See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 11, 2017

Marianna and her family really took the care in welcoming my mom and I to their lovely b&b. Marianna had always made sure that we had everything we needed and were tended to from the moment we walked in the doors. There is an amazing garden where they grew their own fruits, vegetables and flowers. We had amazing breakfasts there with homemade ingredients and fresh fruit. That was often the highlight of our day already and also waking up to the ocean view of the apartment that we were staying in. We were in such awe with the views and the garden that we had to walk through to get to our apartment. I was sick one evening and Marianna was very concerned and made sure that I had tea to make me feel better. Marlene made the breakfast and also did the cleaning. She was also key in making our stay so enjoyable as well. The B&B is spotless and tastefully decorated. You are about a 5-10 minute walk to the harbour and shops. We took the bus and they would come every 10 minutes or so, a very practical and cost effective way of getting around the island. I highly recommend staying at Pensione Matarese and am talking to about it with my friends and family to go there. We didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2016

The place is very welcoming! The owners go out of their way to be helpful and to help arrange visits and plans. The garden is a garden of Heaven! Chapeau to the owners for keeping it in such a manicured state. Really impressive.
The location is very good (just a short, but steep, walk to downtown Casamicciola). Rooms are simple, but very functional. Mine (n. 4) had a view on the internal garden, was very sunny, offered a very good mattress and perfectly working AC and all other facilities. The bathroom is a bit small, but being used to sailing this was definitely not an issue.
... And we were also treated to a lovely home cooked dinner, featuring fresh fish :)

Room Tip: Self-catering apartments (in the garden) are probably best for a family or for whoever is looking for more privacy.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

My daughter of 7 and I stayed in this hotel in June 2014. Initially we had booked another hotel, but decided to move to Hotel Matarese because of the better location. If you arrive at Casamocciola Porto in Ischia, then it's just a 10 minute walk uphill. It turned out that it was worth moving hotels not only because of the location. The hotel is run by a family and has a warm family atmosphere, just what you need while travelling with a child. They have their own herb garden, grow lemons and make their own jam. There is a nice garden in the hotel where one can relax with a book. The staff, including the hotel maid, are very friendly and helpful. The hotel also arranges for a discount for the Castiglione Thermal Park. The room was neat and tidy. I'll definitely recommend this
hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Anna K
MariannaGoller, Proprietario at Hotel Matarese, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2014

Dear Anna,

thanks for your review!
We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us, let me invite you again in Ischia for your next holidays, it would be a pleasure to have you in our house again!
Best Regards,

Marianna Goller
Titolare

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel has several APT for rent , immersed into the green , with an outstanding view of the Port of Casamicciola . We had great time picking grapes, figs , tomatoes, eggplant and basil for our lunch and dinner.
Marianna and her family runs the hotel few hundred meters down the stairs , they were incredibly helpful and affectionate. Perfect for a family or a group of friends.

Room Tip: Pick the last APT on the top of the stairs for peace and quiet
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I invited my best friend and her family from Rome to Ishia in Aug/2012 and needed to book 2 rooms. After reading the reviews and getting a good rate for 2 rooms in Ischia I decided to to stay at Hotel Casa Mazzella. This is a family run bed and breakfast that is located on a steep hill. It is a 10 minute walk to the town, where the beach and Porto Ischia are located as well as the restaurants and shops. It wasn't a problem for me but for those who do not wish to walk up the hill to get to the hotel, there are several public buses that stop in front of the B&B. Our rooms were very comfortable and clean, (flat screen tv, a/c) and a terrace with a beautiful view of the sea. Breakfast consisted of coffee, juice, homemade bread and jam and it is served outside in the lovely garden where you can walk through and check out the lemon trees and beautiful views of the seaside. The owners daughter who runs the B&B was very helpful and recommended many great restaurants in Ischia and also offered discounts to several thermal spas in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends