“Average stay”

Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Norfolk
Virginia
“Average stay”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We were in town for a weekend fundraiser and had low group room rates so can't complain too much. $8 self parking was such a hike that we decided to go with $22 valet service. The valets were great - terrific customer service all weekend. Front desk clerk at check-in was unfriendly and blunt. Next days clerk was better. Twice had to have keys reset for room entry. Rooms were small but very clean and were everything we needed. Linens were very nice. Construction was going on outside but the noise wasn't really that noticeable, even though our room faced that side. Had breakfast one morning but would not eat there again. After waiting for server finally had to go ask for coffee and it was terrible!! Eggs cooked incorrectly, corned beef hash smelled bad, forgot my toast. In general, the restaurant has the feel of a failed restaurant that no one cares about. The view from the restaurant is incredible, though, so its a shame.

There are several conversation areas in the lobby that are very nice, including several computer stations.

All in all, I would definitely stay there again if I was going to be downtown for leisure.

Room Tip: Can ask for harbor view rooms but really, without balconies, what difference does it make?
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your review with us, as we highly value our guests and the feedback that we receive. Though we appreciate your kind words about our valet team, we regret that you did not experience the same terrific customer service throughout your visit. We regret any inconveniences that you encountered during breakfast, as it seems we missed many opportunities to impress you. We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback and can assure you that your comments will be shared with our entire restaurant staff. Thank you for mentioning our harbor view rooms, as the views from our guest rooms are truly breathtaking. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Rotterdam
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here mid february 2012 for 2 nights. On arrival they upgraded my room to a room with harbor view since I am a gold member. The heater in the room was making a lot of noise so I decided to call guest service to make a complaint. They promised to send the engineer to the room. After 15 minutes he still was not there. Wanted to turn on the TV while waiting but the remote control was gone. Called guest service again. They promised to send the engineer to the room. So in total I waited for 30 minutes and still the engineer had not come. So I packed my luggage and went to the front desk. The guy and the front desk was very correct and assigned me in a corner room (no noise of heater and with remote control). He apologized and rewarded an extra 500 points to my account.

No water and cleaning tissues at the fitness center....

Next day they forgot to clean my room.....

Positive point is that valet parking is free for gold + platinum members. Overall the hotel is nothing special.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DUTCHRAY
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
We appreciate your loyalty as a Gold Preferred Guest and regret any inconveniences that you encountered during your visit with us. Understandably, you were frustrated with the noise disturbances from the heater and your patience throughout this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you for sharing these concerns, as it helps determine which areas may require our immediate attention. Your comments will be shared with our housekeeping staff to ensure that all rooms are at their best for our guests. Thank you for your review. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I travel for work on a weekly basis, so I know hotels. I am generally a Marriott person, but all my coworkers were staying Sheraton, so for convenience I did as well. I have Gold status at Sheraton, so I have obviously stayed with this chain semi-frequently over the past year.

Imagine my surprise when I was told upon check in that Gold members no longer had access to the club lounge. This is more a gripe with SPGs new policy than this particular hotel, but it's still annoying. Only after telling the lady that checked me in that if I had known there was no club access, I would have stayed across the street at the Marriott, did they "allow" me to have access to the lounge. Except my card is only programmed for the lounge, not the elevator to get up to the 10th floor. So if I want to go to the lounge I have to get off the elevator walk all the way to the end of the hall and take the stairs up. I have asked multiple times for my keys to be reprogrammed and they have yet to get it right. For someone who is staying almost two weeks straight this is more than a slight annoyance. Even going through all the trouble, the lounge is weak at best as far as amenities go.

I ate breakfast in the restaurant one day, and let me tell you, that will not be happening again. Runny eggs, soapy tasting bacon and servers that all but disappeared for the entirety of my meal left me less than impressed. I can't speak for the evening meals or drinks because I haven't worked up the nerve to try it after the breakfast I had.

The gym is average. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as hotel gyms go. The pool was full of detritus, which I suppose is fine for February, but it was really nasty looking. If you're not going to maintain the pool, why keep it open through the winter months?

There is no wireless internet in this hotel!!! What hotel doesn't have wireless internet anymore, even if you have to pay for it?! The only place there is wireless is in the lobby and lounge. Everything else is wired. SO annoying.

The parking if you want to self-park is quite a hike away. If the option to self-park is available I will self-park every single time. The fact that I valeted shows how far the parking garage really is. The one bright spot of this hotel is that the valet is quick as a whistle. I have never had to wait for my car, even if I forget and call immediately before I leave my room. They always manage to have my car in front of the hotel like magic. Kudos to those guys, because awesome valet is hard to come by.

