“Pleasant stay!”

SpringHill Suites Fairfax Fair Oaks
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We were pleased with our stay at the Marriott in Fairfax. Here are the plusses and minuses in no particular order: on the plus side, the front desk staff was very accommodating and friendly and helpful; the hotel was clean and our room in particular was very, very clean (especially the bathroom); I liked that the beds did not have bedspreads (which you know aren't washed between customers) but had a thin decorative throw that was easily removed; the shower had plenty of hot, hot water; the free breakfast was a real time and money saver (nice variety of foods--some better than others--, both hot and cold and excellent coffee; it got a little crowded at the food table but there were plenty of seats; we often took our food up to our room); the decor was modern and fun; I saw the cleaning staff frequently working hard and they were friendly as well; the location was very convenient for finding restaurants and shopping (there is a Walmart and a KMart nearby and lots of restaurants and the surrounding area was clean, not run down at all...we felt very safe); the hotel was quiet when we were there....I really only saw other people at breakfast; the temperature of the room was easy to regulate and the room cooled and warmed up quickly; it was nice that the room had a sitting area and a sink and mirror outside the bathroom so that if one person wanted to shower or go to the bathroom and another wanted to brush teeth, do hair, etc., at the same time you could.

The minuses: the pool was very cloudy (the lifeguard was very nice and immediately checked the water when we asked about it and he said it was in the safe range, but it was a bit disconcerting. Our kids swam only once because we didn't feel too good about the cloudiness); the beds are doubles and not queens...just know what you're getting; the location is convenient but not particularly picturesque or charming (you see basically highway and shopping centers); you'll need to get a shuttle or drive to the Metro (make sure to sign up at the front desk for a shuttle b/c they fill up fast); if you do the shuttle you can't leave downtown until 5:30 at the earliest; if you drive to the Metro you have to hope and pray you get parking there; if you drive in to DC itself you have to deal with traffic (we got stuck for over an hour trying to get out of DC one day when we drove in); know that if you go in to DC early, an all-day Metro pass is not good until 9:30 a.m. and museums don't open until 10a.m., so there will be time to pass waiting.
All in all, we are happy with our stay at the Marriot. Next time we would probably stay closer to the Metro, but for a family of four, it was a good experience and we recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Amy L
There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Fairfax Fair Oaks

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed here with my family. Property is still new and offered an excellent breakfast. Room was very clean.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tis9804
Reviewed 29 March 2012

As frequent Marriott customer (Platinum Level), this place is great the staff goes out of their way to make me feel comfortable, in my home away from home. I specially enjoy talking to the staff they are so friendly. I have stayed at every level of Marriott hotel, and the service I get here rivals the JW Marriotts. Because of my positive experience here, I stay here when ever I come to the Fairfax area! Great work!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DG032012
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband, son, and I stayed one night at this hotel during a college tour week as we went to see George Mason University. The location was convenient. The room had one bed and a sofa bed which worked out well for our situation. The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful.

The Fair Oaks Mall was close by and we were able to get some dinner over there. The front desk gave us a full list of restaurants close by.

We found the hotel to be clean and pleasant. An average room for very little money as compared to other hotels during this trip.

The breakfast was included and it was your typical buffet with cereal, eggs, toast, yogurt, fruit, etc.... It was enough to get us on our way in time for the admissions session at GMU.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cincinnati_M0m
Reviewed 24 March 2012

The room was clean. However, the setup was not like the pictures on the Springhill website. The website stated that the rooms were the new design and they were not. I did like the shuttle service to the metro and the hotel is located near place to dine. Also, the staff was pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Shecaja
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I recently drove solo from MA to FL and stayed the first night in this hotel as a friend lived nearby. I am really impressed with this hotel. The hotel appears to be pretty new and the room was furnished in a contemporary style and was very clean. It was a nice size and the layout was perfect for either a business traveller or anyone vacationing. The staff at the front desk was very courteous and helpful. The location was also good as it was just off the Beltway and close to shops and restaurants. Breakfast is included and your typical "breakfast included" fare was available so no surprises here. They also had covered parking, a pool and workout area. I would definitely stay here if I was in the area again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I travel frequently for business, and whenever I am in the DC area I make a point to stay at this hotel. Not because of any particular loyalty to Mariott or the SpringHill label - I come here because the quality of service and value for dollar just can't be beat. The facilities are new and well-maintained, the location is great and they have a nice gym and extensive (& free!) breakfast. But their greatest asset by far is the quality of their staff, who are always warm and welcoming, and who are truly dedicated to ensuring I have a pleasant stay. My business may not always be smooth, but when I am at SpringHill Suites in Fairfax I have the comfort of knowing my stay will be!

• Stayed: March 2012