“Subpar at best”

Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed for two nights, didn't get our room cleaned. Made reservations at their glen restaurant but went to the restaurant to find that there was an event there and they weren't serving dinner. We weren't notified of this and were forced to dine off the resort. The staff was unpleasant and overall I would have rather stayed at a holiday inn.

• Stayed: January 2012
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Thank you for your feed back. I'm sorry to hear that your experience did not meet expectations. Occasionally our Glen Restaurant is used for private events. In fact, that's why we are in the midst of upgrading the Yellow Tavern to a more upscale ala carte restaurant. We're even adding a deck and fire pit. As far as the service, all I can do is apologize for falling short and reassure you that this is not typical for our property. We really do have one of the friendliest, most capable staffs anywhere. I will, however, be certain to share your comments with our team. Thanks again for taking time to let us know and we hope one day you will consider returning to Wyndham Virginia Crossings.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

I visited during New Years last year and everything was top notch! I absolutely loved it!

It is quite removed from the main road and is surrounded by beautiful colonial architecture and well groomed landscaping. Check-in was fast and efficient and due to the weather, the front desk staff told us about the alternative ways to get to each building without stepping outside. The customer service was really good throughout our stay.

Our room was great - we especially loved the comfort of the bed and bedsheets. The rooms appeared recently renovated and was perfect for a couple who wanted to veg in front of the television all day. The room came with a mini fridge. Nice!

The value is unbeatable! The cost to stay in this beautiful remote quaint hotel is an excellent value.

The hotel has a restaurant, but we feel that the food is subpar at best. There is a pizzeria at the closest shopping center that was much better than the restaurant.

The hot tub was fantastic!

We will definitely return for special holidays and getaway weekends!

Room Tip: Use the underground options to navigate around the hotel during bad weather!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write us concerning your recent stay at Wyndham Virginia Crossings. Although we're secluded, most find us very convenient with I-95 and I-295 just minutes away. In fact, a lot of folks tell us our hotel is the perfect place to spend a few days while conveniently exploring Richmond and the surrounding area. I will tell you that our restaurants are getting major improvements including exciting new menus. Our goal is to have the area's best retaurants right here at the hotel. I hope you'll return to try them the next time you're in the area.

Again thanks for visiting Wyndham Virginia Crossings.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

My family and I really enjoyed our stay at Virginia Crossings. The hotel grounds were gorgeous. It looked like a resort as we drove up. Checkout was fast, friendly, and efficient. The front desk staff were very helpful in directing us to our room and telling us where things were located on the grounds.

Our room was nice but nothing spectacular. The rooms do not have a mini-fridge or microwave, which is always handy. This might be a nice upgrade if the hotel is looking to renovate soon. The beds were cozy and the sheets and bedding were top-notch. The bathroom had Bath and Body Works toiletries (love).

My husband worked out in the fitness room. He said it was the best fitness facility he had seen in a hotel. I checked it out but didn't work out: they had a great assortment of cardio, weight machines, and free weights, and plenty of room. It was a nice change from cramped fitness rooms with two treadmills and a universal that you find in most hotels.

I spent a day at the pool. The pool was the perfect temperature and clean. Towels were available on-site. There was also a hot tub.

We were at Virginia Crossings for a wedding. The event planning staff was top-notch. Everything was very organized. My brother and his bride were thrilled with the service they received. As guests, we loved it, too. The staff were great and the food was delicious. The event staff really had it together. You could tell they were experienced and professional. There was a wedding immediately after my brother's, but you would never have known. Everything was kept very separate.

We would definitely stay here again next time we are in Richmond.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2012

Thank you for taking to to share your thoughts about our hotel. Many people are equally impressed with many of our resort-like features and feel. For your information, we have just completed a public space renovation and redesigned our restaurant by adding a beautiful new deck and firepit. For weddings and special events we think Wyndham Virginia Crossings is a very special property. Thanks also for the guest room renovation suggestion.

I'm also pleased you experienced our CountOnMe Wyndham hospitality. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional service to all our guests. We're not always perfect but in you case I'm happy to hear we came close.

Again thank you for comments and we hope to have you back with us soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

On 31 DEC 2011, my husband and I booked a king room at the Wyndham Virginia Crossing in Glen Allen, Virginia. When we checked in, the front desk made no mention of the hotel being over booked or any mention that the hotel could not honor our request for a king room.
When we got to our room, we were surprised to find that we were given a room with two double beds.

Because our room was in a separate building from the reservation desk, I called the front desk to find out if the mistake could be resolved. The clerk stated that we basically had to take what we got and that the hotel did not make a practice of honoring reservations that are made through third party sites. Looking back on the scenario, I probably should have walked back to the front desk, because I can't imagine anyone having enough nerve to deliver this message to someone face to face.

If I had been alone, a double bed would have been fine, but because I was traveling with my husband, I was truly looking forward to sinking into the roominess of a king-sized bed after a long day of driving.

I was too tired, surprised, disappointed and unprepared to argue for the room that I had reserved via Expedia. I have contacted Expedia to get clarification on their reservation services and I will be contacting Wyndham when I get a response from Expedia.

Otherwise, the room was very quiet and clean. There was no in room safe and fridge. The hotel is under renovation; the tavern and some of the hotel facilities were closed during our stay. We had dinner at the hotel, but I think that the menu we were given was a bar menu.

