“Closed but try King of Judah”

Island Flavours Caribbean Restaurant
Ranked #71 of 354 Restaurants in Hampton
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed December 15, 2016

This was a nice little family run restaurant. They closed their doors and a new Caribbean restaurant (King of Judah) took their place. The new one is better than ever with more hours and more variety. The food was always great at Island Flavors but she was often out of food by the time I went to eat. The new folks do not have that problem. And they are open 7 days a week now.

1  Thank Oranutan1

Reviewed August 4, 2016 via mobile

Plenty of choices. All good!
Menu rotates throughout the week.
Go early to make sure roti isn't all gone. Try pre ordering to ensure availability. Portion sizes are large.
The owner is an absolute darling and makes you feel welcome. Cooking from the heart, this place is never a miss!

Reviewed April 27, 2016 via mobile

I'm a huge fan of southern Caribbean foods, having grown up in Barbados. So when friends mentioned this spot, I jumped at the chance to go and try it out.

Even though it seemed a bit pricey ($10), I ordered a chicken roti, and added a side of friend plantains (another $2 or so).

What I received was a huge, over portioned roti that could not possibly be eaten by hand. I had to attack it with knife and fork. That seemed to make up for the price.

But the surprise I found inside this roti knocked that thought back - the chicken was not totally deboned!

This was a shock for me, I've never experienced any kind of roti with the bones left in it. Maybe that's the way they do it in Trinidad, but why would you?

And not only that, several of the chicken bones were splintered. Not only was I cutting chicken away from the bone, but I was having to pull small splinters of chicken bone out of just about every bite I took.

I occasionally expect this with whole fish dishes, but finger food?

I do have to say the flavor of the roti and tenderness of the long-cooked chicken was perfect. It made for a very tasty meal. The plantains were very good, as well.

But for the price I paid, I don't think I should have to be picking bones out of my meal, much less pulling splinters of bones out of my mouth at each bite.

They get high marks for flavor, but execution? Not so much.

You may want to reconsider visiting this spot.

Reviewed March 13, 2016

I eat here quite often for their fantastic lunch special. For around 7 bucks you get three pieces of jerk chicken (or other selection) and two sides. the chicken has just enough spice to let you know its there. the sides are different everyday and are all excellent. i keep saying im going to try their oxtails because the owner says they are the best around but i am rarely around at dinner to get them. they make everything fresh and you can really tell. when a vendor comes to town and wants to take me to lunch this is where we always go. several of them now just go because its so good.

Reviewed August 24, 2015

Ok, now I am always on the hunt for something DIFFERENT....and THIS PLACE is that. It is tucked away not too far from LARC or LAFB or Colesium District. It sits DOWN the street from the Hampton Hospital. Its in a short strip mall of stores ranging from a corner store, Italain, and a wing place. Once you enter, there is a LARGE sign hanging indicating "where to place your order". Once there, you will then see the READY to be served line of food items as well as the LARGER BOARD of daily specials.

They dont have a walk-out menu...and the specials CHANGE....the food was hot, tasty, and well worth the fair prices charged. Many others were waiting to be served and seemed to be "regulars". To me I am accustomed to D. River...but this place was ok and will support them if/when in the region & have a tinkering for some Jerk Chicken!