“Dinner for 12 - restaurant week - no problem!”
Review of The Bavarian Chef

The Bavarian Chef
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: German
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2017 via mobile

Neighbors got together for a restaurant week dinner. Twelve is a fairly large table, especially during restaurant week. We were seated upstairs on one large picnic style table. The back of the table had a rather slanted roof line. Ok for shorter people. The bench seat could use a cushion. Our service was terrific. Food arrived together and everything was at the proper temperature. Most restaurants try too hard and serve new items during restaurant week. Not here, you get very large portions of the food that is normally on the menu. That is a good thing. Three courses for $29 and you will be taking home a substantial portion for another meal the next day. The food we had was all good. The sweet and sour shrimp appetizer had quite a kick to it - yummy. The beef tips were cooked as ordered. The salmon in puff pastry was very good. Not much room for dessert but we took some to go. It is sometimes hard to please a large group. The Bavarian Chef serves the real deal and we all left with full bellies and smiles on our face. Highly recommend!

Reviewed June 29, 2017 via mobile

We go to the Bavarian Chef 1-2 times a year as a treat. Well worth it. I've traveled in different areas of Germany & Austria and just like the US, the same dishes vary slightly in different parts of the country. So the delicious dishes at the Bavarian Chef remind me strongly and pleasantly of the food in Germany, but isn't a mirror image of any single one. Great food is still great food. The bell pepper soup is my wife's favorite along with any of the schnitzels. Sides are served family style and can be shared. They vary the specials which go beyond the staple German fare on the menu. I've sampled them and they are spot on great too. Generous selection of German & domestic beers. The beer sampler can be interesting and goes great with the biggest, softest pretzel appetizer we've had. It definitely is for sharing. Check the photo. The atmosphere and decor reminded me of a lot of small local places in Germany. With the cozy atmosphere it can feel crowded when they're busy but that's how it is in a small, local bistro place. The staff is friendly, efficient and professional. On the rare occasion that there is an issue, they certainly address it satisfactorily. Go, enjoy the food, be prepared to bring home a doggy bag - the portions are generous.

Reviewed June 26, 2017 via mobile

I tried to do lunch here on a Friday and didn't look at the hours. Lunch is only on weekends. The building was so cute I just had to return for dinner.

To say I was blown away is an understatement. Baltimore just doesn't possess German food of this caliber and it greatly reminded me of food I have had in Amish country. Everything was tasty, well seasoned, zesty and substantial. The service was gracious and we stayed, probably beyond our welcome lol, as it seems things close pretty early in these parts.

Food pics tell the story but one of the best features I have ever seen is an actual outlet in center of table. No hunting for a charging plug! Genius.

The beer samplers were also quite good. I'm no beer connoisseur so I can't say how worthy the selection really is but both of us enjoyed all of them to one degree or another. Make a point of stopping in when traveling south towards Charlottesville and vicinity. You won't regret it.

Reviewed June 21, 2017

They did an excellent Bandy Alexander. The food was well prepared and presented. The red cabbage was fantastic. The portions were large enough that my husband and I both took home about half of what was on our plates.

Reviewed June 12, 2017 via mobile

We visited this restaurant for the first time yesterday evening. The food was amazing! The portions are humongous! Make sure to get a box and save room for dessert. The Black Forest cake and apple strudel are delicious. I have never had sausage that tasted so good. Our server Tom was most attentive and had such a pleasant attitude. Will definitely go back.