Hotel Le Clocher(Ars-en-Re)(Great Value!)
US$128
Les Cles D'ars(Ars-en-Re)
  • Breakfast included
Pitchup.com
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 14, 2015 via mobile

We have been coming to ile de re for 10 years and this is my worst experience, well to be fair my only bad experience really!
We stayed here for 1 night and it was already too long!
To start with positive notes:
The staff was lovely, very helpful and smiling made us feel really confortable.
The food at breakfast was nice too.
But that is it.
The hotel is run down, very sad and old fashioned.
The old carpet in the corridors smells of chemicals, like in a hospital, the same smell in the bedroom and in the very "tired" lift.
The room was big and so was the bed which is also a positive note I suppose.
The walls were dirty so was the floor ( made out of strange plastic) it all needs a coat of paint. The bathroom was small and dirty mould on the walls and round the tape! Disgusting.
Unluckily we had a room with a view of the bins ( noise at night)
It must have also been the back of the kitchen/delivery bay because of the beeping reversing trucks early in the morning ( no sleep in for us).
The breakfast was nice but not organized at all. Queues appeared because things were not in the right places to get a good movement around them.
The worst part was the outdoor pool not maintained at all, broken tiles, green in the bottom with red and black mould all around the edge. We got in and out in 5 minutes.
Stay away from this place at 150€ a night!
Theft in my opinion.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rolipoli
Reviewed June 27, 2015 via mobile

Last minute booking on a 3 week tour of France.
Decent hotel, easy to find, well signposted, comfortable bedroom, and grounds.
Restaurant functional and over-priced for dinner.
Breakfast basic and staff pushed to cope with turnover of guests and new "supplies".
Bike hire expensive but enjoyable and to be recommended.
Spa centre amazing and salt pool, steam room, sauna, etc wonderful way to wind down the day.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2014 via mobile

Good hotel but a bit businesslike. The distance to Ars is a 20 minutes walk but a nice walk. Ofcourse you can go by a bike or car. I read that a lot of people complained about nobody speaking English. But ofcourse we Dutch talk a bit about the border. But....I never encounter French speaking English hostesses so where are we talking about. The swimmingpool was nice and clean and they offered you towel bathrobe and slippers. Good place to be but a little unpersonal.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank luzUtrecht
Reviewed September 10, 2014 via mobile

We read the review and expected the worse. But everything was ok. Clean swimmingpool with towel, slippers and bathrobe supplied. Very good breakfast for French standards a pleasant walk of 20 minutes to the beach and the beds were great. All the complaints were little things and so the staff did not speak English and we as Dutch do speak French and English too but I have been in many places in England and the USA were they did not speak a word about the border. So why complain about others??? We liked it here

• Stayed: September 2014
2  Thank Loes N
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Before I went to Ile de Ré I had only the faintest of ideas about what precisely “thalasso therapy” means. I obviously knew that it had something to do with water but had no idea what would be involved in the treatments. I went to the Thalacap Ile de Ré through RCI, which means that I had to take a treatment package in order to be allowed to spend a week there. Here are all of the things I wish I had known in advance: 1) I have a thyroid condition and the algae body wrap that is part of the treatment package is full of iodine. After the first treatment I felt absolutely great, my skin was glowing and I felt very well. After the second treatment the following day my heart began to race, my blood pressure rose and my pulse went up to 125. Although I cancelled the third and last day’s treatment my pulse and blood pressure never got back to the normal range until well after I had returned home. So, if you have any type of thyroid or hypertension issues, definitely check with your physician before doing thalasso therapy. 2) If you book through RCI the treatments can only be done on consecutive days, meaning Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning. There is no discretion on your part about that, nor do you have a say in what kind of treatment you want. You are given a treatment schedule the first morning and are expected to stick with that. The pace is very rapid and you basically run from treatment to treatment; definitely not very relaxing. 3) If you don’t speak French or only have a rudimentary knowledge of the language you will be very bewildered, as none of the oral or written instructions are in English. Some of the staff actually speak a little bit of English and one massage therapist also knew some Spanish, but that was pretty much it. During the week I was there I met an American couple who seemed lost the entire time, never really knowing where to go, which treatment would come next, etc., etc. because they did not know a word of French. 4) If you decide that thalasso therapy is for you, make sure you bring several bathing suits/trunks so that you can change into a dry one after a particular treatment. You are asked to take off your bathing suit/trunk for some of the treatments and it is most unpleasant to have to get back into a wet outfit afterwards. 5) Yes, you guessed it – you will be naked for some treatments, so if you have modesty or other body issues, you will feel very uncomfortable at times. The women at the Center could not be nicer and never made me feel strange, but you should know in advance what you are getting yourself into.
Now a few words about the lodging and the restaurant: The rooms have been recently redone, are spacious and the beds have very good, new mattresses. There is free wifi that worked very well, and rooms also have a nice little refrigerator. We found the restaurant not terribly good and overpriced. As we had a car we opted to drive the 5 minutes to Ars de Ré, a beautiful little seaside town with nice little cafés along the harbor, to take our breakfast there. This was only possible after I dropped out of the thalasso therapy, however, as treatments begin early in the morning and there would not have been time for breakfast in town. There is a wonderful local farmers market right next to the Ars de Ré harbor, so after breakfast we stopped and bought fresh fruits and yummy cheeses for dinner in our room. We usually ate lunch out and found a number of wonderful restaurants very close by. Ile de Ré apparently has become a favorite holiday destination for wealthy Parisians and we found the restaurant prices simply astronomical. Lunch menus are much cheaper than those at dinner time but even so we always ended up paying right around 100 Euros for the two of us for a nice lunch and a couple of glasses of wine. It was thus a relief to have the small refrigerator and be able to eat a small dinner in the room.
Overall, Ile de Ré is a wonderful little island. It is far removed from the commercial bustle of modern tourism and gives a sense that time has stood still. You can bicycle around the island and many, many people do just that. The hotel rents out bikes so you can go exploring the many hidden treasures of this remarkable island. Just make sure you bring enough money with you to be able to enjoy its culinary treasures as well. And definitely make sure thalasso therapy is for you before you book.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor allow you to keep the window open at night, while floors on the third floor have a door to the outside, which means you probably won't feel comfortable sleeping with an open door. Also ask for a room facing the back of the hotel, overlooking the swimming pool. Rooms facing the front of the hotel have views of the parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple