“Lady at the desk”

Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Glen Allen, Virginia
“Lady at the desk”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I have been browsing hotels for an extended stay in Short Pump for a yearlong stay and wanted to take a tour of a few this was one of this firsts I went to. While the room was nice I decided against this place due to the lady at the front.
While I walked up to the hotel, I was surprised at my view. A woman sitting at the front desk resting her upper body on the desk as she stared intensely at the tv. I may be fickle but this bothered me a little but I get it, its just not professional it looked as if she was at her home. I walked in and she was friendly I asked her if I could get a look at the rooms and tour.
I was shocked when she told me yes and proceeded to hand me a key and gave me a room number. While I like being self sufficient I did not appreciate this. For security reasons this rubbed me the wrong way, she did not know my name or have any information when she did this.
I then went ahead to the room and it looked great, everything you need, and clean so that was a major plus. I then went ahead to look at the public areas and thought free laundry was a good perk but the laundry room was in terrible shape it was trashed and there was powder everywhere. I then went inside of a self serve store they have and while this is another good perk their drinks were wiped out, there were only 2 diet cokes on one full rack. If they don't stock this up whats the use when I want a snack or late night drink?
When I went back to the front she was again staring intently at the television. She was nice again and asked what I thought and if I had any questions. I told her no things looked good because I did not want to be rude. And in all honesty he room did look great, it was everything else that needed to be attended to. While I handed her the key it was the cherry on the cake because she began this disgusting cough and I unfortunately ended up with her saliva on my hand... at this point I was done. She then let me know if I needed anything further she was there every day during the evenings.
To sum up a long-winded story the hotel was nice except for the messiness in their store and especially the laundry/fitness room and even at her desk. Her actions were even worse, even if she was nice during my visit. Giving a key for me to wander the hotel, coughing the way she did, and being so into something with Donald Trump on it. It was all just bad service.
While I like hotels with a home feel, I still expect a certain demeanor from people helping me and it is not because i am snobby but I do find it important that I like the people I have to come into contact with for a yearlong plus stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Andrew S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Edmonton , Alberta Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Great Stay At CandleWood Suites for my first time and it was excellent.
I stayed from January 2 - March 22,2012 and the service was excellent.
Room is very large and spacious and the entire hotel is immaculate all the time.Management and front desk staff always helpful whether advising 0n where to see sites nearby or recommend a good local restraunt.Very reasonably priced and excellent value for your money.
Free laundry well much appreciated for me as a long term guest and the Honor System Snack Bar was also very useful for me.
Overall a great hotel stay and in an excellent location as shopping is nearby and restraunts are also close and a great selection.
Definitely reccommend this particular hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CanuckStAlbert17
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have now spent most of the last year traveling for business and most of my nights at the Candlewood Suites. The staff is friendly and courteous. They all know me by name now and acknowledge me upon every arrival. I am a Priority Club member, so I have received complimentary upgrades at almost every stay. I even forgot some personal belongings in my room once, and upon my arrival back home, I had a message on my machine saying they would hold the items or ship them to me if necessary. That is the first time any hotel has contacted me after forgetting some belongings. I will continue to visit here every time I visit Richmond.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank HIExpTraveler
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel is by far the best I've stayed at. It may not be the Ritz Carlton, but I like that! The Candlewood Suites is a true home away from home. They care about you, know you by name... do the little, but huge things to help you feel comfortable and appreciated. The customer service is, without a doubt, the best I've ever encountered. I decided to stay for about a month at this Candlewood Suites because I had severe water damage to my home and needed somewhere to stay while my home was getting fixed. I was going through a tremendous amount of stress and it was hard to not be in the comfort of my own home, but they made this experience so much better. Martha and all of the other staff always greeted me with a genuine smile, the room was clean and comfortable, and I was in a perfect location. I can't say enough great things about this hotel and staff. Definitely make them your "home away from home" if you have the chance!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Lovenyprecious1
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This was my first stay at a Candlewood Suite. Place was clean and friendly. I got to spin a roulette wheel for a bonus. I got a 10% off at a local restaurant. The room was nice with a complete kitchen including full size refrigerator, stove, pans and dishes. This is a pretty new place so everything was nice. I will stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The staff, accomodations, service, everything was excellent. I would highly recommend a stay here to anyone!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Virginia
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed for several nights at the Candlewood Suites Richmond West End Short Pump. One of us thought the bed was too soft. All else was fine. The kitchen is well equipped, even with dinnerware, paper towels, and dishwashing soap. This venue is a good value if you are willing to make your bed, remove trash, and need no help. The day rate was about $30 or more below a similar hotel that offers maid service.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
0.4 km away
Aloft Richmond West
Aloft Richmond West
#17 of 23 in Glen Allen

Been to Candlewood Suites Richmond West End Short Pump? Share your experiences!