The Inn at Willow Grove(Orange)
US$265
US$99
US$65
US$70
US$71
Quality Inn(Culpeper)
US$68
Best Western Culpeper Inn(Culpeper)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$90
US$118
US$159
Hotels.com
All reviewssummer kitchenthe main housegolden retrieverblintzespicnic lunchwine pairingjefferson suitethomas jeffersonpork loinlarge bedroomb bsva winesthe main living roombaked eggshistoric locationdietary restrictionsnext morning
Reviewed November 5, 2017 via mobile

This house in place what used to be a plantation more 250 years back will give you that strange mixed feeling of going back in time & the possibility that it is accommodated by ghosts!!! It's unique experience that you should try if you are exploring the area around or in your way to Shenandoah National Park. We stopped for one night & truly loved the whole experience. The staff were very helpful. Every thing in the hotel was really ancient. The rooms were clean. If I would suggest any thing, then a new beddings will add freshness to the rooms. The restaurant does not work if not booked for whole event. So it will be good idea that you carry with you light meals, as they provide only breakfast. The breakfast choices are variable & good.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded November 6, 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The Inn at Meander Plantation. It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest. On behalf of the entire team we are so pleased that you were able to experience our inn and the service that our associates strive to deliver on a daily basis. I have worked here for the prior owners and current for many years and have not ever experience any other worldly spirits apart from many local hand crafted spirits (Belmont Distillery)! Which brings out the ghost in all of us! On behalf of the entire team at The Inn at Meander Plantation, we sincerely hope to have the opportunity
of welcoming you back soon.

The Inn at Meander Plantation

Reviewed October 7, 2017

My husband and I spent a night at the Inn at Meander Plantation in the Rapidan room which one of two rooms in the cottage just to the right of the main Inn if you’re facing the Inn. We had read all the wonderful reviews so we were really excited to go out of town for a few days to celebrate my husband’s birthday. Our night in the Rapidan was not cheap, the base price was $279 and with tax and other fees it was over $300. For that price, we expected a very nice, upscale room. We had just come from spending 2 nights at the Inn at Willow Grove which had cost just a tad more, $330 base price for that room. Obviously since the base price of the rooms was close, we expected both Inns to be similar in what they offered for the price. We could not have been more mistaken! The Inn at Willow Grove not only met but exceeded our expectations. Every detail at that Inn was thought out and the room was upscale, elegant and impeccably clean. By contrast, our Rapidan room was quaint and had charm (definitely not elegant as described on the website) but it was simple and the bathroom was dirty. My husband and I could not believe we had paid over $300 for this room!

I have attached pictures of the bathroom showing a long black hair on the shower wall. I’ve also attached a picture of the moldy, orange bottom of the shower curtain. Another picture shows a blue stain at the shower drain which I thought was comet residue but realized it wasn’t when I took a shower and the blue stain remained. The bathroom also has the toilet brush and plunger on either side of the toilet. And finally, I attached a picture of a good sized painted over water stain on the ceiling of the bathroom. The room itself did appear to be cleaner than the bathroom. The bathroom door does not close fully. That’s fine when you’re taking a shower but it doesn’t provide full privacy when using the bathroom for other purposes. None of what I’ve stated is expected when I pay as much as we did for this room.

When I made the reservation online the website stated that you had to eat dinner at the Inn's restaurant one night if you were staying on Thursday, Friday or Saturday nights. The website said it was a 4 course chef-prepared prix fixe candlelight dinner. The website further describes the meal as a “culinary journey” prepared by the classically trained owner/chef. My husband and I are foodies so we were excited at the prospect of a great foodie experience. The website listed the cost as $65 per person. When we checked in I asked about dinner and having to eat in the Inn's dining room and I was advised that the website states that but that it needs to be updated because it is no longer required. Furthermore, we were advised the meal is now 3 courses, costs $50 and that their previous chef left and a new chef has been brought on board. With all the misinformation on the website, my husband and I decided to forego dinner at the Inn.

The grounds and setting of the Inn are truly beautiful. It just seems like the Inn is suffering from a bit of neglect. The main building is showing signs of wear. When you looked at the ceiling of the front porch rot and decay were visible, I’ve attached a picture. There is another big painted over water stain in the entrance parlor, picture attached. I used the guest half bath in the main house and you could see a place where a picture or frame had been and apparently it had fallen off and never replaced, picture attached. The toilet had a ring around the bowl and the trash can was so full of discarded hand towels that no more trash could fit in the trash can. I go back to the price you’re paying for a room and I would expect a better maintained property.

