“Good Sushi, but Appears Understaffed”

Kyoto Japanese Steak
Ranked #253 of 345 Restaurants in Lynchburg
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2017

Came for dinner, got four different rolls. The Volcano Crab roll was the best and I would get it again! However, we had a waitress who seemingly disappeared after she brought us our drinks. She never brought me the water I requested and the Hostess seemed to become our waitress as we never saw the other woman again. We had ordered five rolls but only got four and were almost charged for the 5th one, but we caught it. The same thing appeared to happen to the people that were behind us as well.

While the Hostess was nice, she seemed overworked and when we left there were multiple groups waiting to be seated. I might come back and if I do, hopefully there will be enough staff.

Reviewed July 3, 2017 via mobile

We had my sons birthday dinner here. The meal was just ok. When we left my son accidentally left his sunglasses sitting on the table. We realized it as soon as we pulled out of the parking lot and called the restaurant to tell them and we would be right back. My wife went in to retrieve the glasses and surprisingly no one could find them. The bus girl who cleaned up wouldn't talk to us about it she was obviously hiding something. The owner didn't care and when we left the bus girl came out the building and threatened my wife.
Horrible experience if you go don't lay anything on your table if you want to keep it

Reviewed December 25, 2016

We had a non Japanese waiter and a non Japanese chief, neither seamed to know what they were doing. Food was Ok. The restaurant needs a good remodeling. We were a party of two, and they added a tip to our bill, when they brought our bill to us.

I understand there are two other Hibachi restaurants in Lynchburg, I recommend you go to one of them, and not here.

Reviewed December 17, 2016 via mobile

One should question the health rating of the business.Outside at rear there are piles of garbage and old chairs , the building is in much need of repair.The inside is not much better ,we have ate there for years under previous owners.Today doors propped open ,bad sign for any food service establishment.

Tonight when we ordered all we heard was we are out of this and out of that.Short staffed , poor service , server only visited table once during meal prep several of us ran out of beverages.
Food overcooked,noticed our cook pull shrimp ,which I did not order , out of the trash tray on the front of the grill and put back on the grill and serve.

Will not return until this place is cleaned up or under new ownership.Shame to see what was one of Lynchburg finest restaurants wind up in such condition.When your server comments that" the restaurant is filthy" to another employee in front of customers then if your eyes aren't opened before you make it to a table somethings wrong.

Reviewed September 2, 2016 via mobile

Very good food large portions, the chef put on a very good show definitely recommend. We will definitely dine there again!