“Delicious Birthday Meal”

Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: The endless creativity of Chef-Owners David and Stacy Gedney has produced an excellent bistro alternative to the commitment of fine dining restaurants and to the ennui of the countless chain restaurants. Element offers a variety of sapid dishes for lunch and dinner in a relaxed and modern atmosphere, augmented by a full bar, beers on draft and an elegant wine list. We adjust the menu regularly to keep our ingredients fresh and our choices interesting.
Reviewed October 11, 2018

We live in Front Royal and decided to go there for my Birthday dinner this year. I have been there for dinner, lunch and a reception. This was probably the best meal yet. The waiter told us this was the first day of a menu with new items on it. We ordered drinks - a Martini and a rum/fruit drink. Both were good. They brought us a basket of focaccia cut in cubes, along with a dish of infused olive oil. Also very good. We ordered calamari as an appetizer and it was Delicious! Cooked perfectly. It was an usual way of preparing it - with a somewaht sweet (honey?) and lemon dressing (with a little bit of heat), on a bed of greens. I practically licked the bowl. It was hard for me to decide what to order. It is not a big menu, but everything sounded so good. I ended up ordering the filet minon with a sort of hash brown potato and slender green beans. Cooked perfectly! Only comment is that the sauce was slightly salty (I just did not dip meat in it). Good size piece of meat. Also, I had hoped the plates would have been warmed. Food became a little less than hot quickly. My husband had the pork with spaetle and sauerkraut. He loved the pork, but did not eat much of the rest of it (he was full). For dessert, I ordered the strawberry chocolate mousse. It is chocolate mousse with stawberries and whipped cream on a base of meringe and drizzled with chocolate sauce. A rather good size. YUM! The waiter was attentive and we did not wait too long for the food. As the restuarant filled, it seemed like the couple next to us waited a long time for their food, though. I would go back (though it is pricey, so not for dinner too often!). The new calamari dish was the best! The atmosphere could be better, but the music they played was a nice mixture of 40's/50's standards.

Reviewed September 24, 2018

Stopped here for lunch a couple of times after leaving Skyline Drive. Sophisticated decor. Good Reuben. Very good mushroom soup. In an old part of town, but there is convenient parking across the street.

Reviewed August 31, 2018

The food and service here can both be varied. Sandwiches are good if the bread is fresh, but it isn't always. My late wife ate there twice with friends and none of them would go again after being served sandwiched made with stale bread. Another good friend has had similar experiences.

I have always had the fish and chips and they are usually very good but I have had times when the batter was tough.

On balance, I would recommend trying the place, and just hope you hit it on a good day!

Reviewed August 25, 2018 via mobile

Driving through the historic part of town, we stopped here for lunch. Probably the most modern place in town, it is stylish and comfortable at the same time. Friendly service, very good food. I had the Old Rag Mountain sandwich, husband had the Avocado BLT. Fresh rolls, ripe tomatoes (I’m picky about that). I’d come back!

Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

My husband and we had lunch in this cozy restaurant in historic downtown front royal. They have big tables lining the front window so it’s just like eating outside except you have air conditioning. Really good sandwiches. We would stop again.

Been to Element? Share your experiences!