I will most likely stay here again, just because all my coworkers do. So it's not terrible, but it's not amazing either.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank N A
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns regarding your experience. Feedback from our guests is an important part of improving our service. We would like to take the opportunity to announce that we are currently in the process of installing wireless internet throughout the hotel. Also, as you pointed out, we offer free WiFi in the hotel’s common areas.

Your loyalty as a Gold Preferred Guest is deeply appreciated and we regret any inconveniences you may have experienced with access to the amenities of hotel under that status. Your patience with the brand policy changes is appreciated. As it is always our goal to create a relaxing and comfortable experience for our guests, please do not hesitate to reach out to our management associates during your stay should you need our immediate attention.

We will share your comments with our Restaurant Manager and staff, to address the issues you’ve shared. Our thanks on behalf of our Valet team for the attentive service they provided you. We hope that our focus on improving our quality of service will result in allowing us the pleasure of welcoming you back and regaining your confidence.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 31 January 2012

A very bland no frills hotel. If this is typical of Sheraton then the brand lags well behind Hilton and Hyatt. $22 for valet parking or $8 for an off-site garage (but it cost me more because no one mentioned you have to validate BEFORE going in and out. I had to pay to go out and then again afte rcheking out) The TV was supposed to get HBO and SHOWTIME, but those channels did not get reception. The other channels got poor reception. I'm sure there are much better hotel options for the price in Norfolk. More like 2 1/2 stars.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ALandSONJA
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
We deeply regret if there was any confusion during your visit with regards to parking. It is because of feedback such as yours that we are able to make the necessary improvements to ensure that all areas of our hotel exemplify the image of the Sheraton brand and we greatly appreciate you sharing your personal experience with us. Hopefully we will get another chance in the future to provide you with the 5 star stay you deserve. Thank you for your review.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Standard hotel rooms in terms of amenities: paper cups for coffee and a robe hook that fell off the bathroom door.

The banquet food is adequate at best, although the restaurant served a good, but unexceptional breakfast. The gym has decent equipment with lots of cardio machines and free weights, but no universal type machines.

Valet overnight parking is an outrageous $22 and the cost of the internet adds a lot to an otherwise reasonable tab.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view. There is a concierge floor available.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us. We want our guests to receive an exceptional experience from beginning to end and regret that there were some areas during your visit that did not reflect this. For a future stay, we offer a free parking package for AAA members. Link @ Sheraton, located in our lobby, offers complimentary wireless Internet and printing access for our guests to enjoy. Thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back!
Pocatello, Idaho
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Well appointed and very comfortable room for a great price from Priceline. Parking is a bit inconvenient and the Valet is $22 as a result. Gym was adequate with some cardio and dumbells. Pool was closed but would be fine for laps. Convenient to all Waterside and downtown Norfolk restaurants and activities.

• Stayed January 2012
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Thank you for sharing your review with us. Though we are delighted that you found the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel to be well-located, we regret that you did not experience convenience in all areas of your stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback and hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 24 January 2012

As a dedicated user of SPG hotels I come to the Sheraton Waterside regularly. Seems they have made some improvements lately but still just don't get what regular business travelers need.
Would you want to use the convenient desk power slot, (2 outlets), to plug in your computer and cell phone charger and have the TV on all at once? Not here.
Would you like a bartender that knew how to make a Martini? (Night 1), Not here.
Would you like a happy hour priced Martini? (Night 2), Not here.
Would you like a clean fresh smelling bathroom, (day 2), Not here.
With club access would you like it to be fully stocked with typical club food and drink? Not here, (Both nights 1 and 2. At this slow time of year must be difficult to stock).
Would you like the club to be open and ready to go on time? Not Here.
Would it be good if when you mentioned your dissatisfaction to the help – they would immediately offer to get a manager to work out a solution, sadly not here.
I’ve been to Sheratons all over the world and in the USA, this is the worst performing, least consistent Sheraton I have visited.

Room Tip: Waterside rooms face the ship overhaul dock across the river. Can be noisy if a ship is in overhaul...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
As a SPG member, we greatly appreciate your loyalty to the brand and your feedback. We regret that you experienced inconveniences during your stay with us. Our goal is to offer guests services that will ensure an enjoyable visit. Rest assured, because of the valuable feedback such as yours, we are already working on improving our services to address your concerns. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns.