All reviewssummer kitchenthe main housegolden retrieverblintzespicnic lunchwine pairingjefferson suitethomas jeffersonpork loinlarge bedroomb bsva winesthe main living roombaked eggshistoric locationdietary restrictionsnext morning
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I couldn't give the owners of the Inn at Meander Plantation a higher compliment than to say everything was just perfect! From the warm, cozy and beautiful room we stayed in (Summer Kitchen ) to elegant and delicious meals we enjoyed during our stay. The breakfasts were delicious and served warm/hot in a timely manner with multiple courses. The 5 course evening meal was mouth watering for every bite. The hosts were gracious and genuinely friendly. The home is steeped in history. Joshua Fry, the original owner was partners with Peter Jefferson, the father of Thomas Jefferson who visited this plantation often when he was a boy. Joshua Fry also was a commander of the Virginia Militia during the French and Indian War. After Fry was killed at the Battle of Cumberland his second in command, George Washington, came back to the Plantation for a month after the battle to stay with Fry's widow and children to aid in their welfare. Joshua Fry was buried at Cumberland but his son, Henry, is buried in the family graveyard my girlfriend and I visited along with numerous other family members buried there over the past 300 years. It was a step back in time to visit this ancient (by American standards) gravesite that had more children buried in it than adults unfortunately . There was even a recent marker on one of the graves identifying them as a veteran of the War of 1812. On a more lighthearted topic, the Virginia wines that were served were all delicious and hand picked by the owners. The fire places really made it feel cozy even if they were gas powered with remote controls(not all of them) and they heated the room up quickly. Again, an overall wonderful time at a location not that far away from DC and its' suburbs.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thedude814
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have stayed at several B&Bs along the east coast and each has its charm, including this one. We stayed in the Washington Cottage which was a private, separate building. The bathroom was large and had new fixtures, and a jacuzzi. There was no shower curtain so privacy was a little bit of an issue if someone needed to use the bathroom while you were showering but the water was steamy and room was spacious. The bed was very comfortable and one night it was chilly enough that we put on the gas fireplace in the corner to warm it up. We had our own private little patio with table and chairs so we could sip the wine we ordered while admiring the field of flowers below. Further up the hill, closer to the main inn, there were adirondack chairs where we sat most the time, sipping wine and taking in the beautiful pastoral scenery. Pets were apparently welcome and the Inn pooch was friendly but not in your way. The breakfasts were very good and offered a nice interesting variety of food; the 5 course dinner on Friday was excellent. Everything is cooked on site. Prior to dinner there were cocktails (full bar) and appetizers served in the living room, afterward adjourning to the dining area. While other reviewers found this inn to be a bit tired and in need of fixing up, we found it most charming and we would definitely stay there again. The innkeeper, Suzanne, was very pleasant and her staff couldn't have been more helpful from arrival to departure. We did stop in at the Willow Grove mentioned in another review. While that inn is old, the decor is very chic and new; also very pricey. I thought Meander was a good value, even if some repairs need to be made. I'd say go, and enjoy the view, the food and the hospitality. Convenient to Orange and also to Culpepper, as well as historic sites and many VA vineyards.

Room Tip: The Washington Cottage was very quaint and spacious; Groom's cottage looked spacious too.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JennyL3123
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband I have stayed at many B&B's in our 30 years of marriage. Most are very good. Every so often, we are disappointed and so it was with this inn. Since the innkeepers have 20 years of innkeeping experience and their website told a different story, I was surprised with their inattention to details. We stayed in the Colonel Fry Suite in the main house. Water damaged ceilings, storebought gingersnaps, an unswept entry and ladybugs and other creatures "welcomed" us. First impressions are everything and we were not impressed. Although the suite has an electric space heater and gas logs in the fireplace, we were chilled during the nighttime. The mattress was hard and we did not sleep well. Both mornings, we awoke to "water bugs" or something similar on the bedroom floor. The bathroom was also very chilly. The inn looks tired and needs refreshing. It is not a good value for the money. The areas of Orange and Gordonsville are beautiful. We visited the Inn at Willow Grove, Mayhurst Inn and Chestnut Hill. These three inns are just beautiful and I recommend spending your time and $$ in one of these three. The breakfasts were good and the five course meal on Friday evening atthe Inn was good as well. We also dined at Pomme Restaurant, a French restaurant, in Gordonsville and highly recommend it. We will be traveling from Richmond to Pomme for more great dining.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Love2Travel804
Reviewed September 7, 2012

First let me start out by saying the setting, location, charm and hospitality and food of this inn are exceptional. With that being said in a world where there are many options for accommodations there is room for improvement, possibly central air (window units used) and some up to date renovations needed. My room was reasonable clean and cozy. Some cracks in plaster, some spider webs in windows. Old doors that stick. If you are looking for quiet this is it. (with exception of AC units) No telephone or TV in your room. Of course, you have to appreciate the date of this place and realize the history you are experiencing. I enjoyed my stay but I like the old trying to meet the new. The view is peaceful and relaxing. All in all I enjoyed my visit and respect the work needed to maintain this old plantation. I am glad I had the opportunity to experience it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank fivebirds55555
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My sister and I came here for a little beginning of the week girls getaway. It was beautiful, relaxing, and fun! The grounds were gorgeous. We had the chance to sit outside with a glass of wine one evening before dinner and just enjoy the mountain view. The room was very spacious, the beds were comfortable, and the robes they provided were plush and enveloping! They called to have massage therapists come to our room for massages right after breakfast. The food was out of this world. We did the wine pairing and 5 course meal for dinner. I contacted them ahead of time about specific dietary needs, and the options on their menu were tailored to what I shared with them. Each glass of wine was a generous pour and perfectly complimented the food. Breakfast each morning was scrumptious. Everything is homemade... the baked goods.... amazing. The hospitality from everyone was amazing. I was coming down with a cold and fever while there and they supplied me with medicine when I asked them. As a nursing mother taking a little vacay from the baby, I pumped throughout the day. No questions asked, they let me store what I pumped in a small refrigerator in their main kitchen since there was no fridge in our room. I can't say enough great things about this place. I would love to go back. If you don't end up staying there, at least go there for the dinner... again, it was outstanding!! (I am running out of positive adjectives to describe it!)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family