“Great downtown location and very good stay”

Norfolk Waterside Marriott
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott on May 26, 2012. We used a free night certificate for a category 1-4 hotel. We are Platinum category for the Marriott Rewards program, so we were able to get a waterfront corner room on the 23rd floor. The view was wonderful. As with most downtown hotels of any brand, the rooms are not very large, and the bathroom facilities are small. The room was very clean and neat, and we really enjoyed our stay. The view at night, with all the city and harbor lights, was amazing. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. We ate at Shula’s 347 Grill in the hotel.

We also took the American Rover (a schooner sailing ship) on the Sunset sail. The docks are a two block walk from the Marriott. This was a great experience and would highly recommend it. Checkout the reviews on Tripadvisor. There is also a Spirit of Norfolk cruise available, but we did not take it.

The Nautilus center is a two block walk from the hotel, and this is where the battleship USS Wisconsin is located. There are many other attractions at this center. Downtown Norfolk in that area is great to walk around. We also ate lunch at a nearby local eatery named Jack Quinn (it does not have air conditioning). They had big, noisy fans running, so it is hard to talk. We also went to the Chrysler museum, well known for its glass and other collections.

Be aware that when you arrive at the hotel there is only enough room to part 8-9 cars at the hotel entrance for check-in. We had to drive around the block several times to get a place to park for check-in. Parking is in an 8-9 story parking garage across the street, and there is a walkway from the third floor of the garage to the third floor of the hotel. Therefore, if possible, try to park on the third level. If you don’t take your car back out of the garage, the parking is $12 for 24 hours (pay it when you exist the garage), or they charge by the hour if you take your car in and out. When you enter the hotel from the walkway you will need to turn left for a few steps, then turn right and cut across a large room to find the elevators located in a small hallway on the left, or, you can turn right and take the escalators to the first floor. When we checked-out, we first took everything to the car, then went back to check-out. This is by far, the easiest way to do it if the hotel is busy, and it was very busy while we were there.

Overall, we had a very good stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MB_and_Dave
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards member and we are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott. As you saw during your visit, we are very fortunate to be centrally located within walking distance of the parks, museums, waterfront, shopping and restaurants. This not only provides a beautiful view of downtown but also makes for a more pleasurable and convenient stay.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

Stayed here for a disaster response conference. The front desk staff were just terrific, and I found the same general good vibe throughout the hotel, from bellboys to banquet staff. My corner room was very well decorated and included a comfortable desk, and a cute and comfortable chair and ottoman.

I ordered an amazing crab cake dinner from Shula's via room service one night. Just terrific, and I appreciate that there were no hefty surcharges imposed on the delivery as there are in some hotels.

I encountered a few problems, which is why this hotel does not earn an "excellent" rating. First, the banquet food itself was just awful...boring seasonings, boring presentation. I am sure this conference didn't order the best, but still, a chef with a little imagination should be able to do better even with budget food. Secondly, I had to ask somebody (meaning, I had to stand in a long line) for a city map so I didn't get lost walking around. Couldn't these be in a display rack at the front desk? Finally, I could not get internet service on the fifth floor. According to the tech support I phoned (twice! And they are in Montreal!!) it had something to do with the fifth floor being in a dead zone between the conference floors below and hotel rooms above. At any rate, the hotel tried to compensate for the problem with some extra Rewards points, but I strongly suggest that anybody trying to get work accomplished in your room ask for a higher floor until this hotel addresses the problem of inadequate routers.

Despite these issues, this is a nice upper-end hotel and the terrific staff made up for a lot of the inconveniences.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you encountered, Your comments have been shared with all of the departments in order to better serve all of our guests. We are glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy our wonderful crabcakes from our restaurant Shula's 347 Grill.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

Very nice lobby, excellent conference facilities, well kept rooms, nicely equipped gym, great indoor pool with excellent hot tubs (yes, multiple open air hot tubs with a view of the harbor!). My only complaint would be that the elevators were a little slow to respond, but that is very minor. I will stay here again when in Norfolk!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank crmunson98

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay. We are glad that you had the time to enjoy some of the wonderful amenities we can offer to all of our guests. With an upcoming renovation of the guest's rooms in the near future, we are always looking for ways to improve the stay of each and every one of our guests.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

Time got the best of me and in the day of saving money, I was able to book this hotel through Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" for $100. I really needed a hotel in downtown Norfolk for a graduation I planned on attending. For the price, I am still wondering how in the world did I get this view? We were placed on the ninth floor in an odd-numbered room with a slightly obstructed (but who cares!!!) view of the Norfolk waterside.

