“So-So Lunch”

Soul Mountain Cafe
Ranked #30 of 100 Restaurants in Front Royal
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Eclectic Cuisine; some fusion with a whole lot of Soul! Not soul food, but food for the soul in a mountain of flavors. Our eclectic menu is crafted to suit all appetites because we take pride in preparing all plates fresh to order, so have patience for real food, not fast food. Excite your palate! Absolutely the best BBQ in the valley. Known especially for our brisket, pulled pork, and St. Louis style ribs with our house made Doc’s BBQ sauce, right here on 300 East Main St. in historic Front Royal, Virginia, We serve American, Barbeque, Burgers, Cajun/Creole, Caribbean, Sandwiches, Seafood, Steakhouse and Vegetarian cuisine. We take reservations; walk-ins welcome. We are happy to book for large groups, promote a kid-friendly environment, and provide Take Out, Delivery, and Catering services. Outdoor seating available for the warmer months. Our hours of operations are: Tue – Thu: 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm Fri – Sat: 12:00 pm – 9:00pm Sun: 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stopped for lunch after driving the Skyline Drive. Service was pretty good and attentive.
Food was at best ok. After ordering waiter came back and said sorry no hamburger.
Tried to order two other items only to be told they were out also. Told my wife that ice tea would be ready in about 45 minuets. Who wants to wait 45 min. For a drink. I will say the barbecue sauce is very good and I bought a bottle to take home. Maybe they were just having a middle of the week let down and were out of items in the kitchen.
May try again .

Reviewed August 20, 2018

I think they have a water problem, it literaly stinks and the tea is horrible. That smell and flavor set the pace for the meal. Very hippy like atmosphere, we wont be back.

Reviewed July 17, 2018

Enjoyed very tasty dinner here. Staff was very friendly and attentive. Got to sit along the sidewalk and as an added bonus it was music on the green in town, so we enjoyed the free concert at the same time.

Reviewed May 18, 2018

Went by on a weekend after watching a movie down the street. It was pretty quiet with only a few customers sitting outside on the sidewalk at the tables. There are quite a few selections. I went with a black bean burger with side of sauted veggies and potato salad. The vegetables were very bland--only the oil taste. No seasoning at all. The burger was good but the bread of the bun was dry and fell apart as I ate it.

I do have to wonder if maybe the food would be better if I visited at another time (not near 9pm). Anyway, alot of selection and good prices. I'd go back.

Reviewed April 22, 2018

First I must disclose I'm a BBQ nut and love all different styles plus do quite a bit of smoking and grilling myself. I will be succinct here: The food was tasty and cooked well BUT it is NOT BBQ! I had the pulled chicken, pork and rib combo and ordered the brisket to complete my sampling. All the meats were juicy and tasty, but I don't think they own a smoker. I believe they were slow roasted and although very edible, simply mixing with BBQ sauce does not make it Southern BBQ IMO.