A well-lit parking lot is located behind the guest house. The indoor common areas and grounds surrounding the facility are beautifully maintained. The restaurant staff was friendly.
The hotel is conveniently located off of a scenic parkway which is about 1.5 miles from of I-95.

The hotel is located near a civil war memorial to Civil War General J.E.B. Stuart.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Thank you for your recent review and, you are correct about the hotel experiencing some renovation. As I write this response, most of the work has been completed and includes new carpeting and furniture in most of the public space. Our Yellow Tavern has a new look and a new outdoor deck area with fire pit. Our meetings and catering facilities have been completely redone as well. Once the weather warms up, our pool area will sport a new upscale look including furniture and decking. The Crossings Pergola now overlooks #18 of the golf course and has its own putting green. It's a beautiful new venue for receptions and even the renewing of wedding vows. We've also added Jefferson Gardens that, in a small way, pays tribute to Jefferson's gardens at Monticello.

I do apologize for the room issue. Because the reservation was booked through a third party, we do not guarantee room types. However, it sounds like we should have done better at communicating that to you. Again, I'm sorry we didn't do everything to ensure a perfect stay. I hope we have another opportunity.

Again, thank you and safe travels.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

The rooms were very spacious...nice TV, good bathroom, comfortable bed, etc. The only problem I see with this hotel is that it is very spaced out. Most people will come here for conferences (and it has plenty of great things to offer on the business end of things)...but you will do plenty of walking from your room to the meeting rooms and to the restaurant probably. Even when you register, don't bother carrying your things in because you will be in a different building that you will need to drive to and then carry you things to.

So if you're looking for a place with pretty grounds and away from the hustle and bustle of the town it's in...this is definitely for you. :-)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2012

Thank you for your comments. You are correct - Wyndham Virginia Crossings is not your conventional vertical hotel. With 15 acres of rolling landscaped grounds, it is the only hotel in Richmond that offers this kind of experience. By the way, since your last visit we have completed the major renovation of our public space. We've also upgraded our Yellow Tavern and even built a deck with firepit. It's an exciting new space for our guests. We've enhanced our pool experience, added a beautiful sitting area (with putting green) overlooking the golf course and created 'Jefferson Gardens' as well.

In spite of not being able to get everywhere by elevator, we do hope you return to Virginia Crossings to enjoy all our exciting new additions.

Thanks again for taking time share your thoughts.

Safe travels.

Reviewed 10 December 2011

We arrived in a pouring rainstorm, after having made reservations via Priceline while in transit.  First thing noticed was there was no way of getting into registration without getting wet, which was a drag.  This is a very large conference facility with multiple buildings.

The good:
The room was clean and the bed was comfortable with sufficient blankets, which was appreciated after driving 12 hours in one day.  Registration and check out was handled pretty efficiently.  There is a series of tunnels that connect the buildings so it was possible for us to go to the restaurant two buildings over without having to drive or go out in pouring rain.  Internet was free.  The building was VERY quiet which was much appreciated as we could get a good nights sleep after a long day.

The not so great:
Our room key didn't work so after a long day driving I had to walk back via the tunnel into the next building for a new key while my dh waited with our bags in front of the room.  Not the best welcome to the room.  The room key entrance was a bit temperamental  for the stay.  No refrigerator or microwave in room, which given the upscale image was a surprise, as were the paper cups to the one cup coffee maker (i hate these one cup coffee makers with a passion and am ready for this trend go die.)  Windows did not open.  Internet kept giving me the log in screen which was annoying.

Restaurant:  we were told that the menu was the same whether one went into the tavern or restaurant, although the restaurant also had a buffet, which was $24.  As my dh is vegetarian, we opted for the tavern.  The food was ok, some creativity although not much by way of flavor (the garlic sauce on my fettuccine was pretty tame).  Service was decent.  There weren't a lot of restaurant options in the neighborhood from what we could see and given the lousy weather, eating in the hotel (never my first choice) seemed like the best option.

A green note: although this hotel, like many others, has the obligatory card about being green, paper cups were put out for the coffee maker, with the little individual packets of sugar creamer, etc. which are not green as you have to open an entire packet for one sugar.  Also bottled water was available in the room for sale and bottled water is not very green.

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you for your review of our property. As you suggest, for those seeking an all-inclusive golf experience, Wyndham Virginia Crossings is a great place. We have even adding a putting green to our property over looking the 18th tee to underscore your point. We are also working hard on our food & beverage experience with an expansion and renovation of our Yellow Tavern Restaurant. With its new deck & fire pit with views of the pool area and grounds, its an exciting addition for our guests.

I do apologize for the log-in screen problem. We had just expanded our network/broadband (3 times faster) and that may have been some of the problem.

Thank you for visiting and we hope to see you again soon.

Safe travels.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

This Wyndham conference center is impressive -- a unique three-building configuration that makes one think of Williamsburg more than Richmond. First rate in every respect -- and with one of Virginia's top-rated resort golf courses right on the property.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Thank you for your kind words concerning our property and golf course. We are currently in the midst of making many exciting additions to our property such as a new, outside deck and firepit at the Yellow Tavern Restaurant and The Crossings Overlook with its views of the golf course. We've even added a putting green for our golf guests.

Thank you for choosing Wyndham Virginia Crossings and we hope to see you here at the property again soon.

Happy Holidays.

14.4 km away
The Berkeley Hotel
The Berkeley Hotel
#8 of 82 in Richmond

Been to Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!