“1st and last visit”

Soya Sushi Bar and Hibachi
Ranked #338 of 534 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed April 24, 2016 via mobile

Saw this place on Groupon, decided I would purchase the Groupon and check it out. It sat in my groupons for about a month before I got around to using it. It's 8:00 Sunday night, I'm bowling with friends, we're talking about sushi. I looked up what time Soya closes. The Groupon said they're open from 5:00-9:30 on Sunday.
We left bowling and got to soya at about 8:30, the sign on the door says they're open till 10:00pm on Sunday's. We walked in, there were 2 female employees sitting down at a table laid out with food.
One of the women stood up and said "we're closed"........
I said that's not what the door says....
She responded "we're not open"....
I said "it's 8:30, your door is unlocked and we're inside, how are you closed?"
She said
"Uh, um, uh, we're out of rice"
In a nutshell, I'm getting refunded for this groupon, and making sure to post this review on every bit of social media possible so everyone knows not to waste their money on their groupon or their time to drive over there.

Date of visit: April 2016
1  Thank Clayton M

Reviewed January 5, 2016

Did take out; was fast and very tasty.
I got the chicken yakisoba and a philly roll.
Very filling and I liked the veggies they put in the yakisoba.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed September 18, 2015 via mobile

Even with a groupon this place is soooo not worth it... Quality of sashimi is awful... I could have done better at home with the Steak for hibachi... Overall bad experience will never return

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed July 30, 2015 via mobile

Despite the atmosphere of being very low-key and what appeared to be the owners wife having a bad life, the food was very fresh and delicious. Part of our dining experience is the atmosphere, the attitude of people can affect our experience and this is one of those cases. I would go back simply because I enjoyed the crabmeat and spicy tuna roll and the other items in my Bento box but I would be mentally prepared to endure the wait staff's negative and down cast vibe.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed April 21, 2015 via mobile

We love Soya. It is one of our favorite restaurants. The sushi is amazing; Sammy's Special is my favorite. My sons really like the Hibachi as well as the sushi

Date of visit: April 2015