“Great resort in rural Virginia near DC”

Lansdowne Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Leesburg
nyc
“Great resort in rural Virginia near DC”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Stayed 1 night at this lovely resort hotel about 20 minutes' drive from Dulles Airport near Washington, DC. Comfortable rooms & great facilities. Nice buffet restaurant on site for casual meals.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Ueser,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at Lansdowne. It gives us great satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our goal is to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 March 2012

For my birthday my husband booked a 2 night stay at Lansdowne. We live about an hour away, and spent the day wine tasting, and the rest of the weekend just relaxing. We checked in in the early evening on Friday, and checked out Sunday afternoon.

We stayed in a corner king room, and I was impressed overall. The room is large, and the bed is comfortable. The view is mostly of the parking lot, but you can see the golf course, pool, and surrounding mountains, and we had a view of the sunset. I have to agree with some other posters that the pillows are lacking. I found a few extras in the closet, which is a good thing because you need to stack at least two, they are so flat. But I slept wonderfully both nights, and have no serious complaints about the room.

The bathroom leaves something to be desired. There is no fan in the bathroom, which I just think is weird. The towels are mediocre quality, but the biggest issue is the water pressure in the shower. I fiddled with the head, trying to get a better stream, but was left disappointed. I've had better water pressure in Central America.

The gym is nice, but the equipment is pretty dated. There is a wide variety of stuff, including some decent spin bikes in the back room, but it is not new or modern by any means. I did not use the indoor pool, but it looked nice (although there were lots of children it in on Saturday morning, may not be ideal for lap swimming). I did not use the spa.

We ate dinner at Stonewall's Tavern one evening. Service was good and I like the ambiance of the bar. I wanted to play Wii or pool, but groups were already crowded around both. A private party was occupying the section that included shuffleboard. The food was okay. I expected it to be expensive, which it was. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here, but it was not in any way bad. Just average.

We had a big disappointment Sunday morning when we walked down to the lobby looking for eggs, pancakes and the like; I guess there may be specific breakfast hours, but no where in the hotel serves brunch of any sort! At 11:30 on a Sunday I didn't think it would be difficult to find brunch food. I even planned to pay a lot of money for it! Sadly we left the hotel and were forced to find eggs and bacon at Bob Evans. What sort of resort doesn't serve Sunday brunch? What are Sunday mornings for, if not brunch??

Overall the resort is nice. The lobby and public areas are ornate and well decorated. Our room was comfortable, and the limited interaction we had with service was pleasant. The resort does feel a bit dated in places, and besides playing golf or using the outdoor pool (both of which it was too chilly to do), there is not much offered in terms of activities at the resort. It's a great base for exploring wine country, or shopping at the outlets, but I wouldn't pay high prices expecting luxury on site. I will definitely consider staying again, and would like a chance to eat at the other restaurants. I may come back when the weather is warmer, and will ask for a room with better water pressure!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Lansdowne_PR_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Decent but not Amazing,

I truly appreciate the time you have taken to critique your stay with us. Your detailed comments will certainly help us continually improve our property and level of service. We take all comments seriously and appreciate all your feedback. To address your concerns regarding activities, the resort has several amenities available for all guests including volleyball, tennis, basketball and nature trails along the Potomac River. Be sure to visit us during the summer and enjoy our free Friday night concert and our wonderful aquatic complex – it’s a delightful way to spend a Friday evening. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope to have you back again soon. Again, thank you for the comments.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 March 2012

stayed here for conf. shuttle from airport worked well, included in our rate. room ready on check in, but had a bad odor, so was moved without incident (though it took a while). room was fine, though clear that quite a lot of the infrastructure is on the older side (easy parts like faucets and TV etc. are updated, but ceramics, tiling etc. are needing updating). Breakfast buffet was impressively good. Snacks throughout the conference were terrific and expansive. Common rooms and bars don't have great atmosphere; seems like place is dominated by conferences. Staff friendly and helpful throughout. Pool was warm though heavily (excessively) chlorinated. Overall would recommend.

Dear “excellent in most respects”,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Our goal is to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own high standards. We appreciate receiving comments from our guests as it helps us see the areas that may need immediate attention. Thank you again for your comments.
Fairfax, Va
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We checked into our room. It was pretty average. There was no fan in the bathroom and the walls were thin enough for us to be able to respond to the people talking in the hallways.
The bedding was nice but the mattress and pillows didn't offer much support and we both had sore backs at the end of our 2 night stay.

