US$95
Quality Inn(Princeton)
US$68
US$140
HIExpress.com
All reviewswrecking ballappalachian trailhot waterallenshuttle
Reviewed July 6, 2017

The Hostess made the day with her wonderful recollections and stories of the patrons whom had stayed in this place. I could almost see the spirits (though I personally did not have any encounters. Though it needed a bit of paint here and there, if you are looking for something other than a Chain, and a bit of adventure, then this is the place.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2017

This place has tremendous charm and quirkiness. If you can live with minor imperfections (my water had to run for almost 5 minutes to get hot in my end-of-hall room), then you might enjoy and appreciate this cool hotel. If you want brand new and sterile, this is not the place for you.

The owner provides a round trip shuttle from AT trail heads for only $5. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed May 24, 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed a great stay at MacArthur Inn, in Narrows, VA. Owner (Allen) is very helpful & friendly. Staff is friendly & helpful. We stayed for 3 days & did a slackpack day! Shuttles to & from trailheads were timely & cheerful! Then due to an injury, we came back for two more days to heal! Great historic place to stay! Great breakfast offered several days a week. Beautiful old hotel with tons of charm! We felt like we were staying with friends!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 25, 2016

My wife and I spent a Thursday evening this October 2016 at the MacArthur Inn and we had the time of our lives! I have been to hotels here and in Europe but none compare to this inn for comfort and welcome. In the evening we had a delicious meal, followed by bluegrass/gospel/country music band. I loved our stay so much I wrote a lengthy review of the MacArthur Inn, which can be read in this month's (December) issue of Front Porch Weekly. I highly recommend you reserve a room there.

Sal Buttaci
author of Flashing My Shorts

Room Tip: There are many local tourist attractions
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2016

House of horrors! There is only so much that fresh paint can cover up. Upon check in, I was given a fob with two keys - I asked what the second key was for and was told that was a key to the outside door for "after hours". The door handle and security latch to my room were of closet door quality - definitely not very secure. The cable TV in my room did not work, as most channels were jumpy and unwatchable. No drinking cups in the bathroom, and no bath mat. The toilet seat was not level, and the sink looked like it would fall off the wall at any time. I tried sleeping on the pancake thin pillows, and proceeded to swipe at a variety of bugs that proceeded to land on me in the night. The ceiling tiles in the bathroom were stained and about to fall down. When I went to shower, there was a strange, 2-inch long centipede creature in the tub that I cautiously washed down the drain. After showering, the water backed up about 1/2 inch in depth in the tub...when it finally drained, a nasty brownish/black sediment gurgled back up and left a nice sediment in the tub. Last, I left the hotel before 5am in the morning..there was no way to drop the room key in the drop box at the desk and lock the exterior door. I finally figured out to exit through the emergency exit doors at the end of the hall. I have stayed in a lot of different hotels and accommodations around the world, including third world countries. This one ranks in the bottom 3 of all that I have visited. I should have traveled another 30 minutes to Bluefield, WV to find a more trustworthy place to stay.

Others on TripAdvisor have apparently had "good" rooms here - unfortunately, I did not get one of those rooms.

Room Tip: Pack a tent and some plastic sheeting to lay your stuff on.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo