“Excellent Surprise Evening”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Houston
“Excellent Surprise Evening”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Stayed one night right after Christmas, as we traveled through the area. There were very few people at the hotel, as it was between Christmas and New Year's. We went down to have dinner and found out they were remodeling their restaurant, so we would need to eat in the casual bar restaurant, the Yellow Tavern. We were concerned about the quality with a limited holiday staff, but to our surprise, the food was fantastic. We had the New York Strip Sliders and, I believe, the Blue Crab and Corn Chowder. They were both excellent and very tasty. We enjoyed a nice conversation with the friendly staff. The conference center is just north of Richmond with colonial style architecture. It looked like it had a very nice golf course which I would have liked to play, but we were not staying long enough to enjoy it. Very nice, clean hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at Wyndham Virginia Crossings. As mentioned, we were in the midst of some renovation (now complete) during your last stay. The Tavern now not only has great food (the NY Strip Sliders and Crab & Corn Chowder are two of my favorites), but the restaurant has been completely renovated. We've even added an outdoor deck and firepit. I'm sorry we didn't have it for your Christmas and New years stay. Hopefully you'll return this year to see all the changes. Until then all the best and a belated Happy Holidays!

Safe Travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Pulaski, Va.
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times for business. The staff is polite and professional. The setting is very nice although the roar from I-95 can be heard in the background. My room is always spotless. The buffet lunch is very good. The hotel provides ample cookies, candy, and other snacks for the meetings. The hotel is near multiple other restaurants. The workout area is well equipped. The tunnels between the buildings are convenient in case of unpleaant weather. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Room Tip: I like the top floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your review of Wyndham Virginia Crossings. Having been a guest with us before I'm sure you're seeing some of the changes at the hotel. In just the past 6 months we've added the Crossings Pergola and putting green overlooking our golf course and Yellow Tavern Battlefield, Jefferson Gardens - designed after the flower gardens at Monticello, and The Tavern Restaurant & Bar with its new outdoor deck and firepit. In the next 18 months we will be making improvements to our rooms as well.

Again, thank you for your comments and your business.

new jersey
Reviewed 19 February 2012

During a recent road trip down south, we stopped here, which is halfway from NJ to SC . The hotel's architecture is Early American ,and set on acres of peacefully lanscaped grounds. It looks very much like a college campus with three separate buildings.( Monroe, Jefferson and Madison). There is a also pool and fitness center with spa.
Our room was a modest size and offered the finest linens and towels and draperies. It was spottlessly clean and very quiet. Everything was in excellent condition. A very good place to stay and relax , especially while driving through Virginia, instead of some of the usual places. Baroque music is heard throughout the buildings on the PA instead of the usual rock music.
Registration is in the main building, not where you will be staying. I found somewhat ignored when checking in . There seemed to be a problem with their printer and the staff was pre occupied , so we had to wait a few minutes. The very first words to us from the front desk staff ( without making eye contact) was "credit card and ID". Although they apoligized for the wait, I found this reception rude.
My only concern was the restaurant . (Perhaps you may want to eat or get a take out at the mall on I-95 before arriving) It is a beautiful room with fireplace and decorated very nicely. However, there was only one waitress to accommodate a convention having dinner there.... and us. You can order from the menu or choose the buffet , but the food on the buffet was nearly empty by the time we arrived. We chose from the menu and didn't feel the chef was "on" that evening. Chicken pot pie crust was not cooked and the inside was not not adequate. We were given no soup spoons for our chowder and had to ask for bread and butter. There is also a casual "Yellow Tavern" in the same building with bar and pool table adjacent the restaurant. It offers sandwiches, wraps ,beer etc.You may find this tavern more accommodating.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a map of the 3 buildings. It can be somewhat confusing. Get a luggage rack fro...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our property. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I have shared your concerns about check-in and food quality/service issues with our staff and apologize for not providing you the exceptional service and product for which we are know. Perhaps on your next visit (hopefully you will be back to see us one day) you will have the opportunity to enjoy The Tavern, our newly renovated restaurant and bar. We've also added a deck and fire pit.

Thank you, too, for pointing to our location near I-95. Our guests seem to really like the property's easy access and proximity to so many of the local points of interest i.e. Richmond, historic sites, museums, the international raceway and more. If you're coming to the area it's the perfect place to 'base camp' - in style.

