“Great Location, Good Food, Limited Sides...”

Crab Shack Seafood Restaurant on the James
Ranked #17 of 534 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

My daughter, sister, and I visited this restaurant the first Saturday in August around 2:00 p.m. The was plenty of outdoor (covered) seating available, and service was quick. Our food arrived fresh. I ordered lightly blackened salmon with a Greek salad ($1.25 upcharge) and a baked potaote. My daughter and sister both ordered a fish sandwich with fries and a 1/2 pound steamed shrimp.

The only disappointment was the limited sides. I would’ve liked more options than fries, baked potatoes, side salad, and coke slaw. Steamed broccoli, corn on the cob, etc. would’ve been nice potions. Even still, our server was efficient and very nice. We enjoyed watching the beach goers bask in the sun or fish in the small sandy area.

I would return to this restaurant.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

This lovely place is located on a pier on the James River next to the bridge. Sit in the outer (porch) part where you can enjoy the light and traffic on the river. The menu offers many things, but of course you want seafood. I started with she crab soup - the only disappointment. No sherry, and no seasoning that i could detect. But the rest of the meal made up for it. I ordered the bay scallops and my friend the soft shell crabs. We each had a salad and baked potato for our sides. The salad was nothing special, but the potato huge, nicely baked, smothered in butter and sour cream. I was too full to eat much of it, though, after polishing off my scallops - beautiful and juicy - i believe there were 12 of them! They were cooked with grilled green bell pepper and both white and red onions. My friend got two large crabs that she said had the ideal, light amount of breading. The service was excellent and the staff was accommodating to me needing to pay quickly so we could get out to our car before a storm hit.

Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

I used to be excited whenever my family suggested going to the Crab Shack for dinner. Now I find myself consistently disappointed in the food. In December when we went, I thought maybe I had just ordered something I didn’t like. When I returned tonight, I was disappointed all over again as the food was “fine,” but not what I had hoped. Sorry, I just can’t rave about this place anymore.
Scenery is great; service was good. Food was adequate. There is a nice beach to walk on after dinner, though. The hostess just seemed confused as she was trying to seat people. I almost took over. That was a bit frustrating.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

This was honestly the worst seafood I have ever rated at a restaurant. They recommended the crab dip and it was about 80% cream cheese with almost no flavor or seasoning. I have the seafood platter and again just barely any flavor/seasoning. Really just not good food. The location on the water is beautiful.

Reviewed July 25, 2018

The restaurant was very crowed when we arrived at 7:00 PM and the wait was about 45 minutes. Once we were seated the service was fine and the food good. This was the third or fourth time we have eaten there.