“Great sushi!”

Sushi Yoma Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #91 of 534 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed March 28, 2017

First, the address for this restaurant is different than what's listed. It looked like a newly opened location. The folks working were extremely attentive and friendly. Started to order two sushi rolls and was informed of a way to get two rolls while saving money and getting more food. The sushi was expertly made and didn't take an eternity to receive.

I'm here for a short trip and will definitely be back to try more sushi!

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed August 31, 2016

I started with the ginger salad and miso...both were average. My sashimi dinner was pretty decent overall and reasonably fresh. I had the sashimi dinner, while my co-workers had some specialty sushi rolls, of which I tried several pieces and they were rather bland overall. My co-worker shared the bland opinion.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed December 9, 2015

I had the chirashi and the fish was excellent. Large pieces of pristine meat. Superb. Great salad, and beer.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed September 7, 2015 via mobile

Not only does Sushi Yama have great sushi, but they have fantastic authentic ramen! This place is a hidden gem in Newport News.

Date of visit: October 2014
Reviewed May 12, 2015 via mobile

I have eaten in Sushi Bars across the country for 25+ years. I have eaten here a couple thousand times since its opening. Sushi Yama is by far the best Sushi Bar in Hampton Roads! Everything awesome and fresh. Presentation always beautiful. Misco Soup is awesome. I can just eat the rice as it's taste is awesome too.

Small place tucked behind an iHop restaurant but well worth the find.