“One inconvenience, but plenty of things to love....”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Newport News
Kingsport, Tennessee
“One inconvenience, but plenty of things to love....”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed here for three nights (11/23-11/26) while visiting family in the area for the Thanksgiving holiday. First the negative: I reserved a suite with two double beds for my husband, me and our two children. I was pleased by the Trip Advisor rankings and the fact that they had a two room suite (which allows for flexibility of putting kids to bed earlier without having to tip toe around a single room while they sleep). I cancelled my reservations at a much fancier hotel in the City Center area because I wanted a suite (this was hard because I like luxury hotels).

My husband checked us in and when we got to the room, I saw that we had a king sized bed instead of two double beds. The reception staff had for some reason changed our room (the room number was crossed out and changed on our check-in envelope from room 109 to room 202). My husband said that the receptionist told him that the sofa was a double pull-out bed, so the kids could sleep in that bed. No problem we figured (we actually love sleeping in a king). Hours later when we were getting kids ready for bed we discovered that the sofa (which was a short sofa) was not a pull out bed!

I called the front desk and they sent up a cot. Also I received a text alert from my bank citing the hotel charge and noticed it was higher than my reservation price quote. I called the front desk to tell them that I didn't think I should pay a higher rate for a king bed room when I initially reserved (and preferred) a room with two double beds. She changed the charges on the spot to an even lower rate than my reservation.

The room was spotless clean and the king bed was so comfortable. They were a tad stingy on blankets though. The cot was not one of those thin ones, but a nice comfortable twin bed that folded easily enough to get out of the way. Still, the change of room type did cause some inconvenience as my daughter ended up sleeping on the sofa (not as comfortable as a bed). Luckily she spent two of the three nights sleeping at her cousins' house anyway (otherwise I would have insisted on a room change).

As for the rest of the stay, I can't say enough nice things for the friendliness of absolutely every employee there. The restaurant staff, the cleaning staff the receptionists as well as the maintenance staff were always outgoing with smiles and greetings every time we stepped foot into the lobby or passed them by on the hallway floors. Another bonus was the free hot cocoa and latte machine in the lobby. This was a huge hit when we had the cousins come to the hotel to swim in the pool---they had hot cocoa and came up to the room to watch a Christmas movie.

I will definitely be staying at this Holiday Inn when we go back to Newport News for future family visits. This time, though, I will insist on getting the right room from the start. Since everything else was so outstanding I'm assuming the mix-up was an anomaly.

4 Thank AVogt_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Bristow
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Lobby was inviting. Check-in was easy and fast. The room was thoroughly cleaned and everything in its place. The bathroom was reasonably spacious. No free breakfast. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The doors on the ends of the building are fire exit only. If you park on the side, you'll have...
Chester, Maryland
Reviewed 16 November 2011

We came to Holiday Inn and Suites in Newport News, VA in November of 2011 after a negative experience at Omni Hotel around the corner. Although the quality is supposed to be better at Omni, that was not the case. Holiday Inn and Suites blew Omni away.

Here's what we loved:
- caring front desk manager who sent a shuttle to pick us up from the rude Omni
- polite shuttle driver
- warm atmosphere, nice lobby music
- spacious room, high ceiling with more air than stuff low ceiling rooms
- 3 choices of complimentary hot chocolate in the lobby, 12 choices of tea, coffee (regular and decaf) - as much as you want
- nice clean pool, not too hot, not too cold
- choice of firm/soft pillows on each bed
- good size fridge and microwave (perfect for families)
- DVD player in the room (another room had a cassette/DVD player, again perfect for traveling kids)

I recommend this hotel, it's nice and no stress, and have I mentioned the 15+ choices of hot drinks yet? :-)

Room Tip: They have suites, so just call and ask for details.
1 Thank HenryB12345
North Augusta
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Everything about this hotel was nice except the fact there were 4 sports teams staying there. This made for a crowded breakfast room and many young boys (baseball team) were playing in
the lobby. I would stay there again. Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the interstate.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I traveled to this hotel on business so I don't have a "family" perspective but for the business traveler I must say I was very impressed. I got bumped up to a suite which is very spacious and very well appointed inclding a fax machine and kitchenette. I believe this is a new Holiday Inn and it shows. If it has been refurbished they did a fantastic job. An Italian Restaurant/Bar is part of the property and the food was excellant. Prices for the food is typical of a higher end east coast restaurant. I stayed within Government per diem rates and a great value if you can get those prices. The hotel is adjacent to I-64 but is extremely quiet. The hotel points out it has a "no partying" policy when you check in which was another present surprise. When I come back to this area this hotel will be high on my list of choices.

Room Tip: If you can get a suite go for it.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MontyCS
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Traveled to the area to play a high school baseball showcase. The sales staff along with the hotel staff were exceptionally pleasant and accomodating. They understood the needs of our team and the parents providing high quality accomodations at a very fair rate. The on-site restaurant was a real treat. It was very convenient to the University we were palying at and to a variety of quality restaurants.

We will certainly use this wonderful hotel next year.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
USA
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I just stayed at this hotel for one night. The property is nicely kept and clean. No maintenance issues in my room. Wi-Fi and cabled Internet available in there. A plentiful selection of coffee for your in-room coffeemaker, great!

What I love most about the Holiday Inns is the beds and pillows, they guarantee for a good night's sleep.
They have a small gym and a nice pool. What I didn't like here, the pool water was not circulating so the surface was covered in foam spoats. No way I was going to take a swim in there!

This Holiday Inn has no breakfast room, even better: there's an italian restaurant in the same building which serves very good breakfast. You get a coupon for that on check-in.
The restaurant also has a bar to hang out at in the evening.

Staff was very cheerful and made me feel welcome.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business