“Why all the bad reviews?”

Holiday Inn Lynchburg
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Lynchburg
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We had a very nice stay! I think the reviews that I have read for this hotel must be old. Very good service. It was clean. The shower and bathtub were very clean. The bar and restaurant served a nice meal. Service in general was very good. Walkable to other restaurants and bars. I even enjoyed an art gallery opening across the street.

Great place. Great location.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Lynchburg

Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel while in town visiting my brother at college. Unfortunately, we had to stay at this hotel because we had waited until the last minute to make reservations and this was the only "decent" hotel available in the area. This hotel has seen better days, it's not "unstayable", but it will probably get to that point in the near future. The front desk help was hit or miss, one gentlemen was very courteous and helpful while another woman was not helpful at all. Our reservations were made for one room with a king and one room with two queens. When we arrived we were given two rooms with kings. This ended up being fine, since my brother was not able to stay at the hotel with us, but the front desk was unaccommodating when we made them aware of the mishap. They told us that we had made the reservations incorrectly, which was not the case.
Parking was free, but was in a dilapidated parking structure next door to the hotel. It definitely felt unsafe and if I had been alone, I would have not felt comfortable parking there. The hotel lobby and restaurant were seemingly nice, clean and well-maintained. We ate breakfast at the "Lunchbag" before church, the food was good, but the service was terrible. It took over an hour for us to get our food and we almost didn't make it to church. I will say I don't think it was a widespread issue at the restaurant. I believe it was just our waitress. Another table with a larger number of people came in at about the same time as us and was given a different server. They were served their breakfast promptly and had left 25 minutes before we received our food.
The rooms were old, but relatively clean. There was some dust bunnies in the corners and the grout in the bathroom was noticeably dirty. The bathroom was usable but tiny! The door hardly cleared the toilet, so there was very little space. The beds were horrendous! Neither myself nor my parents got a restful night sleep during our three night stay. The mattresses were extremely hard and they squeaked with every tiny movement! The TV's were old, so the picture was pretty bad, but it wasn't much of an issue since I watched very little TV. Originally, I had a room that was adjoined to a room of a stranger. The door didn't seem to close very well, and I was not comfortable being alone in the room. After trying unsuccessfully to get the room change, my parents switched with me as their room was not adjoining. I was still not entirely comfortable, nor did I feel safe in the room. Each night when we would return, my dad would check out the room. I did not feel comfortable leaving anything of value in the room while we were out of the room, so I carried my valuables with me when I left for the day. The cleaning that took place each day during the stay was pitiful. The bed would be made and new towels would be left, but nothing else would be changed. They did not dump out the ice bucket and leave a new bag, nor did they replace the plastic cups that had been used. They did not change the trash and oddly the notepad on the bedside table was thrown across the room along with a blanket I brought from home which was thrown on top of a lamp.(?!)

The A/C in the room was on all the time and could not be shut off. I didn't much mind since I like the cold, but with unseasonably cold temperature during our stay, I imagine some people would have not have enjoyed it much. Also, wireless internet was temperamental, sometimes it worked, but mostly it did not. Luckily, I brought my wireless card from home!

Hopefully, we will never be staying here again!

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Not a place I would pick for myself but picked by my work. It's a very big hotel located far away from interstates in the downtown area of Lynchburg. Very old and the rooms show that. The beds squeaked and rattled every time you moved. Furnishings were dated. Room was clean and hotel was neat. Has a restaurant and bar just off the lobby which is a good thing because there is nothing else in the area. Many other hotel choices in the area closer to the interstate.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Stayed here on a 3 day business trip. The room has been redone but they left an old TV that only provide a poor picture will not good reception, the A/C was not working in the gym, nor the water fountain, no towels and half of the equipment was not working.
Food was good in the restaurant and there are decent restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Stayed at Holiday Inn Select for one night while visiting with daughter at nearby college. I had a comfortable stay. Upon check in, front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Check in was quick and easy. Stayed in 2 double bed room. Room was nice and clean. Bed was comfortable. Nice firm pillows. Hotel lobby was well maintained. Ate at Lunchbag, the hotel restaurant, for dinner. Bring your appetite. The serving portions are large. Food was delicious. Thank you to Miss Maxine for being a wonderful server.

The hotel offers a gym and pool. Did not use gym, but I did check it out and noticed it looked clean and well maintained. The pool was closed for the season.

Overall, this is a nice hotel, in a good location!

Reviewed 6 October 2011

We set out on a road trip to Lynchburg for a wedding. We stopped at the Holiday Inn where my wife's aunt had made reservations for us.

When we arrived I walked into the lobby to check in. The lobby was very nice and open. I began to check in with the staff. As I turn around I see my wife walking in with my daughter. Knowing I had left the keys on the console, I asked her if she locked the car. She said she had (meaning the keys were locked inside). Once the staff heard this, they immediately pulled out the phone book to help us search for a locksmith or some other way we could get inside. Fortunately, for us, the car in fact did not lock and not locksmith was not needed. I was, none-the-less, very impressed with the staff for trying to be so helpful.

When we got to our room we found a very nice place with a very comfortable bed. Everything worked like we expected. And after a long, long day of traveling, car mishaps, and late meeting / greeting and meal, we enjoyed a very nice nights sleep.

We only had one bad experience while staying here. Our vehicle was parked in a parking garage and as we went to our vehicle we had an unsavory fellow approach us from the rear and began asking for money. I quickly sent him on his way and he left. It left my wife feeling very uncomfortable. The hotel would be wise to man the parking garage.

Ultimately, we enjoyed our stay and found it very comfortable. I found the price of $89 a night very, very reasonable for the quality of the hotel, though I suspect this was tied to a group rate.

Reviewed 1 October 2011

I stay at this hotel once a year. This year our room smelled musky, the shower rod was falling off the wall, some sort of silver piece fell from the bottom of the sink randomly. The fryer in the restaurant was broken and the bar was out of Pinot Grigio two nights in a row. By the time we left on day two I felt as if I had a foreign object lodged in my throat, headache, stuffiness, and itchy eyes. All symptoms were gone within three hours of leaving the hotel... Internet access in the room was hit or miss. I am a fan of Holiday Inn, but I am not sure what is going on here.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the sunny side of the building. If you want a refrigerator in your room request th...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business