New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Charming family spot just off the main square” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gallo Nero

Gallo Nero
Reserve with
Gallo Nero is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$27 - US$54
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our LocalFind a quiet and discreet environment where you will be our noble guests were welcomed with warmth and cordiality by Francesco, Lisa, Lucia, Saro and grandmother Du our family that manages Restaurant since 1984. A place where you will remain in the heart genuine taste of meat cooked on selected high-quality as well as grilled cheese and grilled seasonal vegetables, the typical fettunta seasoned with extra virgin olive oil DOP, pasta handmade and much more. All accompanied by a good glass of Chianti Classico. The KitchenPrepare the dough of eggs and flour kneaded each day and cut as before, with the same love of our grandmothers.Stuffed pasta, tagliatelle and pappardelle are topped with innovative sauces strictly homemade.EmbersThe grilled meat, "the butt" that you eat in our wide variety of dishes are carefully chosen and bought daily from local butchers. The scent of wood, the time cooking carefully studied and the ability to add it to cheeses and vegetables of choice will make your seconds dishes a real experience of flavors. And to finish with a flourish, tasty homemade cakes for leaving good memory of a wonderful evening.Il Nostro Locale Troverete un ambiente tranquillo e riservato dove sarete nostri ospiti di riguardo, accolti con calore e cordialità da Francesco, Lisa, Lucia, Saro e la nonna Du la nostra famiglia che gestisce il Ristorante dal 1984. Un locale dove Vi rimarranno nel cuore i sapori genuini delle carni selezionate di alta qualità cotte sulla brace oltre a formaggi e verdure di stagione grigliate, la tipica fettunta condita con olio extravergine d’oliva D.O.P, la pasta fatta a mano e molto altro. Il tutto accompagnato da un buon bicchiere di vino Chianti Classico. La CucinaPrepariamo la pasta d’Uova e di farina impastata ogni giorno e tagliata come un tempo, con lo stesso amore delle nostre nonne. Paste ripiene, tagliatelle e pappardelle sono condite con innovativi sughi rigorosamente fatti in casa. La BraceLe carni alla griglia, "la Ciccia" che voi mangerete nella nostra ampia varietà di piatti, sono scelte con cura e comprate giornalmente da macellerie locali. Il profumo della legna, il tempo di cottura attentamente studiato e la possibilità di unirlo a formaggi e verdure di prima scelta faranno dei vostri secondi piatti una vera e propria esperienza di sapori. E per finire in bellezza, gustosi dolci fatti in casa per lasciarvi il buon ricordo di una splendida serata.
New York City, New York
“Charming family spot just off the main square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

This enoteca has been in the same family for 28 years. The "mother/son" duo gave a real sense of pride in what they were doing. The food was excellent, fresh pastas and a lovely cheese plate with a fabulous pear jam. Enjoy!

• Visited October 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Nice, just nice.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

We came back to Gallo Nero to see what the great reviews are all about. It was fine, just an average Italian trattoria. Nothing more. Regular dishes, made without special attention, and served by a friendly staff. Just cannot see what the rave is all about. You can do better in Greve.

Visited October 2011
Dublin
“Be warned!! Terrible experience, Left alone for over and hour!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

I've been to Italy about 6 times now and have eaten in many restaurants, trattoria etc where meals have varied from adequate to quite excellent, I have to say however that my experience in Gallo Nero was my worst dining experience so far.

Myself and my Girlfriend arrived at Gallo Nero at 8pm on Wednesday the 28th of October having spent the day driving from Pisa. We were driving onto Florence after the meal so we decided not to order any starters or anti-pasta but go straight to main course to save on time and not over eat. How wrong could we have been!

I ordered grilled rabbit which was one of the specials that day and my Girlfriend ordered steak. I ordered a side dish of chips and vegetables for us to share also. I am aware that eating in Italian restaurants can be a slower experience than in many other countries but I have to say that it was immensely frustrating to not receive any food bar a plate of dry bread for over an hour!!! No member of staff approached us at any time to explain why were left waiting so long. When they eventually brought us our Rabbit and Steak the waitress made a weak excuse about the delay mumbling there was a problem with the meat. This wasnt an adequate explanation but to be honest I was so hungry at that stage I didn't question it further.

Our grilled vegetables arrived 5 minutes later but we never received our chips though they weren't on our bill after the meal. I had repeated myself to the waitress and pointed to what I was ordering so I had presumed she had taken everything down correctly, especially as she appeared to have good english. My Girlfriend's steak was adequate but my grilled rabbit was almost inedible. It hadn't been de boned as I'd expected and so was very difficult to eat as the tiny little bones were difficult to cut around. I accidentally swallowed one at one stage which felt like it cut me on the way down but fortunately the discomfort resolved after 2 hours.

I appreciate that in a restarant not everyone has the same experience. A North American couple were seated at a table alongside us only minutes after we sat down and they seemed very happy with the 2 courses that they recieved before we got any food. They received a mixed plater for starters and 2 pasta dishes to follow. Thay had received both these courses before our inadequate meat dishes appeared. This couple appeared to have had the right idea.

The waiting staff must have known we would be faced with an overly excessive wait for our food and should have warned us of this when we ordered, we'd have been happy to match the neighbouring couples order had we known. Our frustration was made all the more extreme looking at the table beside us receiving their 2 courses and appearing to enjoy their food. Meanwhile no restaurant staff were approaching our table.

We left Gallo Nero after we'd finished eating (or in my case as much that I could de bone), without coffee or dessert as we were both very dissatisfied by the whole experience. Our bill came to approximately €52 for a very bad and disappointing experience.

I hasten to add that we ate many much more satisfactory meals over the following few days in Italy, with most of them being fantastic and I hope I never have to repeat such an unsatisfactory eating experience ever again.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank emf_001
duilia, Direttore at Gallo Nero, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Hello,

I am Lucia Piccini, the director of Ristorante Gallo Nero, my doughter Lisa is writing for me because I don't speak english. I remember you and what happened with the service. I would like to give you our pubblic apologies. What you written on your review is all true. I am very sorry but I understood the situation too late and we could not be able to change the events. I tried to remedy and I sent a girl to offer to you some dessert, coffees or what you prefered in that moment but you was too angry to accept (and it is understandable). About the rabbit, we are sorry but the recepie that we do is this and usually people appreciates, the bones of the rabbit are small and really close each other. I want to tell you that we talk about this for two days at our restaurant and everybody was really sad about this. Unfortunately now is too late and I can just give to you again our apologies (Maybe it is not enough). I want to tell you that usually we give a better service and I wish that in the future this will never happen again. I hope that you will can give to us another chance.

Best Regardes

Lucia Piccini
Boston, Massachusetts
“Food so good, we went back again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

Located just outside the Piazza Matteotti, Gallo Nero was one of the best restaurants we found. Service at this restaurant was friendly and well timed. On our first visit, we split a veal dish with porcini mushrooms. Yum! On our second visit, we treated ourselves to a Florentine steak that was cooked to perfection (if you llike it rare) and sliced tableside. Bottles of wine were reasonably priced and were available for purchase to take with you.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank nanb189
southern Germany
“Good, but can´t rave...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

We went on a Sunday evening and yes, staff is very friendly and welcoming.
We had a side salad and bruschetta as starters and than the homemade pasta.
It was good and tasty. We enjoyed the dessert,too. All in all a good meal but many
restaurants in Italy offer the same quality.

• Visited September 2011