“Excellent food, great view and setting but its a slow food restaurant”
Review of L'Esplanade

L'Esplanade
Reserve with
L'Esplanade is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 18 Restaurants in Domme
Price range: US$29 - US$70
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Situated at the summit of the medieval town of Domme, on the Esplanade, which dominates the Dordogne valley. From the restaurant, which is shaded in harmonious yellow and blue to the rooms with antique furniture, you can experience and enjoy the Dordogne thanks to cuisine based on the flavours of the south-west intensified by inventive notes.
Reviewed August 7, 2017

We sat on the terrace overlooking the view over the fields down below, shaded by trees. They have pecking order and you have to sit in a certain area if you are eating off the daily menu. Absolutely you arent allowed to just sit anywhere. We had strawberry and red pepper gazpacho, duck and then the best nut ice cream ever - almost nougat. Excellent quality. The childrens fish and chips was crispy seabass. The daily menu is limited - so on ours it was duck, omelette or trout gravalax.

Reviewed August 3, 2017

Celebrated 9 years of marriage with the misses here. What a splendid idea that was! The food is truly exquisite and yes, a tiny bit more pricey, but we would have paid double in our home town in Belgium.

Went for a main dish and dessert. I took the quail prepared with cognac, and my wife opted for the sweetbread. She topped it off with the giant macaron with ginger and raspberry, I took a shot at the truffle ice. What a treat!

On top we were blessed with a wonderful sunset on the Dordogne valley, friendly staff and hot air balloons flying very low providing the extra excitement.

When you book here, make sure you are seated on the terrace, dress sharp, and celebrate.

Reviewed August 3, 2017 via mobile

Amazing view (and if you're lucky, some low flying hot air balloons). Food is beyond delicious - small touches and little extras that make each course unique. Friendly hosts and staff who made our supper exceptional.

Reviewed July 12, 2017 via mobile

Lovely restaurant perched on top of a cliff. The food was artfully prepared but lacked the refined flavors I was expecting. Had foie gras but the sweet counterpoint to the savory and delicious foie was bland and disappointing. Fish was cooked perfectly but under seasoned and steak with Bordelaise sauce was satisfying. Dessert was ordinary. Expensive.

Reviewed July 10, 2017

I've been fortunate enough to dine at L'Esplanade twice in the last five years, and both times my family and I have been treated to the most sumptuous of meals.

With a wine selection to die for, a cheese trolley that, quite frankly, rendered me speechless (in the best possible way!) and staff that really knew their stuff, this is the place a foodie's dreams are made of!

Personal favourites are the Grand Marnier souffle, the lavender-fed lamb, the special little chestnut flavoured cheese (the name escapes me) and...well, I could list every dish the four of us ate on both occasions.

I very much look forward to returning again, hopefully before another five years have passed, because this has got to be my favourite restaurant in all of France.