Again thanks for taking time to write us with your comments.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Stayed here for a week long conference. The facilities are in great shape and the staff very attentive and seem to be motivated, friendly and really pay attention to detail. Beautiful campus - but you do not want rooms on the back side of the Monroe building as it is next to IH 95-a bit noisy. The rooms were exceptionally clean, except for the industrial cleaner they use which has a flowery smell that made my eyes water. I bought fabreeze and used the whole bottle which solved the problem, But because I was here for a conference- I was very impressed with the facilities and the service which included a consistent refilling of delicious snacks, drinks and candy, I guess the idea is to keep you motivated with sugar!,,, However, the highlight was the fabulous food in the restaurant-it. Was fantastic; you would never expect a conference to have such great!!!!! Food. The yellow tavern next door was okay- good prices nice selection of beverages. Of note, about 1/2 mile away is the VA historical marker which marks the place where JEB Stuart, the confederate Cavalry general died..near the skirmish of yellow tavern- highlighting the historic area near the Wyndham. Overall a really good week- with the food as the highlight!, Rappitoma

Room Tip: Other side of building away from interstate 95..
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for writing such nice things about our staff and property. I sometimes wish I could be a guest at our hotel just for the food. I'm happy to hear you had such a great experience. As to our location, our landscape grounds are beautiful (especially in the spring, summer and fall) and help overcome our proximity to I-95. The good news is; we're easy to get to and close to all area attractions including Kings Dominium, the city of Richmond and the International Raceway. As you point out, the Battle of Yellow Tavern was fought in the area as well (part of it on our grounds). Soon we will be adding some historical signage and even a cannon to commemorate the site.

We're pleased your conference went well and we hope that you consider our hotel the next time you visit the Richmond area.

Oak Ridge
Reviewed 5 February 2012

This place is a hidden gem if you are in DC. Placed right at the intersection of 95 and 295, it has terrific conference facilities, exceptional food, nice rooms, and a very helpful staff. More important, it has a golf course and is located within an hour for some terrific battlefields. The only challenge I had (other than staying away from all the food) is the gym is very poor. It does not have workout balls, kettle weights, or any other small items you would expect in a gym that caters to business travelers. When I was there thee TVs did not work and the internet does not support streaming. They definitely need to improve the gym facilities.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thanks for taking time to send us your comments. Many guests have made mention of our excellent location especially if you're using it as a destination style hotel for seeing Richmond and the local historical environs. If you return during the summer, we've recently upgraded our pool area and renovated the Yellow Tavern Restaurant. We've even added a beautiful new deck with fire pit. I'll also be certain to pass along your kind remarks concerning the staff and our 'generously portioned' food.

I've taken special note of your fitness center comments. It really is an excellent and spacious facility. However, I do apologize for the televisions. We just converted to all HD channels and there was a slight problem during the transition. I'll also look into some smaller equipment (workout balls, kettle weights, etc) to complement our machine and free weights.

Thanks again for visiting Wyndham Virginia Crossings and we hope to see you again soon.

Safe travels.
northern VA
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I was there for a one night sales seminar on 1/24/12. Very pretty grounds reminscent of Williamsburg w/ the architecture of the main buildings. Very clean throughout. Food was good and abundant.....even during our meetings breaks there were tables loaded w/ everything from fruit to nuts to Danish to sweets to veggies, etc. We ate "off campus" the one night I was there so I can' speak for the dinners. The Yellow Tavern is a good little bar.....could use more than the one pool table though.
I would like to go back w/ a little more time to spend next time so I can further check out the resort....golf, pool, etc.
CCC in Burke, VA

• Stayed January 2012
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Thank you for your comments. You're right to say that Wyndham Virginia Crossings is a bit like Williamsburg in appearance. In our recently completed renovation, we have worked to preserve the character of the place and I think we've succeeded. We've just added all new furnishings to the Yellow Tavern and our new deck and fire pit will be a welcomed addition. While we do have Richmond's finest meeting and special event/wedding venue, Wyndham Virginia Crossings is also a great 'base' hotel to stay with family and friends while visiting the area. Unlike most hotels in the area, your vacation continues even after you return to the property. With our 20 acres of beautifully manicured grounds, our pool area and expansive fitness facility, Crossings Overlook with putting green and views of our golf course, Jefferson Gardens, renovated Tavern with deck and firepit and more, it beats just going to your room (although our rooms are large and lovely).

Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to your return visit.

Safe travels.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed for two nights, didn't get our room cleaned. Made reservations at their glen restaurant but went to the restaurant to find that there was an event there and they weren't serving dinner. We weren't notified of this and were forced to dine off the resort. The staff was unpleasant and overall I would have rather stayed at a holiday inn.

• Stayed January 2012
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Thank you for your feed back. I'm sorry to hear that your experience did not meet expectations. Occasionally our Glen Restaurant is used for private events. In fact, that's why we are in the midst of upgrading the Yellow Tavern to a more upscale ala carte restaurant. We're even adding a deck and fire pit. As far as the service, all I can do is apologize for falling short and reassure you that this is not typical for our property. We really do have one of the friendliest, most capable staffs anywhere. I will, however, be certain to share your comments with our team. Thanks again for taking time to let us know and we hope one day you will consider returning to Wyndham Virginia Crossings.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Allen
14.4 km away
Omni Richmond Hotel
Omni Richmond Hotel
#13 of 82 in Richmond

Been to Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!