We spent one week at the Riu Palace, returning on the 13th of June. The hotel as such is quite grand, all the communal areas are spacious, clean and certainly welcoming. The guests are German, followed by British and Dutch, majority of people are over 50 (which is great if you're not a fan of screaming children and teenagers when you're on holiday).
Both, the bedroom and bathroom were large and clean. Unfortunately, the walls of our room seemed incredibly thin as we could hear people in the rooms next to us most of the time (walking, talking, using the bathroom), which is not great before 8 am and after 10 pm. I wouldn't say that the mattress and pillows were especially comfortable either. A double bed was formed by pushing two single beds together, moving apart as soon as you got too close to the middle.
The aircon didn't work as the wires were pulled out from the wall.
Luckily, we didn't need it as the weather that week was overcast all week long. We only had one full day of sun and everybody tried to make the most of it. It was clear that the hotel doesn't have enough sun beds for occasion like this when everyone wants to be by the pool. The pool attendants didn't remove any towels from sunbeds (despite it being Riu policy) where people had placed them early in the morning but had still not made use of them by midday. This, naturally resulted in many angry people complaining to the reception. In the end, the pool attendants brought some sun beds from the indoor pool area and also started to hand out some sun beds which we slightly damaged but could still do.
The food in the hotel was good, plenty of choice and many local dishes.
The dinner times are a bit awkward - the first sitting is from 6:30 - 8:00 pm, the second one from 8:30 - 10:00. Not much to do after dinner (unless you enjoy the provided evening entertainment). Cocktails from the bar were good, prices are ok although it can begin to add up after a week or so.
Couple of tips and observations:
- We paid extra 50 GBP to Thomson to get a room with full or partial sea view. Don't bother. This was a complete waste of money, at least 90% of the rooms in this hotel will provide you with some kind of sea view (you would have to be very unlucky to get one of the handful of rooms facing the road opposite the hotel). Despite paying this amount, we could only see the ocean if we stood on our tiptoes at the furthest end of our balcony, which was definitely not worth it.
- Unless you want to dry your hair using one of the ancient boxes on the wall with a hose attached to it dispersing hot air (this hose overheats very quickly and it's impossible to hold once it does), bring your own hairdryer.
- You have to pay to use the safe in your room - it's around 20 EUR per week.
- Only shop in Spar near the hotel if absolutely necessary as it is rather overpriced. 1.5 litre bottle of water there costs nearly 2 EUR.
You can get a five litre bottle in the supermarket in Anadia shopping centre in Funchal (opposite the marina) for 80 cents. The hotel and local bus stops are nearby, which makes it easy to get your purchases back to the hotel.
- The back, shoulders and head massage in the hotel's spa was actually very good, we tried it twice and can't complain. 30 mins for 36 EUR was a good value, and the staff were very professional and friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located opposite the oceanfront promenade of Canico de Baixo. 8-Storey building. 10 M to the sea; access to the ocean across a walkway. 13 Km from Funchal (complimentary shuttle service from the hotel; weekdays and Saturdays. Not available on public holidays). 2 Km from the city centre. 2 Km from various shops. 10 Km from the airport. 50 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Madeira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Madeira Canico
- Hotel Riu Palace Madeira Canico, Portugal