“Nice flavors, good wine. A date night destination”

Maaza 29 Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #31 of 102 Restaurants in Gainesville
Reviewed April 12, 2018

It's always nice to have something fresh and different, and that's what this place is. Yes you can find some nice Italian items on the menu as well, so don't feel like you're not going to have a clue what your eating.

Reviewed March 16, 2017

Even before the meal, there is an extensive list of unique cocktails from which to choose. We tried a lychee pomegranate ginger martini and a balsamic-framboise martini, both of which were quite flavorful without any added syrup or sweetener. Having eaten at Ethiopian restaurants, I was ready to dive into my meal without any utensils. However, this restaurant takes a more genteel approach, serving the injera rolled, sliced and on the side. We shared a spicy mesir appetizer and then ordered chicken awaze tibs, lamb awaze tibs and vegetarian platter. The meal was excellent, but far more than the three of us could eat; about half of it went home. Service could have been a bit quicker, but we were certainly not ignored. We would definitely like to return.

Reviewed September 21, 2016 via mobile

Ate here with three friends. Lamb lollipops were great and nicely flavored. Sambusa appetizer spicy but a good thing. The menu is not strictly Ethiopian because the chef is French trained and there are also Italian dishes reflecting that country's influence in the region (look it up). Chicken and beef with awayze spice was excellent and served with injera. Staff was well informed and service just right. The chef came out to check on everyone and explained everything and gave us complimentary limoncello gelato. I'm from Wyoming but used to live in the DC area and have had Ethiopian food before and this was excellent.

1  Thank Linnwb
Reviewed December 8, 2015 via mobile

For such a small, tucked away and unassuming place, we were pleasantly surprised by the warmth of the owner and how much time he spent talking to us about the menu and dishes. The robust and complimentary flavors were the highlight, along with delicate but tasty and different spices. Mazza 29 has a "farm to table-like" component, offering local farm raised meats, dairy, and veggies. We were also surprised by the Italian menu that you can order from, which we will sample on our next visit. We highly recommend Mazza 29!

Reviewed November 14, 2015

This place is my favorite restaurant in Gainesville. If you like fresh great tasting food that is farm to table you have got to try this place out. My wife and I have come here twice and both times we were super impressed with the food and super impressed with the service. We had two appetizers, the Shiro and Sambusa. My favorite was the Sambusa with its delicious dipping sauces. I got the Beef Tibsnand my wife got the Lamb Tibs for our entrees and each were amazing. The owner came to our table and introduced himself to us. He was very friendly and knowledgeable. When he found out was my wife's birthday he gave her a free dessert. Please try this hidden gem out.