“Great time”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bacharach
Jugendherberge Burg Stahleck
Reviewed 22 March 2012

During May, so the weather was beautiful. Was here with a large group of friends stayed 3 nights. Its a Hostel type set up , the food is adequate, the staff great. Its a nice walk to the town down on the river. Yes I would stay here anytime. ( I slept in one of the larger rooms with apx 10 people , in bunk beds, so , I do not know what one of the private rooms are like ) I really do not remember much out side noise coming into my room .

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 December 2011

And it just happened to be a castle :) - Stayed here the beginning of November so it looked as if we had just missed some sort of harvest festival. Having it being on a hill gave access to great views of the Rhine. The trails around the castle were superb for little hikes or maybe even sightseeing via horseback. The hostel experience itself was exceptional if not typically expected. Rounded up to a smooth stay over the quaint little town below.
Whoever formulated the idea of converting an old castle into a hostel is a genius. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone, especially during the summertime. Would I ever visit again? Maybe, maybe not. I would consider this place again if I ever just happen to be in the area.

Room Tip: Book ahead of time to get the private rooms
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BalloonSmuggler
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed here in July 2011 for 2 nights, because we had promised my young daughter that we'd stay in a castle. The kids had a blast exploring the castle when we first got there. There was a bit of confusion over our reservation when we first arrived, but I had brought a printout of our email confirmation, and it was quickly resolved. We ended up with a tower room with 5 sets of bunk beds, a bit big for the 4 of us, but the kids loved being in the tower in a round room. It's spartan, but they didn't seem to mind. We had a view of the Rhine from our room and did have our own bathroom. It's a good hike up there, but doable. I wouldn't do it with luggage, though. We called a taxi from the train station, only 8.50 euro. We took another path up our last day that takes you by the old town towers.
The breakfast buffet is huge, and had the usual German hard rolls/cold cuts/cheese options, but also fresh fruit, yogurt, and muesli. We also opted to eat in the cafeteria for dinner. The price was very reasonable, you can bring your own wine or beer or purchase some there. The food was slightly above normal cafeteria food, but it was kid-friendly.
The courtyard is nice with a beautiful view of the Rhine, good place to unwind with a beer after a long day sightseeing. There's a kid play room by reception, so we let the kids go in there for a bit while we took a break in the courtyard.
The only con was that the mattresses were very hard, so much so that my arms would fall asleep regardless of what position I was in.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mrkmom
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Amazing! Staying in a castle on the Rhine was one of the most memorable experiences of my trip.it is a while since I have stayed in a hostel sonwas a little nervous but this was Popular with families and the young topdexk group that came in were quiet. we got a private room with a fab view of the Rhine! Breakfast was excellent and the staff very helpful. Cleaner than many hotels hot showers though you have to share. The price is unbelievAble value considering you are in a castle. I reccommend this wholehearted even though I'm in my thirties and backpacking days are behind me it's ome of the best hostels in the world

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank holidaygirlaus
Reviewed 14 December 2010

I have stayed at the castle in Bacharach twice now, and both times were great. I would recommend it to anyone who is used to staying in Hostels. It is good basic accommodation with the flair of a 900 year castle thrown in. It is half way up the Rhine bank so if you are walking it will take some time to get there, but worth it - and worth the view too! The town below is very nice too, with some nice pubs and a bakery or two. When I was a teenager my brother and I dove in the Rhine here and went swimming - watch the current though!! Lots of fun. I have lots of memories from here - hope you enjoy it too!

1  Thank Dave S
Reviewed 17 October 2010

This was a great experience. We thought we had a double room with bath. When we got there that was not the case. We just chalked it up to misunderstandings because of language differences. In that situation you can make a stink or just shrug and go with the flow. We had a room with 2 twin beds and bunk beds. Bathroom was down the hall and shower further down the hall. The staff was friendly and helpful and breakfast good. We arrived late and they still had the café open so we could get a meal-we really appreciated this and the pizza and burger were pretty good. They also have a great wine selection. You purchase a nice clay cup for your first bottle for 3 euro. (You can keep the cup or return it for your money back-I was heartbroken when I broke my cup in Italy) There will be lots of young people there on trips with their teachers. They were pretty excited and did run around the castle a bit-all I could think was that if I was on a class trip to a castle I would be pretty excited too. Our room was really quiet and the kids went to bed around 10 so I did not find them a problem at all. The walk up to the castle was about 15 minutes of stairs, some of them fairly steep. This was the easy path that goes up beside the church. It looks like some work is being done to the more challenging path. We are in our 50’s and made it up with our packs with only a small amount of huffing and puffing. It is a beautiful walk, which takes in a ruined church that is now a Jewish memorial and a lovely view of the vineyards and town. Beautiful area and beautiful place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paulamac
Reviewed 6 October 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights on a 2 month family holiday through Europe. This place was worthwhile because of the cost and we loved the novelty of staying in a castle. However it is a hostel, so the rooms do not match the exterior. We had a 6 bed room to ourselves with our own bathroom and everything was clean, but very very basic. We opted for half board so had our breakfast and dinner included. Again very basic. There were not alot of options to choose from and even fresh fruit seemed to be lacking. The other issue is as several people have mentioned is during school holidays there are an enormous amount of young children. The hostel actually seems to predominantly cater for them. The best part of this place though is the terrace. It was absolutely lovely to sit in the late evening with a cup of the local white wine and gaze at the view over the Rhine.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Bustlin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bacharach
5.3 km away
8.5 km away
Burg Reichenstein
Burg Reichenstein
#1 of 1 in Trechtingshausen

Been to Jugendherberge Burg Stahleck? Share your experiences!