When we went to check out we were hit with a $20 a night fee for use of the resort which included: self parking, in room water, internet, fitness center and pool. These are not super fancy extras. These are things that most hotel chains have and include with your stay. When we talked to the front desk about the charges, they turned to a pile of papers that they kept out on the counter with each 3rd party booking's small print. We booked through hotels.com who claim the fee was mentioned on the booking page (but not on any of recepits that say we were paid in full).

I wouldn't have minded the fee had it been mentioned up front or included fantastic extras. Next time, I think we will stay in the Holiday Inn down the street. We will miss out on the fancy lobby, but not lose anything in room or ammenity and not have to pay $20 a night extra to use it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear “Mediocre Place with Upscale Prices & Extra Fees”

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We truly appreciate hearing how we may improve to better serve our guests. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with the $20 resort fee and that you were not informed prior to your stay. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of each guest and we obviously fell short in your case and for that we are extremely sorry. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you and to demonstrate our true level of hospitality. We appreciate your feedback.
Brooklyn, Nyc
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I recently stayed at this property for a work conference. And I must say, upon leaving the IAD airport the shuttle was right there to greet me. Not 1 minute did I have to wait. Upon arriving at the hotel some 6 hours before normal check-in, I was allowed to check-in, which took all of 5 minutes, and was in my hotel room in a jiffy. The room was very nice. All the amenities of the average hotel room. The food selection during my stay was amazing. The salmon was expecially good. The resort grounds are gorgeous. I had a view overlooking the golf course, and it was very pretty.

The hotel staff were very friendly and accomodating. I truly enjoyed myself at this resort. I would stay here again, if I were ever in the area.

Dear Good Stay,

You are very kind to be so complimentary of the many facets of Lansdowne Resort, thank you very much. The staff will be happy to know how much you enjoyed your visit. We are happy to know that we were able to provide you with a pleasant experience and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife found a great deal on Living Social so we stayed here for my birthday weekend even though it is only 45 minutes from home. We had been once before for after-wedding party and loved the atmosphere.

We arrived Friday evening and were immediately greeted by Bill the bell hop/valet. His bright energetic demeanor set the tone for the whole weekend. Check-in was a breeze and we went to the room to enjoy the champagne provided as part of our package deal which was chilled and waiting for us.

That night we enjoyed a wonderful dinner at On the Potomac restaurant in the hotel (one of 4 on site). The menu was wonderful and very focused on local food. What a delight.

After enjoying the breakfast buffet at Riverside Hearth restaurant we headed to the spa for facial (my wife) and massage (me). She wasn't so enamored with the facial, but the massage was awesome. We spent the rest of the day touring wineries in Loudon County (all within 50 minutes of Lansdowne). After dinner in Historic Downtown Leesburg we came back for another peaceful, quiet night at Lansdowne.

I would go back in heartbeat!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Potomac River.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RagsKP94
Dear “Great Off-Season Birthday Weekend”,

We couldn't be more thrilled to hear the enthusiasm you've shared regarding your stay with us at Lansdowne Resort. Our location is convenient to many of the local wineries in the surrounding area and shopping outlets. Our historic downtown Leesburg is always a wonderful tourist attraction with the quaint shops and restaurants. The satisfaction of our guests is our priority, so to know that you had a wonderful stay with us gives us great pleasure. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you and your husband back to visit us in the very near future.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 4 March 2012

VERY OVERPRICED, the spa was extremely over priced for services. Also, guests in the spa area were VERY loud, it sounded like I was in a bar, not a spa to relax. You also have to pay 20 dollars per person to use resort facilities but this does not include the spa sauna, steam room, or hot tub., this will cost you and additional 50 dollars per person, per day, if you are not having a 70 dollar mediocre pedicure !

Food was good, but once again, not worth the price! and it is 20 dollars to rent a movie(which in comparison to 12 dollars at most 5 star) I am also not a stingy/ frugal person AT ALL. If something is worth the price, I will definitely splurge !

The pillows, bed, and towels were really scratchy and uncomfortable.

Lower your prices or heighten your quality

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marisaJ_12
Terrie C, Public Relations Manager at Lansdowne Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Mehh,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to write a review. It is our continuous endeavor to provide the highest level of service and hospitality and apologize that we fell short of this goal during your visit with us. I will forward your comments about the bedding to our Director of Housekeeping for his review. We look forward to restoring your faith in us on your next visit. Thank you again for bringing these concerns to our attention.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leesburg
6.5 km away
The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner
#1 of 14 in Tysons Corner
3.2 km away
SpringHill Suites Ashburn Dulles North

Been to Lansdowne Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!