“Good location, great staff, but internet ripoff fee” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Dulles
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Good location, great staff, but internet ripoff fee”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We got caught overnight in the DC area and saw this place from the Dulles road. Thanks to GPS we following a meandering route to actually reach the building. It's in a nice, business neighborhood with excellent parking. Check in was a snap with a fast and professional desk staff. My room was nice and I had a terrific view of the airport. Having an evening free, we discovered there was nothing nearby to do. Anything fun at all involved a GPS, driving there, and local knowledge. Rates were typical DC inflated. Sadly, this hotel richly earns a two star deduction for charging $10 for wifi. Surely, where a room is over $200 a night, wifi, and fast wifi at that, could be included.

Room Tip: A room facing east gives a good view of Dulles Airport.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Dulles, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Channel_70,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel and the feedback that you provided on your recent stay with us. I apologize if there was a miscommunication regarding the internet service. We do charge for internet service in our guest rooms, however we do offer complimentary internet in our lobby and through our complimentary 24-hour business center.

Melanie Walent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

The lifeguards are pool hawks. I got busted in 3 secs for carrying in a plastic cup of beer. OK, that rule was posted, shame on me! But then my daughter got yelled at for going into the hot tub with her dad because she was not 12. Then she got yelled at for JUMPING into the pool. Those rules aren't even posted. Do you have to slide into the pool? We complained and got a free room upgrade which was nice of management. But this ruined the weekend for us. It's not relaxing getting stared at waiting to find out the next thing you did wrong. I also thought the rooms were a little too beat up with scuffed walls etc, for a 4-star. There was also a wedding at the hotel on Sat night and no where close to park. And you had to pay for internet access.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Lions1978,

Thank you very much for the feedback that you provided on your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to learn of the challenges you encountered while visiting our pool. I’ve addressed all of the concerns you mentioned with our lifeguards and we will use the feedback you provided to provide better service in the future.

Melanie Walent, Director of Sales
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Although this hotel is a good 40 minute drive from Washington DC, it's well worth the price for a good night's sleep. Indoor pool is very small and has a fully equipped gym. Felt safer knowing elevators are secure and require a key card for access. Free parking and convenient access to a variety of restaurants (BBQ, Thai, Irish pub fare, McDonalds, and the list goes on). Loved the separate living area and feels spacious. Complimentary internet/printer access at business center made our travel planning easier. Staff is much friendlier than other Hyatts and greets you--nice touch.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CeciSanFrancisco
Pleasant Hill, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

Basic Hyatt property with convenient location near Dulles Airport. Pleasant pulblc spaces, professional and friendly staff. Rooms are large and well appointed but bathrooms are in need of serious updating and repair. A previous guest had spilled some type of soft drink on the desk and information binder and it had not been cleaned, but rather left to dry and leave a sticky mess. Basin drain was clogged and fixtures were broken. Not what one would expect from Hyatt. Breakfast buffet was very nice, but they charge $19.95 to eat! A bit outrageous in my opinion.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HyattDulles, Rooms Executive at Hyatt Regency Dulles, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you for your recent stay with us at Hyatt Dulles. We send our sincere apologies for the desk not being properly cleaned prior to your arrival. This has been shared with our Executive Housekeeper to improve our quality controls in cleaning our guest rooms, as well as with our Director of Engineering for preventive maintenance measures for the fixtures and drains noted.

We appreciate you saying that our staff is friendly and professional as we continuously work on improving customer service at the hotel. Our Food and Beverage team reviews pricing throughout the year and will revisit the breakfast buffet charges this year.

If your travels bring you back to the Dulles area, please come back and see us. Feel free to contact me directly, so we can personally oversee your reservation. greg.hischuck@hyatt.com

Greg Hischuck
Rooms Executive
Woodstock, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

This Hyatt is next door to our corporate HQ, so it is a logical choice. There are however, several other good hotels nearby, but I always come back to the Hyatt. Maybe it is because they sometimes remember my name at reception, or because the shuttle drivers are so friendly, or every room is big and has a separate living area, or that the food is so good, or that we have had so many good times in the bar/lobby area??

if you are staying in this area of Herndon, I recommend it!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Dulles, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear upintheairtoomuch,

Thank you for your kind words about our associates and our facility in your recent review of our hotel. It's not often that guests take the time to write such positive reviews. From your username, it looks like you are a busy traveler, and we truly appreciate that you took the time to give your feedback. We look forward to you staying with us again in the near future and please let us know if can do anything to assist.

Bratislava, Slovakia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

I've stayed at this Hyatt numerous times and each time was good. However, during one of my last stays, I did encounter a few issues.

When walking up to the building, I inquired about obtaining a bell cart. While the bellman pointed out the bell carts, the bellman did not offer to help me unload my car and bring my belongings up to my room.

The first room I checked into had a faulty keycard reader that did not open without many keycard swipes. Upon entering the room, it had a strong cigarette smell. I asked to transfer rooms and was able to move without an major issues. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until the morning of check-out that the very bottom of my bedding had (what appeared to be) mucus. It wa on the sheets where they would have been tucked under the mattress while the bed was fully made, so it wasn't noticeable until later.

I do wish that the Hyatt would improve some things: for instance, the channel selection on their cable television is missing a lot of channels. I wish the quality of the picture was also better.

During my other stays, I did not encounter such issues, but this stay made me sorely disappointed in the Hyatt.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Sluzby,

Thank you very much for the feedback that you provided on your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to learn of the challenges you encountered during your stay. I’ve addressed all of the concerns you mentioned with our Guest Services Department, Housekeeping Department and our Front Desk. You should not have experienced any of those issues and I apologize that you did not receive better service. I hope that you will give us another chance to prove our excellent customer service.

Melanie Walent, Director of Sales
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

Slightly disappointed since the Hyatt in downtown DC is so amazing. I had a long layover, so I decided to stay here. Convenient for the shuttle that comes every 1/2 hour to pick up at the airport and close by. There is a self check in desk (which kind of feels a little bit unwelcoming since its all self service. I think there's a difference between self check in at the airport and at a hotel. The hotel should be your "home" for the time being and to not get a welcome from a member of the staff is odd.) There was construction in the gym and pool area on the first floor so it looked like a wreck. I was on the first floor (totally creepy being right next to the parking lot) and the rooms seemed a little old. It was also irritating to find minor things like a lamp not working and the batteries dead in the remote. Hyatt Dulles is fine for the quick layover, but I wouldn't stay here. Also got a cheaper price for this hotel off of Priceline (made it easier to swallow that I paid a lower price of $45 a night instead of the $100 they were asking). This isn't really a 5 star hotel. It is clean, but there isn't the luxury of a 5 star hotel (soft sheets, fluffy bed, amazing shower / bathroom). Its an old hotel slapped with the name of Hyatt. There is free internet available (which is a bonus).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Dear fxc3,

I apologize that you were disappointed in your recent stay with us. While we do have self-service kiosk available at our Front Desk, there should have been an associate there to check you in.

For the past three weeks we have been renovating our fitness center. I’m happy to report that the project is complete and our guests now have a brand new state of the art facility to utilize while staying with us. I do apologize if you were inconvenienced by this.

As far as your other concerns, I’m working with the Engineering department to ensure all the items you brought up are fixed. Again, I apologize that you experienced these challenges, and please know that this is not a normal guest experience here at the Hyatt Dulles.

Melanie Walent
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
0.7 km away
0.4 km away
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East
1.7 km away
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to Hyatt Regency Dulles? Share your experiences!