“Very enjoyable experience”

Maaza 29 Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #32 of 104 Restaurants in Gainesville
Reviewed September 4, 2015

From the moment we walked in the door until we left the service was amazing. The staff was extremely helpful in describing the spices and the cooking techniques. There were three generations at the table and we all enjoyed our meals. We would have preferred a little less spice. We shared the lamb, the shrimp and the chicken and they were all very good. I recommend visiting for a change of pace. The owner came out and was very friendly and helpful.

Date of visit: September 2015

Reviewed August 24, 2015

My husband and I visited this spot recently for a date night. The location isn't great, and the outdoor seating leaves a bit to be desired, but hey at least they offer outdoor seating. The service was good, and as many people have said, the owner introduced himself. We found out that they use organic ingredients which was a pleasant suprise. We tried the Sambusa appetizer, and it may have been the most delicious thing ever. The injera was wonderful and our meals were good, lamb awaze, and vegetarian platter. The lentils were amazing, though the greens were a bit too sour. The only complaint I would make is that the prices are quite high, and though I'm perfectly glad to pay a higher price for quality food, the ambiance isn't quite up to par with the price tags. They would do well to lower each menu item by $2. I can say personally that even though the food and service were good, I'm not likely to return soon since I usually have my entire family of 6 to feed.

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed August 8, 2015 via mobile

We were greeted at the door and the amazing service continued until we stepped out the door. Our server took us through spice tasting so that our dishes would be catered to our taste buds. The owner talked to us and explained every dish and told us stories behind each meal. The food was fantastic! Get the lamb!

Date of visit: August 2015
Reviewed April 21, 2015

Based upon a friends recommendation, I came here for dinner. I will admit that I was a bit concerned as I was the only diner. However, my waiter was great as was the owner. Both ensured my dining experience was top-notch. I will be the first to admit that I'm not a world traveler and therefore don't know what Ethiopian food in Ethiopia tastes like, I will say that this is the best Ethiopian food I've had here locally. So... I will definitely go back!

Date of visit: April 2015
1  Thank Luvmiguiz
Reviewed April 13, 2015 via mobile

For years I've been dying to try Ethiopian food and was very happy to discover this place. I went there extremely hungry and left wishing I had gone to McDonalds.

First thing I didn't like was the decor. Very plain and no character. The. second failure was the menu, absolutely no description of a number of terms. Fortunately, the waiter was very good at explaining things. We ordered the sambora appetizer which was really good. Unfortunately, the main dishes had no taste and no character. My wife ordered beef tibs and I ordered the lamb tibs. They didn't taste bad, in fact they tasted like nothing. It we like eating Army chow. Maybe they had an off day, who kno s, but I will not return.

Date of visit: April 2015
Emanuel R, Owner at Maaza 29 Kitchen and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2015

Our menu is engineered in a way that no detail is left about how the food is prepared, our servers are proficent in not only explaining how an entree is cooked but are also trained to cook the food as well, we try to accomodate various spice tolerances hence why we offer a spice plate to understand your level of tolerance, the entrees you orderd happens to fall in the spectrum of lightly spiced suitable for guests with very low tolerance for spice. I understand we cant be everything to everyone,i only wish you had informed my staff of your dissapointment while you were in the restaurant so we could have changed course, Your positive response to their inquiry about your satisfaction is contrary to your review here.
I would like to offer an invitation to you and your spouse to try some of our bold Ethiopian and Ethiopian inspired entrees compliments of the restaurant and maybe we could change your mind.