We had the complimentary 3 course breakfast on the morning that we checked out. While the food was good, the servers seemed like they were rushing during the entire meal. I’m not sure if maybe they had too many customers to serve but they seemed almost overwhelmed. By no means were they rude but they weren’t overly friendly either. The breakfast is a really nice touch but like they rest of our stay at the Inn at Meander Plantation it just seemed to fall a little short.

One last thing I wanted to mention, our room did not had a television. When I was booking the room I didn’t see anywhere that there was no TV. My husband unwinds at night by watching TV and that is what helps him fall asleep. Luckily we had our iPads and were able to connect to our TV at home. When we checked in we were told that the internet at the Inn was spotty but we were fortunate that the internet worked well during our stay.

It seems to me that the Inn could really be a spectacular property providing an unforgettable experience but it is just falling short of reaching its true potential. I was so excited about staying at the Inn. There is so much incredible history associated with this Inn so I was truly disappointed by our stay. As we pulled away my husband said he would never stay there again. That statement speaks volumes, he is usually very easy going and easy to please. That being said, he voiced my opinion as well, I will not stay at the Inn in the future.

Room Tip: Don’t stay in the Rapidan Room.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded November 6, 2017

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced. It is our intention to provide a superior hotel experience and I do apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. We truly value your patronage and I am in the process of reviewing your comments with the departments involved. Our management team is committed to ensuring that all of our processes are reviewed for possible improvement and training is revisited wherever appropriate. Feel free to reach out to me if I may be of any assistance. It is my hope that when your travels bring you back to Culpeper, Virginia that you would give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations and
restore your confidence in The Inn at Meander Planation.

Reviewed September 24, 2017

We stayed a weekend at the lovely and gracious Inn, in the Col. Frye suite which was beautiful and comfortable.
The grounds are gorgeous and we recommend walking the trails, especially the trail up to the old cemetery. It was sad and beautiful too. It was very hot the September weekend we stayed or we would have walked more. The river trail is pretty too.
Be forewarned: there is no TV in the suite, so bring a tablet. I had a book to read but my husband was antsy. I believe there is a TV in the cottage which is beautiful from the outside.
We have stayed in many B&Bs over the years and there is almost always an innkeeper eager to show you around and give you some history of the house. There was really no one at the Inn to answer questions etc. We arrived late and they had left a note for us with detailed instructions on which room was ours, with a cell phone number of Courtney, one of the managers. I texted her upon our arrival and called her on Saturday; she didn't reply to either message.
Breakfast: everyone sat at their own table, which we liked; we're not always in the mood for chat. But our server, a young woman, was either very unfriendly or maybe painfully shy. It was an odd and unsatisfying experience. I am still going to give them 5 stars but we found it odd that there was not a more welcoming staff person around.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HSQ1958
Management response:Responded November 6, 2017

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences that may have been experienced during your recent stay. I do have some issues with cell service being in such a rural area and apologize for not getting back with you. Your feedback is very much appreciated as our management team is committed to ensuring that all of our
processes are reviewed for possible improvement and training is revisited wherever appropriate. It is my hope that when your travels bring you back to Culpeper, Virginia that you would give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations of The Inn at Meander Plantation.

Reviewed September 19, 2017

Sept 14, 2017
This was a great place to spent my birthday night-Sept 14th. After touring the James Madison Museum and House, we stayed at The Inn at Meander Plantation. it is beautiful. It is hard to image this was once a Plantation. We stayed in the Robinson Cabbage. We had a great 4 course meal and the menu had my name on it. Happy Birthday to Elizabeth. The next morning was beautiful. I went for a walk around the property. The view of the Blue Ridges Mountains was breathless. Breakfast was great! The staff was outstanding and we do plan to return. Thank you for making my birthday great!
ARMYWalker2020-Lizz@56

Room Tip: Stay in one of the cottages. We started in the Robinson Cottage.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2017 via mobile

In the big picture, this is a very nice inn. The grounds are broad and beautiful, the meals are good, and the rooms nicely appointed. The devil is in the details.

We stayed in the Washington Cottage which has a blend of antique pieces and complementary modern elements. While the room is well decorated, the air conditioner does not remove humidity such that the sheets felt damp and the air was musty. You should like spiders if you stay in Washington - ones the size of old style silver dollars.

The grounds are lovely for a walk during the day, but beware the hordes of ravenous mosquitoes in the evening.

Meals are beautifully plated. Wine pairings are available for each dinner coarse. Come hungry because it's a lot of food. Dinner for two with three glasses of wine and tip was about $200. The beef was tender enough to fall apart at the touch of a fork and the trout was thoughtfully prepared.

Breakfast was also beautifully plated, although the pineapple had brown spots. Good, strong coffee and blueberry blintzes were highlights (though the crepes were tough).

The staff are very friendly - various of eight sisters.

Stay, but be prepared for some quirks.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple