“If the room hadn't had that smell...”

Courtyard Newport News Airport
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Atlanta, Georgia
“If the room hadn't had that smell...”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

...I probably would have rated it higher. This is a fairly new property with the "new" Courtyard lobby and decor. When I first got to my room, it had a musty smell ("hadn't been used in a while", I thought) and I figured the A/C would take care of it. It didn't.

The room decor was sleek and modern but the only closet was a tiny armoire built in to the work desk/TV assembly. The armoire was too small to hang anything more than a couple of days clothes for one person. The flat screen TV had 60-ish channels available (essentially full basic cable) but none of them were in Hi-Def. Ironically, the little TVs built in to the treadmills in the exercise room _did_ get Hi-Def channels. There was complimentary wired and wireless Internet and the wired speed was pretty good even during peak evenings.

The hotel has the new Courtyard "Bistro" restaurant, which I used for breakfast and found it OK. I still prefer the old Courtyard breakfast buffet, however. The Bistro has a bar and light meal service in the evenings but there is one twist at this property - you cannot order from the bar and take it back to your room like you can at almost every other hotel out there. They claim this is due to local laws and there are signs at the elevator ("No Alcoholic Beverages Past This Point") to remind guests. Luckily the area is very near Jefferson Ave. where many restaurant chains are available and there are a couple of restaurants about a block away.

If I had to return to the area, I'm not sure this would be my first choice. In any event, I would check out the room for odors first.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank 4959keeton
Chirelle_Moseley, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent hotel stay at the Newport News Airport Courtyard. I am sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations. It is always our ultimate goal to ensure our guests have an exceptional stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies and rest assured I will use this instance as a learning experience so that we can continue to improve. I appreciate your business and your feedback and hope that you visit us again soon.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New york, NY
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I had reservations for two nights in April. Only twenty minutes to Busch Gardens and location was near restaurants and stores. The hotel is modern and very clean...I loved it.

1 Thank sleeknclean
Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding your experience at the Newport News Airport Courtyard by Marriott! I am happy to hear that your stay was everything that you expected. Our team here is fully committed to taking great care of our guests and it is very rewarding to share this feedback with them. On behalf of the Newport News Airport Courtyard, we look forward to your return visit.

Arlington, Washington, United States
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I Arrived very late at night with my wife and a little child, just to discover that my room had been given to someone else (I had reserved many days before for 2 adults and 1 child, 2 nights). The person at front desk assigned me a room for handicapped, but there were only one king bed, so he promised me he could find another little bed. He realized he could not a while later, so he gave me another room with 2 queen beds and we had to move from one room to another. This means that I arrived at 0145AM, and I reached my final room at 0230AM.
The following morning I left the room at 0915AM, and nobody cleaned up it. So I asked to speak with the General Manager: the person at the front desk told me she was not present, but she promised she would call me. I never received any call, of course. I am a Marriott reward Member and I will go on using Marriott, but not this!!

Room Tip: Use another hotel!!
1 Thank Silvia M
Thank you so much for taking the time to share this valuable feedback with us regarding your recent stay. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations this visit and I would love to further discuss this with you at your convenience. I will share this instance with the team here and use this as a learning experience so that we can continue to improve. We hope that you will return to the Newport News Airport Courtyard if you are in the Newport News area again.

Burke
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Save your money and try another hotel. There are approximately five other hotels within less than a mile of this hotel and this hotel is by far the most expensive. We normally stay at our personal favorite, Hampton Inn, but decided to splurge for this one visit. We thought maybe we would become fans of Courtyard by Marriott but unfortunately, this was not the case.
The hotel is nice and clean but definitely not worth the almost double of neighboring hotels.
First, the Bistro is simply a kiosk in the middle of the hotel lobby where you order your food, are given a number sign and then wait at a table for the food to be delivered.
Second, there is no room service. This means in order to get your food you have to go down to the hotel lobby to order and receive it. This is very inconvenient.
Next, the layout of the queen suite is not practical at all. We went with the bigger suite (of course more money) thinking that our teenage children could watch a tv in the living area and we could watch a tv in the bedroom area. Unfortunately, the two tvs are only a few feet apart and could not both be watched at the same time because neither group could hear their own tv. Therefore, we decided to order a movie to watch all together. No....there is no pay preview. Almost all hotels have that service on their tv's.
Also, be advised that the bathroom shown on the website as a "guest bathroom" is not actually the bathroom in the suite.
Another incorrect photo on the website is the photo of the pool. The website shows upgraded pool furniture in the pool area when in reality, it is the same plastic type chairs that most pools have.
I am not saying this is not a nice hotel. The staff was remarkable. No complaints there.
It is just given the state of the current economy (our family is suffering as well) we all need to watch our dollars and this was not worth the exorbitant price charged. Again the website pumps up the hotel more than it really is. Save your money. Spend it on a nice dinner out.

1 Thank Victoria429
Thank you for providing this valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to the Newport News Airport Courtyard by Marriott. I am truly sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that we have caused. I would love the opportunity to further discuss this further with you so that I can clarify things further for you. You may contact me at the hotel at 757-842-6212. In the mean time I will share this feedback with the team and use this as a learning experience so that we can improve our service. I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to better serve you again if you are in the Newport News area again.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My family and I had a family emergency in the area and stayed at this hotel. We were so impressed with the rooms and the staff. The staff (Amber) was so delightful, she was such a big help to us and just so wonderful to deal with. The rooms were very nice and everything was comfortable, loved the pillows first time staying at a hotel that I didn't feel like I was sleeping on a brick. I would definitly stay there again. Again, thanks Amber for being so helpful and such a pleasant person to deal with.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ruth D
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Newport News Airport Courtyard by Marriott. I am thrilled to hear that we met and exceeded your expectations! I will share this feedback with the team here and we will continue to strive for excellence. On behalf of the Newport News Airport Courtyard, we welcome your return visit!

Hurricane, West Virginia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My son and I stayed here while traveling to the area for a soccer tournament over the President's Day weekend. The hotel looks new and everything inside was in incredible condition. It's location, just off from I-64, was wonderful. It had several nice restaurant's close and had easy access to get back out on the road. The lobby was fantastic. They had a bar and restaurant as well as a nice large sitting area with large LCD televisions, along with several guest access computer stations with internet access. Our room was very nice. Clean, spacious and looked very new. The bathroom was clean and spacious as well. We spent two wonderful nights here and did not have any complaints. The room TV was a small LCD model and the Wi-Fi worked well. For the price, we could not have found a better place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Chirelle_Moseley, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Airport, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It is very rewarding to hear that your stay was all that you expected and more. I appreciate you taking the time to provide this valuable feedback and will most certainly share this with the team. If you are in the Newport News area again, please come back and see us!

New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I highly recommend this hotel! I had my second stay with them this week and will be back next month. My fiancee is stationed at Ft. Eustis and this hotel is conveniently only 10 min away from the base. It is located right of of Rt. 64, which is great for getting to and from. Surrounding area has mall and great restaurants only minutes away. This is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at! The room layout is spacious and modern. I love how the bed faces out toward the window instead of a wall, like most hotels. The swivel flatscreen TV is great and you can turn it to face the sofa or bed.The bathroom is impeccable and the large walk-in glass shower is worth the stay! The bed is very, very comfortable. The walls must be very thick because I have never heard any noise from other rooms. Very quiet and relaxing, better than the sleep I get at home! The staff is very friendly and helpful! And I love the military discount!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking this opportunity to tell us about your positive experience at the Newport News Airport Courtyard! I will share this valuable feedback with the staff here. On behalf of the Newport News Airport Courtyard, we look forward to your return visit!