“Really gone downhill”

Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Boston, Massachusetts
“Really gone downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here for five nights in April with our baby. We stayed in one of the suites located in the back building not connected to the rest of the hotel. I was very disappointed with the room and service. Our room was only cleaned twice during our stay and neither was a good clean. To be fair, one of the days they didn't clean was Easter, and they had signs out stating housekeeping would not service any rooms that day. However, the other days I can only guess they didn't clean because we had left our room too late in the morning (10 am) and they never came back.
Towels were not replaced and the trash can we were using to put our sons soiled diapers in was not emptied. The room felt seedy - the sofa was old and worn as were the carpets. The bathroom was gross - tile grout was filthy and the shower needed a good scrubbing. The pool is nice, but that's about the only good thing I can say after this trip. We have stayed here several other times over the past seven years (though never in this building) and had always been happy. After this trip we won't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank amanda6500

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Collinsville, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

The pics lead you to believe this hotel is very nice. The lobby areas have been updated, but not the rooms. They are showing definite wear and need updating. I travel quite a bit and this was definitely in the class of a two star hotel. In my opinion, the only reason it was given a three star is because of the onsite restaurant. I will say my room was clean and the bed was comfortable. As for the breakfast, it was ok. They did have a good selection but things were cold and the one lady working definitely couldn't keep everything going to the 50 people or so coming and going. I would like to go back to the area, but will definitely find another hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Baseball2014
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2010

I will start off saying that according to the previous reviews I was leery about tbooking the hotel. However, I must say I was quite surprised. It is in a great location, right off of I64. We arrived early and our room was available so the lady at the reception desk allowed us to check in alittle early. She was SUPER nice!!! The room had some updated furniture and the bathroom had updated fixtures as well as the shower fixtures ect. The bed was comfortable and the AC/Heat worked fabulous. The only thing I would say that was "not perfect" was the bathroom floor. It was clean, but it is dated and old so the grout appears dirty. I guess since everything in the bathroom was updated it just made the floor not appear as nice. They also have free Wi Fi in your room so I had my laptop and they gave me a code and I was connected in no time. That was very convenient. Now for the breakfast, this is not to be missed! The ladies work so hard to make sure everyone leaves full and has everything you need to get going in the morning. They set it up in a restaurant they have at the hotel. It is such a beautiful display I thought we were in the wrong place for the "continental breakfast."
I would recommend this hotel to my friends and will stay again next time I am in the area. It was a nice stay with customer service that exceeded my expectations from ALL of the staff!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank LovetotravelRN
Clifton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

My wife and 11 year old son stayed at Point Plaza Suites from 8/14-8/21. We chose this hotel from the internet. It turned out to be a very good choice. When we arrived the hotel was packed with a wedding and family reunion but still the hotel was great! Our room was clean, the beds were fine. The sofa bed was a bit uncomfortable which is really the only negative about the room. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The complimentry breakfast was pretty good also and very convenient. The location is great. Not far from any of the major attractions. I would stay there again for sure.

Island Park, Ny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2010

It was the worst experince we had. This is not a three star hotel it is more like a two star. I do have to say my suite was large enough for six. We had come here for vacation to visit the sites if Williamsburg VA. The matteress were worn and not very comfortable. The blankets were ragged and worn and they smelled. There were nats in the room which they tried to get rid of but of no susscess. The hosekeeping did not do a great job of cleaning. They never left enough towels. When I do come back I will not stay here. There other hotels in the area which are much better.

1 Thank amgbuild
Sicklerville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

My children and I stayed here for a week during the 2010 AAU Junior Olympics. Our suite was a big disappointment, there was a dresser full of clothes apparently left by the former guest, the blankets were so ragged and stained, and the bathroom was not cleaned. I had to buy cleaner from the store and clean it myself. The desk clerk informed that my room was completely renovated with new furniture, tile flooring, bedding and carpeting that was only four months olds. YEAH RIGHT ! The carpet was seriously stained and sticky that we keep our shoes on whenever we had to walk around. The suite is just two former hotel rooms joined together (even though the ideal they are trying to portray is nice) there is a lot of improvement needed for this hotel to truely earn the three and half stars it was given. Whoever rated this hotel as three stars DID NOT STAY HERE!! BEWARE!!

1 Thank LADYZC17
BROOKLYN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

my family and I have been a couple of trips this year and by far this is the best hotel experience we've had so far. The room was very clean and roomy. The kids really enjoyed the pool so we didn't have to spend extra money to entertain them. Our room had a fridge, microwave and safe. I really enjoyed my stay there. There were plenty of towels and pillows which is unusual. The AC worked great so we stayed nice and cool. The hotel was nice, quiet and peaceful. Close to shopping and restaurants. The price was well worth it and we got a deal because we booked through Expedia. 2 thumbs up for this hotel!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family