“Still our favorite in the DC area”

Haandi Indian Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 406 Restaurants in Falls Church
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We have eaten at Haandi for decades. So many restaurants go downhill over time, but Haandi has maintained its excellence. In fact, we think the breads are even better now than years ago, They are just as flavorful but a lot less greasy. The raita is never runny, nor too thick. No one anywhere makes a better Baigan Bharta. The spices and texture are perfect. We always enjoy the Tandoori dishes. This time I had the lamb chops, which were very flavorful but not the best cut of chop; too much fat. My husband had the Jhinga Jhalfrezi, which was great. The shrimp were medium size and very tasty, and the sauce was distinctive and neither too spicy nor too mild. The service is competent and attentive. No complaints. The wine and beer options are much improved to satisfy a more diverse clientele. We are delighted that Haandi is still providing high quality Indian food in a lovely space (pleasant Indian scenes painted in niches around the dining room). Don't be put off by the strip mall location. It's easy to park and low key. A reliable treasure.

Reviewed March 29, 2018

My wife and I have eaten at Haandi for at least 15 years. Their Lunch Buffet is 12.95 Monday thru Friday and $2 or $3 more on weekends and holidays. The food is superb, and the service is gracious and attentive. The buffet consists of about 5 meat dishes and 6 or 7 vegetable items. It is mildly spiced but your server will bring some hot sauce if you prefer a bit more heat. My favorite dish is palak paneer, a creamy spinac with homemade cheese bits. . The best I’ve had anywhere in the US or in the UK. Freshly baked naan is included with the buffet. There are desserts of rice pudding and dough
balls in honey.

Reviewed March 19, 2018

I was first introduced to Indian cuisine in the UK in the Seventies. Upon my return to the U.S. in the late Seventies, I was very disappointed to find that the only Indian restaurant in Greater Washington was downtown, expensive and inauthentic. My spouse and I have been delighted by the steady growth of Indian restaurants since then and it is our go-to take-out cuisine.

We have been to a number of the Northern Virginia options and of course we have several favorites. I decided to try branching out and going a bit further distance-wise than we usually would do. After researching Trip Advisor, I decided to try Haandi.

I knew I’d made a mistake as soon as I walked into the restaurant. There were no Indians eating there. My top-of-mind reaction, in truth, was to turn around and leave, but I’d placed the order and it is against my principles to stiff a place in that manner.

Like some other “Indian” restaurants in Northern Virginia (I will leave them nameless for now), this is an “Indian” restaurant for westerners who don’t actually like Indian food. Both the appetizer and the entrée were totally bland, completely lacked either subtle or fiery spice, and the appetizer was just a pile of greasy batter with some tiny, tiny bit of veg hidden inside.

The only positive is the very generous entree portion size – but we aim for quality over quantity. Also, the rice was quite good – but the portion size was lacking! Big give-away: because of the portion size (and maybe also because of our disappointment), we had some left-overs that we ate as part of our lunch two days later. Even worse, whereas “real” Indian food always improves with a day or two in the fridge.

Reviewed March 4, 2018

We've been going to this excellent restaurant for years. On our recent visit, my husband had the Saag gosht, I had the Tikka masal with onion kulcha and rice pudding. Every dish was excellent...perfectly seasoned.

The only reason I am not giving an excellent rating is the comfort of the booth. They are sorely in need of an upgrade. Springs are gone and are very uncomfortable. Option to sit at the tables would be advised.

Reviewed February 10, 2018

We've been going here for years, always dinner never lunch for some reason. Food is always great, especially the tandori dishes. Also the korma curry. Servings are large, We especially enjoy the appetizers which are varied and include vegetarian selections. Service is always good, prices are fair for the area. It gets quite busy for early evening dinner so call for reservations or be prepared to wait a few minutes -- but never long in our experience.