“Great farmers market and gardening center”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Dean and Don's Farmer's Market
Ranked #19 of 21 things to do in Newport News
Reviewed June 2, 2016 via mobile

Dean and Don's is a farmer's market and gardening center. They are closed on Sundays, but open 8-5 on all other days. It is seasonal however, so it closes during the winter. The garden center has a longer season than the market. They sell Christmas trees in December and pumpkins in November. Their fruits and vegetables are usually fresher than grocery stores and prices are decent. It is kind of hit and miss as to cost comparison to grocery stores. Sometimes cheaper, often similar price, and sometimes more expensive. The workers are friendly and helpful. The garden center has a nice variety of plants and flowers. They also sell some bags of potting soil and mulch. It is worth a visit.

2  Thank Dwayne P

Reviewed May 16, 2016

Been shopping here for many years, and I have found Dean and Don's fresh food to be truly fresh. For me, Spring arrives when Dean and Don's opens. I have also found their staff helpful and pleasant. When something I expect them to have is missing, I ask and if it is back in the cooler, someone will bring it out. Cashiers always pleasant, and when I cannot locate an item, helpful to tell me where it is. I am always surprised at how little my week's worth of veggies costs.

1  Thank Sam T
Reviewed April 23, 2015 via mobile

I have experienced the same rude cashiers. No personality at all even the managers. Try and support your local businesses but they still need to respect all customers. Corn is fabulous and tomatoes. Please improve the attitudes in the Newport News location. I said I was not going to shop but I love the fresh produce. The cashiers seem like they are made to work there. Maybe it's a family things.

3  Thank ReginaW522
Reviewed August 28, 2014

The best farmer's market in the area. I always find fresh fruits and vegetables at reasonable prices that beat the heck out of the grocery stores.

1  Thank Mike K