and not crowded at all! Overall, this was a clean, affordable hotel that had most of what we needed. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Might not want to stay in a room on the third floor, we believe that is what caused problems with wi...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansburg
11.6 km away
1.2 km away
Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg
6.8 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Christiansburg

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Christiansburg/Blacksburg? Share your experiences!