“Not a good visit”
Review of Miller Winery

Miller Winery
Reviewed 15 March 2016

I have tried before to visit this winery only because I am trying to visit all of the Virginia wineries. It is hidden in an alley and seems to have limited hours. The first time I tried to visit, the hallway was dark and dank and it was a bit scary. This time there had been some cleanup. It is kind of cute inside, though small. The lady working was nice enough. But the wines were not good. My friend and I both found them to be bad. I am sorry, I know everyone has their own tastes, but I can't imagine anyone liking these wines. I think there are a couple of things the winemaker should keep in mind: 1- The nose can make the wine, it should not smelling like urine. 2- do not make wine with Concord grapes and if you do make it taste good.
Give it a couple of years and they may be able to turn it around, but for now it is not a place I will revisit.

Management response:Responded 1 May 2016

Hello Dinah, nice to meet you. I'm Jason, the owner of our little micro-winery. I am sorry you had such a bad experience and sorry on both trips I missed you. Given it's just my wife and I, with my aunt filling in sometimes, our hours due vary. We open at 12pm most Saturdays and run until 5pm or so. Our hallway was completely renovated .. new tile flooirng waynes coating walls, and lights. I suspect you visited before this occurred or while it was in process. It's a "common area" and we had to get some approvals from the town to add the windows and such. I think you would appreciate it much more. While we are located in the back alley, part of that is by design, given our size and approach as a micro-winery.

You were unable to taste, judging by the date of this post, 3 of our #1 sellers, as they sold out. So surely people enjoy them and buy them, in regards to your comment about not imagining anyone likes our wine. But, wine is like painting, some will love the painting, some will hate it, I am sorry you have such strong feelings about our wine. I've never heard anyone say one smelled of urine, that is quite shocking, but thanks for the feedback.

We totally get your comment about the nose and I can assure you, we understand this. Not quite sure why you had the "urine" nose .. but nothing I can do at this point other than welcome you to come back by and I'll setup a private tasting with you. You can experience some of our new reserve wines, which for a reviewer such as yourself, I would love your feedback.

I am shocked by your feedback in regards to Concord. It's one of the wines we get such positive feedback, because so many have had such bad concord wine. We do take it dry, as we want it to appear sweet on the nose. Perhaps that turned you off? Would love to chat more about this given I never had this feedback on our Concord.

We just released our new Merlot, FIVE which is a blend of 5 grapes is coming out in a few weeks, and our Sir Oliver Cab Franc and Chamboucin blend follows. I can let you taste these pre-release, if you would like. Just e-mail me.

As a small business, with limited wines, reviews mean a lot to us. I hope you understand this and any future visitors reading this understand that as well. I urge you to experience our micro-winery. You won't love all the wines, but I bet you'll find something you love.

I look forward to hearing from you Dinah, thank you. -jason miller