Having been to Norfolk, only once for the African American Fest, I had never really gotten a chance to see the actual beauty of the waterfront park. The fest was in full swing, people, vendors, etc were everywhere and Waterside Drive was closed. So, to see the area in its splendor and be able to walk around was very nice.

Check in was a breeze, shout out to George and Ryan who took care of me. I utilized parking garage for $12/day compared to valet which is $26. I parked on the 3rd floor and walked across the breezeway straight into the conference section of the hotel and proceeded to my hotel room. Never an issue. The commode in the room was extremely loud when flushed and the shower, although nice with great pressure gave off some interesting noises upon its first use. When I called maintenance, they came immediately to review and assisted some what. I walked three blocks to the local mall to have dinner at Max and Erma's and walked back. The area is pleasant and I felt safe. After having stayed at the Sheraton, across the street and now here, I actually prefer the Marriott better. Although my one complaint is check-out day will give you a headache because the elevators get extremely full--fast. I had to catch one going up in order to go down. Other than that, check out was a breeze!

I hope you find this review helpful.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms above 9th floor provide (although slightly obstructed view) of Norfolk waterfront
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. Even though you booked through a discounted website, you still are a very important guest to us. That is why you got the fabulous view and were so well taken care of by George and Ryan. So the next time you travel south on 95 for graduation of Afram Fest, please come and see us again.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

I have stayed in several hotels lately and this one is the best I've stayed in. The staff is super friendly and so helpful! The beds are comfortable and the rooms really clean! It's centrally located and within walking distance to several restaurants and Center Mall. I would stay here again! The only complaint I have is the breakfast buffet. For the price it is lacking in quality items and once it was out of most items and it took 20 minutes for a simple omelette to be made by a harried cook. There were plenty of empty tables but it took the hostess 10 minutes to seat me since they were short a bus person. Help out why don't you! Other than that I was quite pleased with my stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tafferdills
thitt, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you experienced in the restaurant. Your comments have been shared with our staff so that we may better serve our guest. From your reviews, you visit Norfolk at least once a year. We hope the next time you are in town, that you will come see us again.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

I came to Norfolk for a business convention last minute. It was being held at this hotel. When I saw that the convention rates were no longer available, I looked at regular rates. I found that they "romantic package" was cheaper than the standard package. So, I booked it. I didn't care about the extras, just the cost reduction in room price. In the meantime, I got a beautiful room with a view, a bottle of champagne (which I was prepared to throw down the drain, but was quite good. Darn it, hic.) And 5 fabulous chocolate covered strawberries. I was going to check out Shula's for dinner, but I'm full.

I like the hotel. Yes, it's dated. They still have those mirrored folding doors on the closets. But they have flat screen tv and the room smell very clean and fresh. The vibe of the hotel is traditional and the staff are good.

I recently stayed at an Aloft that was "new", but poorly maintained. Give me a well maintained hotel anyday. I would recommend this to anyone traveling in the Norfolk area.... And if you can get the champagne and strawberries.... Bonus!

Stayed: May 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent stay. As you found out with our romance package, we are always running specials with discounted room rates for our guests. There is a room renovation scheduled by the year end to help with the dated look of the rooms. It may not always be chocolate dipped strawberries and champagne, but we are always trying to give our guests the best value for their dollar.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

Recently stayed a couple of nights at the Norfolk Marriott Waterside in Downtown Norfolk, VA. The room was comfortable and adeqate for my needs. Stayed on the 21st floor of the property and I would recomend a high floor for the views surrounding the hotel.

The bed was comfortable and the room was clean including the bathroom and the shower areas. The hotel itself is not a typical Marriott style in the lobby as the lobby of this property seems more traditional and old fashioned. High back chairs, a tapestry on the wall large chandelier and dark woods round out the traditional feel.

The hotel is located across the street from the waterside seperated by Waterside Drive. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance and the area is is safe by all accounts in regards to walking at night.

The hotel bar is very nice and as the lobby is paneled in dark woods with a fireplace and nice sofas and high back chairs. Overall this is a comfortable, affordable , pleasant and idealy located hotel. I would recomend the property.

Room Tip: Stay high... The views out of any direction are nice, but especially so on the harborside.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Kevin S

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. From your reviews, we can see that you are a seasoned traveler and we are glad that we could provide you with a "comfortable, affordable, pleasant and ideally located hotel."

Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
0.2 km away
27.9 km away
Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront
#13 of 109 in Virginia Beach

Been to Norfolk Waterside Marriott? Share your experiences!