“Worst experience ever!!”

Maaza 29 Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #31 of 102 Restaurants in Gainesville
Reviewed November 6, 2015

We were given a few entrees that were served with rice that tasted like it was scraped from the bottom of the pot. For the price of the entrees we ate, the way the rice was served to us is unacceptable. It was burned and very hard. Instead of having discounts on our food or getting the food for free we were offered a little free dessert. It may seem like over-cooked rice isn't something to be angry about but with the prices they have I expected much better service for which a little pastry does not suffice. Also the restaurant is very under staffed, so the service was lacking.

2  Thank VIF14

Reviewed September 4, 2015

From the moment we walked in the door until we left the service was amazing. The staff was extremely helpful in describing the spices and the cooking techniques. There were three generations at the table and we all enjoyed our meals. We would have preferred a little less spice. We shared the lamb, the shrimp and the chicken and they were all very good. I recommend visiting for a change of pace. The owner came out and was very friendly and helpful.

Reviewed August 24, 2015

My husband and I visited this spot recently for a date night. The location isn't great, and the outdoor seating leaves a bit to be desired, but hey at least they offer outdoor seating. The service was good, and as many people have said, the owner introduced himself. We found out that they use organic ingredients which was a pleasant suprise. We tried the Sambusa appetizer, and it may have been the most delicious thing ever. The injera was wonderful and our meals were good, lamb awaze, and vegetarian platter. The lentils were amazing, though the greens were a bit too sour. The only complaint I would make is that the prices are quite high, and though I'm perfectly glad to pay a higher price for quality food, the ambiance isn't quite up to par with the price tags. They would do well to lower each menu item by $2. I can say personally that even though the food and service were good, I'm not likely to return soon since I usually have my entire family of 6 to feed.

Reviewed August 8, 2015 via mobile

We were greeted at the door and the amazing service continued until we stepped out the door. Our server took us through spice tasting so that our dishes would be catered to our taste buds. The owner talked to us and explained every dish and told us stories behind each meal. The food was fantastic! Get the lamb!

Reviewed April 21, 2015

Based upon a friends recommendation, I came here for dinner. I will admit that I was a bit concerned as I was the only diner. However, my waiter was great as was the owner. Both ensured my dining experience was top-notch. I will be the first to admit that I'm not a world traveler and therefore don't know what Ethiopian food in Ethiopia tastes like, I will say that this is the best Ethiopian food I've had here locally. So... I will definitely go back!

1  Thank Luvmiguiz